ledgestone panels on a large fireplace [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : ledgestone panels on a large fireplace

shawnharper
02-17-2010, 07:44 PM
I'm going to be installing Rox Ledgestone panels on a 8'x8' floor to ceiling fireplace. The fireplace is 60yr old brick, in very bad cosmetic shape.

I say going to, because I started today, and then had a mini-disaster, and am regrouping and starting over tomorrow.

Mini-disaster was a) I was using white thinset (dumb), and b) I mixed it too runny, and c) even though I knew it was too runny, I started applying it anyway. Well, leaks ensued, and I had to pull all the panels (luckily only 6) off the wall, and clean them and the wall off.

Restarting tomorrow, and looking for guidance. Anybody used these and have any good tips?

Was thinking of using a quick-set thinset this time.

Thanks,
Shawn

Sponsored Links

shawnharper
02-17-2010, 08:02 PM
adding pic of the fireplace.

JC
02-17-2010, 08:14 PM
Why would you cover that beautiful fireplace!

How are you going to deal with the arches..vents etc. with that ledger stone? do they even make the pieces to handle those situations. or are you gonna have to be creative.

Did you think this out thoroughly?

Those panels might look cool and all but if you don't handle these custom considerations appropriately it could look really bad when your done.

Im not going to tell you how to destroy that well crafted fireplace till you convince me you will be making an improvement.

How will you deal with the arches and the vents?

JC
02-17-2010, 08:21 PM
Not trying to sound harsh but that is in my mind a very nice old fireplace..warm and rustic....makes me want to build a fire and make smores.

How about just putting a new top on it?

shawnharper
02-17-2010, 08:41 PM
You can't see it in the picture, but it's really in bad shape.

Arches will become flat - I've already added arched supports in place.

The convection vents will be covered over - it's going to be a gas log set. In CA, they have restrictions on burning wood on many winter nights.

JC
02-17-2010, 09:02 PM
well ok then..but i still think the bad shape adds character.....

The best way is to mud the face, using a bond coat of modified mortar(much like your first mix) then use mortar mix and screeds and while the slurry coat is still wet embed that onto the brick at a thickness deep enough that you dont end up screeding into the bond coat which is sticky and deep enough to cover any outcrops of brick.

you can screw the screeds vertically to the brick make sure they are level and then remove them after the mud sets..then fill in the recesses using the same method.

Its a little tricky and a bit more then you want to tackle but it is the only way I know of to get a really flat wall and will make setting those panels much much easier.

Do a search here for mud walls and let me know what questions you may have afterwards.
You will see walls done with wire lath also..that could be done but I don't feel you need that..just bond directly with modified thinset.