Cutting granite counter [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

View Full Version : Cutting granite counter

02-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Been a while since I have posted a question on this board. Last time I was here I needed help with a bathroom renovation. Got help from very knowledgeable individuals and ended up with a great finished project. I need help again.

I am in the process of replacing windows in my house, from single pane to fancy smancy dual panes. The last window I am going to do is the one above the kitchen sink. Herein lies my problem. I have a granite countertop, (came with house). The granite counter top was cut to fit so that it butted flush to the single pane window. Problem is, the new window is much much thicker and will not fit. Can granite be cut in place with a 4" grinder w/ diamond blade, or do I have to try to remove the counter top and have it cut. Is this something I should attempt, if not who would I contact? (counter installer or a tile guy) I have no more than 2 inches that I need to cut the granite back and granite is probably 3/4 inch thick. Including pictures for reference. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links

02-17-2010, 11:48 PM
Daniel~Sure, it can be cut that way...probably with a "Turbo" style blade. Bear in mind that it'll cause a tremendous amount of dust. A helper with a shop vac behind the blade will cut down on it along with a fan in the window. Gotta go slow and keep the line straight, though. You probably could find a granite installer that'll do it for you pretty reasonably...they'll have all the tools and blades on hand.....

Tool Guy - Kg
02-18-2010, 12:37 AM
Around these parts, a granite fabricator wouldn't be terribly interested in doing a job like this. They'd charge at least a couple hundred dollars and tell you they wouldn't be responsible for anything that happened.

If you're inclined to do it yourself and you could remove that window ahead of time, you could mock the new window in position....and see exactly how much of the countertop you needed to remove. Mark your cut line accurately. Use bright tape with a very visible cut line. I'd put several layers of duct tape on the "good side" of the line in case you accidentally made a momentary slip and touched the top with the spinning blade.

Position positioning yourself (probably standing from outside) so you can hold the grinder firmly with both hands and so you can maintain control over the grinder.

I'd make one shallow scoring pass going "with" the direction of the spinning blade...then plunge in and make your cut against the rotation of the blade. Like Laz said, have someone with a shop vac to capture most of the dust. Definitely use safety goggles and a mask.

And if you were to close all the other windows of the house except one or two that you put a fan in them so they were drawing air into the house, there would be a lot of air blowing out that kitchen window opening where much of the dust you didn't vac would be blown outside. It'll still make a mess, though.

02-18-2010, 09:06 AM
Lazarus and toolguy, thanks for your input. I will be removing the window as I need to install the new window. Out with the old in with the new.
If I cut it my self, will I have to worry about the granite breaking off in pieces or will it cut fairly predictably?

02-18-2010, 09:16 AM
While there is always that chance, whoever does it...if, as Bubba said, you first do a scoring line and then take your time with the deep cut (let the cutter find it's own "pace") your chances are excellent of getting a clean cut.

02-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Here's another option that looks like it would just do the trick....but the cost would probably be about what a granite man would charge...

02-18-2010, 09:30 AM
To add to Bub's post there:

1. Wear a respirator (both you and the vacuum guy)
2. Wear ear plugs (again both of you)

and don't forget the :ducttape:

It will not only protect your counter top, but also make the cut line less chippy. If you go buy a dry cut diamond blade, look for one with more "teeth" - they cut better.

02-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Daniel, you can help control the dust by creating a tent out of painter's plastic and blue tape. If you are cutting from the outside just mask off the window opening at the casement, if you're cutting from the inside the tent will have to be a little bigger.

I'm curious how a diamond blade cutter will get into the corners?

02-18-2010, 05:26 PM
Geoff, concerning cutting into corners. Are you referring to where the counter top meets the backsplashes? If so , you'll note, in the second picture shows the backsplash in 2 pieces. I should be able to pull it from the wall and make a straight cut from edge to edge? If not what you are asking, could you clarify?

02-18-2010, 06:18 PM
I would suggest just cutting through the stone and into the drywall in stead of trying to pry off the splashes. From here it looks like the seams were filled with a 2 part poly adhesive. It is guaranteed to break out messy and be not so nice to try and "fix" back. It is easier to repair drywall imo.

04-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Thanks to everybody that replied. I set up a plastic tent to keep out the dust in the kitchen. Duct taped where I wanted to cut and went to work with a diamond blade attached to a grinder. Worked great, like cutting butter with a hot knife. Thanks again! :wohoo: