Why tile the ceiling [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Why tile the ceiling

cul8rkid
02-16-2010, 08:19 PM
Newbie here, great site. Demo'd my bathroom to the studs, installed shower pan and plumbing completed, my contractor inlaw completed drywall and framed shower, he explained I should tile my shower ceiling because it is only an eight foot shower. This shower will not have a door and will have about a 1 foot escape root for steam above the curtain. My tile guy says it doesn't need to be tiled and is reluctant to do it (is he lazy or maybe doesn't want to do it?). Money is not an issue but do you guys know what I should do? Is moisture the problem, is esthetics the issue or is it just preference? Thanks
!

Sponsored Links

Brian in San Diego
02-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Mickey,

Welcome to the John Bridge Forums! You've come to the right place to get an opinion because we are full of them here. I guess you could say we have an opinion and you're entitled to all of them.

I am presuming this is a standard shower not a steam shower, correct? If so, tiling the ceiling is a matter of personal preference. Some do it, some don't. I tiled up to the ceiling and stopped. Joe, one of the other moderators, tiled his. If you elect to paint the ceiling use a high gloss enamel and you won't have any problems with moisture.

Brian

jgleason
02-16-2010, 08:30 PM
Hi Mickey,

Strictly preference, if you want it tiled then your tile person should accomodate you.

Personally, I like having the walls tiled right up to the ceiling and the ceiling tiled too.

Brian in San Diego
02-16-2010, 08:32 PM
See, I told you Joe liked tiled ceilings! How did he know I mentioned him? He must have some kind of alert on his computer whenever his name is mentioned on the forum.

jgleason
02-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Yep, I'm watching you Brian. :shades:

:D

tileguynky
02-16-2010, 08:41 PM
It is up to you. I have done showers like you described with the walls being 10' and we tiled those ceilings. I seriously doubt much is getting up to the ceining. The glass door stops at the 7' mark, so there is a 3' gap above the glass door.Plenty of room to vent out.

Edit: My house has 8' ceilings and the ceiling in my shower is tileless.:suspect: Our shower door/glass is same height as the other doors in the bathroom.

Saldibs
02-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Either way is fine, I find that it's a 50 -50 split. Go with what you prefer, I will be tiling a shower stall ceiling tomorrow, next week i will be doing one with tile to the ceiling. Your choice.

silvercitytile
02-16-2010, 09:26 PM
yep i'd say its a preferance thing. and if u want it tell ur tile guy thats what u want:scratch:

andy_m
02-16-2010, 10:52 PM
Several months ago I put in a tub surround that was slab granite. The granite people refused to hang a slab on the ceiling (liability, they said - makes sense) so I put in tiles. Diagonal, with a border. It looks really nice and now I'm wishing I had been tiling shower ceilings all along!

tileguynky
02-17-2010, 07:15 AM
From contractor point of view, tiling a ceiling can be profitable. It amazes me how many guys in my area think a 6x6 is as big as you can install on a ceiling. They are totally shocked to hear that I install 18x18 on the ceiling. I will say this, I do figure at least a day to install a ceiling. Working upside down messes with my head. Among other things.
Posted via Mobile Device

Houston Remodeler
02-17-2010, 07:40 AM
I'm Italian. We tile everything. :) Your contractor may find using LASH or TLS will help http://www.qepbrand.com/lash/video.php