Dumb Question [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Question

Davery
02-15-2010, 12:11 PM
I know I'm not supposed to do this, but I'm going to ask anyway. I have a ceramic tile shower with tiles that look like natural stone. I really like the "wet look" of natural stone. I know I'm not supposed to put a "wet look" sealer on glazed tiles, but can anyone tell what would happen if I did? What if I used an outdoor sealer, such as Jasco Gloss Wet Look Cure Seal? Thanks!

Sponsored Links

Shaughnn
02-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Hi Davery.
The glaze on your tile is essentially "glass", albeit a more coarse kind of glass. You could paint a shiny treatment onto it, but it's not likely to endure as the installation ages, then you'll be left with a flakey, peeling mess. I advise against this plan, but you're welcome to build a mock-up and do your own testing. I've been mistaken before, you know. :)
Best of luck,
Shaughnn

evan1968
02-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Davery,
The only dumb question is the one you dont ask! From what i have seen, the sealer will leave a film on the tile. The glazed tile will not allow the sealer to penetrate and it will dry on top of the tile causing the film. Hope this helps.

Davery
02-15-2010, 03:22 PM
The glaze on the tile is now pretty "flat". Much more than when the tiles were new. I looked at an extra piece I had and I was surprised. It could be the hard water we have. Our water softener didn't work for over a year. Could this have etched the surface of the tile? Could there be calcium on the tile? That is what I originally thought. I have tried several things to fix this. No luck.

Anyway, I tiled a backsplash about 7 years ago with 2" ceramic tiles. I then covered the entire thing with a "wet look" sealer. It has held up very wel and I have never had to re-applyl. Of course, it doesn't get much traffic or water. I also used "wet sealer" on a floor mosiac I did in a bathroom about 4 years ago. The mosiac contains 1" unglazed tiles and larger peices of typical ceramic floor tiles. The "wet seal" seems to hold, but I have to re-apply every year. Of course, while this is on the floor it doesn't get too wet.

I'm not so much concerned about having to re-apply. I can do that. What worries me is the possibility of pealing. Thanks for your input.

Shaughnn
02-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Davery,
This could be a mineral scale or it could be etching caused by the cleaning products you use. I'm still not optimistic that a surface sealer is going to perform well in this situation, but your experience tells me it's possible.
Shaughnn

Davery
02-15-2010, 06:15 PM
I'm thinking it's not mineral scale on the tile. I have tried everything to clean the tiles and no luck. Some of the stuff I have tried even damaged some of the grout, which I have repaired. My guess is the tile has been etched. Would that make it easier for a sealer to hold? Would it matter if I used an outdoor sealer? Is there anything I can do that could prep the surface? I'm still trying to gather as much info as I can. Thanks for the help.