Supporting weight of marble tile Shower [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Supporting weight of marble tile Shower

southernd
02-14-2010, 11:13 AM
Hello all,
this is my first post. I ran a search in the forums and Googled for an hour--but haven't really found the confirmation I am looking for--So, I aplogize before hand if my question is not accompanied with all pertinent info. My question is this:

1. In general, are 2x10 floor joists, spaced 16" on center, with 3/4" plywood flooring sufficient to support the weight of Marble tile?

Tile will be installed on three walls of 48"x48" shower (floor-to-ceiling), and on the shower floor in the corner of a second story 12'x12' room. The remaining flooring in the bathroom will be hardwood. Thanks in advance,

David

Sponsored Links

Lazarus
02-14-2010, 11:20 AM
The walls won't be as much of an issue as the floor. You can plug your numbers into the "Deflecto" found at the top of the page, but generally you'll need another layer of 3/8 plywood over the flooring, followed by a 1/4" layer of cement board, mortered down and screwed thoroughly to the second layer of ply. The screws should not penetrate into the floor joists.

southernd
02-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Laz,
Roger that on the floor prep. Thanks for the response. I'll be using Kerdi system for the shower. I just picked it up this afternoon. A little dissapointed with the shower base...seems a tad soft. I think I may be more comfortable with a mortar bed. If I remember correctly, the general consensus in this forum is to go with the mortar bed. If you have a professional opinion on using the Kerdi base, I'd like to hear it.

Cheers

Lazarus
02-14-2010, 05:44 PM
David~ The Kerdi base works quite well, if installed as per the instructions. It DOES require accurate placement of the drain and, trust this; it certainly holds up under anything you can throw at it. At one Schluter meeting, Dave Gobis drove a forklift over a piece of it that had mosiac tiles Ditra-setted on it. No failure!

As I said, "placement of the drain is critical," and lots 'O folks here would just as soon use a traditional mud bed. You save the $ on the Schluter pan and you can make it any way you want to (dimension-wise) and that's a plus.

Either way...."You pays your money and you takes your chances." I like using floor mud....but you can go either way.......