greenboard or regular sheetrock for non wet bathroom walls. [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : greenboard or regular sheetrock for non wet bathroom walls.

sarayale
02-13-2010, 08:04 AM
I am building a new home with 8 bathrooms. Most of the bathrooms will be completely tiled. Here's the question: Should I use regular sheetrock as a tile substrate for non shower non wet areas or is greenboard or some other moisture resistant product better? The humidity in the room may be high at times although we will have vent fans that run automatically. I don't mind paying more for a product if it will perform better.

In addtion, for non wet bathroom walls that will not get tiled, same question, what is recommended substrate?

Sponsored Links

ddmoit
02-13-2010, 08:36 AM
Welcome to the forum, Sara.:yo:

Regular drywall is fine (actually preferred) in non-wet areas - tiled or not.

Where you are not tiling, use a paint rated for bathroom use, and make sure your bathroom is properly ventilated.

Shawn Prentice
02-13-2010, 10:13 AM
I use densarmor, mold/moisture resistant drywall. It's more expensive than regular sheetrock, but a great choice for a bathroom. Also, it's a bit more work to finish due to the fiberglass mat on the surface which has a different texture (rougher) than the taped joints and screws, so you'll need to do a level 5 finish per this link: http://www.gypsum.org/pdf/GA-214-M-97.pdf

Basically, it's just a final skim coat over everything after you're done taping.

bbcamp
02-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Sara, verify with your building inspector that they do not require greenboard in your bathroom (outside the shower area). Some still do.