deck mud over cement [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : deck mud over cement

Crazy Pat
02-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Greetings !

Here's the thing: I'm building a bathroom and a custum built ceramic shower in my basement. Everything is ready to go for making deck mud shower base...I think... Defore I start with the Deck mud, I just want to know if I can put directly the deck mud over the cement floor (of the basement). My question is: Do I need to put a subfloor (Cement board/plywood + platic sheet + mesh) and then the deck mud or can I simply put the deck mud directly on the cement (floor of my basement)... will it stick to the cement floor?

Thanks for any, ANY advices on that...

Cheers !

ps: Great site by the way. LOTS OF LOTS OF INFOS. THANKS

Sponsored Links

chumbley
02-16-2010, 10:05 AM
Put a thin slurry of thinset down then throw the deck mud on top of it before it dries. The thinset will secure the deck mud to the slab.

Crazy Pat
02-16-2010, 10:40 AM
Great ! Thanks for the advice !

Crazy Pat
02-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Me again...

any advices on the type of thinset to use (modified or unmodified) and is there a recommanded brand ?

Thanks again !

Patrick

bbcamp
02-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Any kind of thinset, except premixed, will do. You are using thinset as source of Portland cement, which you could use instead of thinset.

Crazy Pat
02-16-2010, 11:43 AM
Hi Bob

Thanks for the quick answer. I was asking beacause I have some Mapei Kerabond and Megalite Ultimate performance..Will that be good enough?

Thanks agains !

Patrick

bbcamp
02-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Yes, provided they are not too old.

Crazy Pat
02-16-2010, 01:27 PM
Again, Tanks Bob !

They are about a week old ! My brother gave them to me after he finished his bathroom.

Thanks agins for your help, really appreciate it !

Cheers

Patrick