Shower floor - odd sized shower [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

View Full Version : Shower floor - odd sized shower

02-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Hi All,

I have a shower built in 1970s that is odd size: 54" x 30". I want to redo the shower. What would be the best method for me (first time DIYer) to use on replacing the shower floor. Kerdi system (would have to be trimmed due to odd size) or mud bed? Thanks for advice. FYI: in am in Wichita, KS.

Sponsored Links

Houston Remodeler
02-14-2010, 04:11 PM

Welcome to the forum. I prefer mud beds for a few reasons.

1- I am old school. Cement is a good thing.
2- I am cheap. Kerdi pans are $$$, they do save on labor costs, but that isn't your concern here right? Cement will cost you about $12.
3- You can shape the cement to your exact pan size and drain location
4- If you drop anything, you wont poke a hole in your cement pan.
5- A custom cement pan can be sloped higher to allow for pebble tile flooring
6- That great feeling of accomplishment you get from setting your first mud bed.

02-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the advice.
Makes sense. Also, I forgot to mention that the current location of the drain is not centered to the shower floor. It is offset to oneside about a foot.

02-14-2010, 08:07 PM
i used a kerdi pan in my my "odd size" remodel (48" x 72"). trimming the pan is easy. then when u tile, set the second row on a ledger board and then cut the first row of tiles to fit. real easy to do.

03-13-2010, 06:45 AM
Hi guys - working on that odd-sized redo. If I am planning on putting in Kerdi, do I have to tile all the way up to the ceiling? OR Can I just put Kerdi up 6ft. and tile up to there? Thanks.

03-13-2010, 07:06 AM
You can do it however you want to and stop it wherever you want. Just make sure wherever you have tile you have kerdi under it! simple:tup2:

03-16-2010, 07:41 AM
Hi All, (Stopped using the "Hi Guys" greeting, for respect for the ladies in the forum).

What would be the easiest/best way to remove old CBU, floor tile and the mud bed and still maintain the integrity of the plywood subflooring?

Houston Remodeler
03-16-2010, 04:32 PM
Flat shovel, pry bar, floor scraper or one of these bad boys ---

You'll be very lucky if the previous installer did a crappy job and put the CBU down with nails or staples only. Have you done any exploratory digging?

03-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks Paul,

Have not done any exploratory digging as of yet. I have enclosed some pics you and everyone can see what I am working with.

03-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Another shot of the CBU?

03-18-2010, 01:58 PM
An update:

I have pretty much gotten all of the CBU off and the curb is demolished. Yes, Paul, I got lucky, the CBU was stapled to the studs. The sledgehammer and prybar worked like a charm on the CBU and curb. I am down to the lead pan and the floor tile. Will tackle that this weekend. I will post some more pictures so all can see my progress. Now off to watch the NCAA March Madness...GO Jayhawks...

03-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Another update:

Have removed the Floor tile and mud bed. Down to the lead pan. It appears that the lead pan is placed directly on the subfloor (No plywood). The edge of the lead pan was folded down and was cemented into the middle of the curb. No liner, just the lead pan and the CBU. Next step take up the lead pan. Put down some 3/4 plywood and make sure the floor is level. Can't post pictures yet (The girls took the digital camera to NY City). Will take some pics on Sunday and post of the almost completed DEMO.

07-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Hi All,
I am planning on tiling the east wall, south wall, and west wall of the bathroom, up to 4 ft. high. Not quite sure on how to layout the tile. I am planning on only using bullnose on the east and west walls. The south wall at the 4 ft line will be under the cabinet and the shelf above the sink. There is a cabinet on the east wall. The bullnose is 12 x 3, however the space between the door frame and the cabinet is 12.5 inches. I am planning on using 6 x 6 tile for the remainder of the wall. So, not sure how to layout the bullnose. Do I cut it into 2 equal pieces to cover the distance? Then how do I layout the 6 x 6 tile underneath? The south wall height is equal to the dotted line (4 ft.) Thanks for any suggestions.

08-07-2010, 12:44 PM
HI All,

May have goofed. I replaced some sheetrock behind a sink in the bathroom. I was planning on tiling over it with 6x6. I taped and mudded the seams. Now am thinkig that was not the correct thing to do. Should I sand down all of the spacke, remove the tape? Prime over the tape and spackle? What is the proper way to fill the sheetrock seams to get them ready for tiling?
Thanks for any responses.

Brian in San Diego
08-07-2010, 01:24 PM

Go ahead and tile over it. If you're especially nervous then prime the mudded areas with Zinsser Cover Stain (available at HD). I moved this question in with your original thread for this project.

08-07-2010, 02:01 PM
I will give it a shot. I sanded down most of the excess, so, now it is just filling in the gaps. Thanks.

08-07-2010, 02:04 PM
You mentioned getting the area underneath the pan level...if you are doing a mudbed, don't worry about it, just draw a level line around on the walls, and build it up to that point. If you are planning on installing a Kerdi pan, then yes, it does need to be level first. Kerdi works fine with a mudbed, so don't let that influence you one way or the other about doing a conventional shower verses a Kerdi one.