kzoomo's spectra lock question [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : kzoomo's spectra lock question

kzoomo
02-11-2010, 12:50 PM
have shower stall, poured cement base with liner that has been leaking at cracked grout joints. had curb torn out and rebuilt, new curb, tile, grout placed and 2 weeks later has shower walls replace - but all cracked and leaking again. possible that weight of tempered class shower enclosure is causing this. can spectra lok withstand this weight issue? can we remove just tile and grout and redo with spectra lok

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
02-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Hi, Mo!

I split your post out from the Spectralok thread because it looks like we'll be discussing your problem for a while.

You should not be counting on grout to hold your shower together (although we've seen showers where the grout was the only thing holding the tiles in place). Also, your shower shouldn't leak even if you scraped all the grout and caulk out and removed the tiles. The moisture barrier behind the backerboard and the liner under the floor funnel the water to the drain.

Tell us everything you can about how your shower was constructed, how old it is, what materials went into it, etc.

Houston Remodeler
02-11-2010, 02:04 PM
And if you have any "during construction" pictures, those would be very helpful.

hbrothberg
02-11-2010, 02:12 PM
While I love the idea of the versatility of SpectraLOCK ...

Our SpectraLOCK is a "grout, not a miracle ...!"

We are NOT designed to "hold your job together" or resolve fundamental design or installation issues ...!

BUT

Tell us more about your project ... and you may get some good ideas and advice on addressing your issues from various posters on this forum....

....and some of this advice or ideas MAY incorporate SpectraLOCK...!

Post some photos of your installation.

Henry

kzoomo
02-18-2010, 02:00 PM
sorry husband left for iraq much to deal with there what i forgot to post was that this is new build. shower liner and cement done by plumber. i tiled whole house this is only grout issue in house. tiles began to actually fall off 4 inch high curb on outside of shower. this exposed blackened 2 x 4s. after we tore out curb, new tile guy says liner too short ( it didn't go over the curb just up to second 2 x 4 in height.) so new guy extends existing liner. curb rebuilt, tile replaced, grouted. waited 2 weeks to get glass walls replaced. noticed cracked grout in one week of use. last month noticed drywall falling on car in garage due to leaking (shower over garage). this is new leak. haven't used shower in month. guess we will have to have entire floor redone from liner up. wall tiles holding.

jgleason
02-18-2010, 02:58 PM
Sounds like a faulty shower pan installation. It should have been flood tested prior to installing any tiles to see if it would leak or not.

Regarding tiles falling off - what product was used to set the tile in place? Was it thinset mixed from a bag with water or did it come out of a bucket already mixed? If you know the specific products used it would be helpful, as well as pictures as other folks have mentioned.

jgleason
02-18-2010, 02:59 PM
Oh yea, and whereabouts are you located? One of the pros on the board here may be in your area and could help directly.

bbcamp
02-18-2010, 03:05 PM
tiles began to actually fall off 4 inch high curb on outside of shower. this exposed blackened 2 x 4s.I seriously question this entire build.

kzoomo
02-18-2010, 09:26 PM
thinset mortar from bag was used sorry no pics and of course i now question the guy who put in lining, curb and cement i want to add that although subfloor adjacent to curb was also blackened by water damage none of those tiles were loose. i did pull up surrounding tiles, bleached subfloor several times. we then let it dry out for 2 months before beginning liner extension and curb rebuild. thinking liner extension didn't work! can't see under cement but it seems water was leaking at curb. have not pulled garage drywall out to check subfloor since it is winter in michigan

kzoomo
02-18-2010, 09:30 PM
rereading posts i see that bbcamp speaks of scraping all grout and caulk out

no caulk used where would it have been used

Houston Remodeler
02-18-2010, 10:56 PM
Some of us like caulk at the corners where different planes meet. Others just grout everything shut.

Snets
02-18-2010, 11:24 PM
Bob Said......
I seriously question this entire build.

Mo, a properly built shower (waterproof) does not rely on the tile, grout or any caulking in tile joints to be waterproof and leak-free. A properly constructed shower starts from the ground up way before any tiling.

It sounds to me like your plumber or shower contractor may not have known what he was doing. That is unfortunate but now that you are here on this site, you are armed with all of the knowledge you need to either fix it yourself or force the builder to rebuild the shower from the ground up. No amount of caulking or grout will fix a leaky shower.

Read the threads in the Liberry (http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&f=8&page=1&pp=60&sort=title&order=asc) regarding proper shower construction. The folks here will steer you right.