travertine, filled or not filled. [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : travertine, filled or not filled.

dwc928s4
02-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Hello all, i did not post this to my daves steam shower post because i thought it was a bit off topic.

Anyway, i found some neat traverting tile i want to use, in the ivory color, and also a walnut color that i want to use for accent pieces.
My question, there is both Filled and unfilled. I like the unfilled, it really looks like true stone style i was looking for. Is either better for a steam shower ? would you want to use the filled ones that have less holes? If its ok to use the ones with all the holes, when you guys install it, do you grout over the entire stone filling in all the holes ?

:bonk:

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
02-17-2010, 04:01 PM
I would opt for the filled, Dave. The unfilled with fill up with grout anyway. :)

FA5_FLIP
02-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Hey Dave,

Take a look at my "grouting disaster" post. I am installing walnut unfilled travertine in my kitchen. Grouting this stuff is very difficult due to the amount of washing that is required to get all the grout off of the tile. I'm no pro and obviously did the grout incorrectly, but maybe this will help with your decision. And there are some pictures too :dance:

Davestone
02-17-2010, 07:02 PM
Phil sometimes travertine needs to be sealed first to aid in grouting.

I agree with JB,also the holes will continue to break apart as the hole on the backside is frequently bigger,like a bullethole.

ceramictec
02-17-2010, 08:20 PM
this was unfilled Travertine pavers we set in this home.(very little amount of holes).
grouted the holes, the travertine was first sealed with 2 coats sprayed from a bug sprayer.
grouting was easy and second wash with a towel left it perfect.

fourml8r
02-18-2010, 06:59 AM
filled is the way to go in a shower.

william35453
02-19-2010, 11:00 PM
if you use unfilled, inside of a year it will likely be filled with living thingies that will be hard to get rid of (and how you gonna wipe it down clean after showers?). more importantly even than that unpleasantness is this . . . if you examine a lot of those tiles, you will find that many of those voids will penetrate all the way through the tiles and thus will allow water to enter behind the tiles, pehaps starting mold growing there and maybe even leading to failure of the bonding and thus the job--maybe the studs, maybe the floor. what's that old cliche'? . . . for lack of a nail the shoe was lost, for lack of the shoe, the horse was lost, . . . all the way up to the war.