Quick Ones [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Quick Ones

HomeDepotAssociate
02-13-2010, 10:57 PM
A few quick questions;

* A person on a thread recently said you shouldent put thinset under CBU. True or False?

* Is thier any way to cut 12x12 porcelain tile without resorting to a tile saw? Is it possible to score and snap those? In my experience it isint, but then again ive been subject to correction on these forums before!.

* Is it critical to understand the deflection of your floor before laying tile and is thier a good thread on deflection for a layperson like me? I think im starting to understand it...

and finally...

* Can you justify eating a "Mac Wrap", as recently introduced by mcdonalds? Allright, that was corny.. ;) but i want an answer

Sponsored Links

Houston Remodeler
02-13-2010, 11:06 PM
1- depends on the application and where "under" is. Certainly you put thinset under cbu when doing floors.

2- we always try to score and snap every tile before resorting to the wet saw. It saves tons of time. But the success of that depends on the individual tile.

3- critical? Yes. Once you master the concept, you can apply those principles to your specific situations.

4- from McDonalds I usually get McGas

Tool Guy - Kg
02-13-2010, 11:09 PM
A) For floor installs, every manufacturer specifies the use of thinset under their board.

B) Absolutely you can snap them. Typically, the more you spend on tile snappers, the better they cut. The more expensive snappers Home Depot has will work okay...but you'll run into tiles that are give you grief. And realize they are on the low-end compared to really nice cutters like Sigmas that cost $300-$500.

C) You need to understand what floor layers make up your floor. And you need to understand how each of them positively or negatively affects your stiff tile floor. While joist deflection isn't as responsible for floor failures as deflection within the joists, you need to take a look at them to make sure they are up to the required L/360 or L/720 recommendations.

D) No. McDonalds seems to replace nutritional value of food with chemicals that make it more profitable to cook in 30 seconds or keeping in the freezer for extended times. Don't go there. Watch the film "Super Size Me (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390521/)". You can watch it right here on Hula (http://www.hulu.com/watch/63283/super-size-me).

:)

tileguynky
02-13-2010, 11:23 PM
Paul posted
from McDonalds I usually get McGas:lol1:

scuttlebuttrp
02-14-2010, 07:46 AM
About the thinset/CBU thing. Perhaps you read it wrong? Something is required I think in every case for floors. Some manufacturers require unmodified thinset, some say modified, some may even let you use mastic, and some don't care what you use as long as you use something. You have to look at manufacturers instructions.
If someone did say not to put anything under and it's against instructions; them you should feel free to correct them whether you do tile proffesionally or not.

John Bridge
02-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Hi Kontorsion, :)

We appreciate your coming here and asking questions.

And you can always refer customers here if you don't know an answer. We don't expect HD associates to know everything. We take exception, though, when they profess to know it all and give out wrong answers. Lot's of times, as Scuttlebutt reminds us, it's as simple as reading the directions.

I can't go along with using mastic under CBU, though, even if a manufacturer does suggest it. ;)

Davy
02-14-2010, 11:03 AM
For deflection, check the deflecto above in the blue bar. :)

Brad Denny
02-14-2010, 02:18 PM
Hey K,
You can play around with the Deflecto and keep a "max" span cheat sheet in your pocket while at work. Jot down the maximum length for 2x12's, 2x10's, and 2x8's 16" OC SYP for tile and for stone. With that you could at least steer someone in the right direction. :tup2:

HomeDepotAssociate
02-14-2010, 04:08 PM
oh man what a blessing the responses on this thread! i am humbled!
So then it sounds like I need to read a thread on deflection becuase there was some jargon that flew over my head. Ill be back with more questions soon and ill look into the responses posted here.
you have a really great site here mr. bridge

p.s lol@the mcdonalds answers.