Cutting Installed Floor Tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Installed Floor Tile

FreddieJ
02-15-2010, 10:48 PM
I am replacing an exterior door in a wash room that has 18 x 18 porcelain floor tile already installed. The old door has a threshold that sits on top of the tile and the existing tile was run under the threshold and left a little ragged. The new threshold is the type that sits on the slab and the tile butts up to it with a grout (or caulk) joint between the tile and the threshold. Is there an easy way to trim a straight line in the existing tile so that it fits the new threshold? I have a Multimaster and was thinking that it might do the job. Will this take forever? If so, what would be a better way?

Sponsored Links

Houston Remodeler
02-15-2010, 10:54 PM
Do you have a right angle grinder? you can get grinding stones shaped like coke cans in varying grits. I would get a 36 grit and start on a slow speed to get the hang of it.

curegeorg
02-15-2010, 11:03 PM
i would not use my multimaster on that. what the above person recommended should be cool and i have seen other types of blades for angle grinders that are more like discs used to cut tile back for shower door installs, etc.

Houston Remodeler
02-15-2010, 11:11 PM
The reason I didnt recommend a disc is they are too easy to stray off course. At least for me.

FreddieJ
02-16-2010, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I have a 4-1/2" electric grinder. I think it's a single speed so I don't know if that would be the best for that job. I have extra tiles so I may end up removing the tiles at the door and replacing them with new tiles cut to the proper dimension. The only problem then would be in trying to match the grout. I have the original grout model number so, hopefully, that may not be a problem.