fillen a polished travertine with [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : fillen a polished travertine with

york
02-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Ok there s about 400sqft of 12 by 12 polished travertine that has holes of diff sizes that eventualy get bigger over time what is the cure for this deterating floor.Grout has not been the answer

Sponsored Links

JC
02-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Why are the holes getting bigger? why didn't the grout work?

Factory travertine holes are filled by wetting the tile and putting in dry grout in the holes.

It is was a polished tile...it is kinda unusual that it has holes that were not filled from the quarry.

Got any pictures?

Is this indoor job?

ob1kanobee
02-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Prime the inside of the holes with 'fresh' thin-set before you put the grout in, otherwise the grout won't bond and hold the material together as well.

You could use a primer if you don't use thin-set.

REALLY pack the grout in too!

ceramictec
02-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Travertine is generally filled with epoxy at the factory before it is honed or polished. the epoxy area's wont crush or deteriorate.

what you have is actual weak or soft spot in the stone that will deteriorate with cleaning or wear over time. usually a new marble quarry has soft/sandy travertine and it will do this. the cheaper travertine does this a lot. they need to dig down deep into the earth to get the good travertine.

I fixed 400ft. of travertine that it was coming out all over the place in spots.
I cleaned out the holes and mixed a loose unsanded grout and pressed it in the holes, went through the whole area like that first. then I went back with a much stiffer unsanded grout and filled to the top. let dry for an hour and shaved it off with a razor scraper and buffed it out with a damp sponge. looked like new.

the best way is with an epoxy like Akemi, but I wouldn't do a floor like that and it's hard to work with in big area's

york
02-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the replys.The floor is inside and today I used some bellinzoni on it probably similar to kemi I did 3 feet and decided to look into other options.There are small holes and ones the size of a dime.Would spectra lock epoxy grout be a good idea I know its sandy.

ceramictec
02-12-2010, 06:07 PM
try a matching Unsanded, pack it firm, let it sit and shave it off with a sharp wall scraper.
then let it sit an hour and buff it with a damp sponge, not wet.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21F8B8RS1ML._SL160_.jpg

Davy
02-12-2010, 06:20 PM
It very well could be new places caving in from hi-heels. I had a floor do that a few years ago. I went back 3 times patching small holes that would cave in. Finally it stopped.

york
02-12-2010, 06:21 PM
I would like to do the unsanded method convincing the home owner is another thing they been putting unsanded grout in for the past two years and it comes out.Is ther a sealer that you would use afterwards that would help.Any reason not to use epoxy grout?

Davy
02-12-2010, 06:25 PM
I don't see a sealer doing much. Epoxy grout would work.

ob1kanobee
02-12-2010, 06:28 PM
On the bigger holes I would still take some fresh thin-set and put it in the holes with either your finger or a small brush or even a shaved to a point Popsicle stick.

If you don't think so, try and take a glob of grout and apply it to a piece of Travertine and do the same on another spot that has been primed and see which one is harder to remove.

It's called a non-mechanical bond.

We use to install about 100,000 square feet of travertine a year and repair the same problem you are having shortly and up to 5 years later. We found that priming the holes helped in the long run.

It is an inherent characteristic with Travertine. Like Brian said though, on going cleaning and original quality play a significant role as well as sealers.

I just saw where you posted the grout keeps coming out. Like I said, PRIME THE HOLES (non-mechanical bond). Plus you will sound smart if you tell them your gonna use a non-mechanical bond. It's no different than floating or flashing mud on concrete. If you don't prime it with something, it won't last.............same principal.

york
02-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Hey Ben how do you prime with thinset do you mix it real wet whats your style and whats the name of the other primer?What is a good sealer to use afterwards thanx

ob1kanobee
02-12-2010, 06:46 PM
For this application, on the wet side, with either a little stiff brush like the kind you apply plumbing solder with or anything to get it smeared around down in there.

For a primer, use Latex additive, either the runny kind or something thick like Laticrete (they make a thick one but I can't remember the name). You could also use High-Bond like they use for stucco.

Big holes, we used to inject 'Fix A Floor" down in there which is nothing more than that thick Latex in a tube. Sometimes the culprit is under the stone and you have to get something under there and that 'Fix A Floor' was the ticket.

For a sealer, I am partial to 'Stain Proof' by 'Dry-Treat'. It is 'high dollar' but the only 'high dollar' sealer I have ever used for just plain sealing without any other expectations such as enhancing ect. ect.

JC
02-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Looks as if we both might be wrong. The hole filler in tumbled and honed are made different material I know that.

I found this site.

read this:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Ugly-Holes-in-Your-Travertine?-Fix-Them-As-Easy-As-1-2-3!&id=2236509

kit is 29 bucks

http://www.mystonecare.com/Travertine_Filler_Kit_p/sptvf-k.htm

york
02-12-2010, 10:48 PM
so any objections to the use of spectralock epoxy grout why would it not work

ceramictec
02-12-2010, 11:34 PM
that sand wont get you the smooth finish you need, think about it, your travertine is polished and grout is sanded and textured.
your going to need to go with a epoxy and the buff the floor.

Floridastoner
02-13-2010, 08:19 AM
I would not bother with grout. It will be so visible in time. Plus it will have texture where as your travertine won't. And you have to do it twice to make sure it does not have shrinkage.

I would go with a product called Polyester Travertine Filler. Hard Rock Tools used to carry this product, they still do i am sure, but they closed their store here in longwood and I think you have to call their headquarters to get this product. It is a gray can and actually says Travertine Filler on it.

This thing is amazing. First of all, it is already colored to match many earthy colored travertines great. It comes with the hardener. Mix a little, apply with razor blade, it is like mashed potatoes but very thin. Once you pass your razor blade on it, it is as smooth as baby's b... . It dries within 3-5 minutes, so work in very small areas. go back and clean with acetone and take the excess off of it with a new razor blade. you're done and you will never have to worry about this guy ever.

By the way, a lot of travertines are not filled with epoxy. It is simply a mix of Calcid (which is stone particles ground down to 0.05 microns.) White cement and colorants. It is compacted dry with minimum moisture and then gets moist. After it is dried, it goes through massive honing and calibrating machines.

My family actually ownes a travertine quarry and factory. Anybody interested in process, I can actually explain better. i am grown into it and still find the whole process very exciting.

JC
02-13-2010, 02:43 PM
I guess this threads a wrap..thx Hakan and welcome