To grout ot not [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : To grout ot not

Hammy
02-10-2010, 08:16 PM
The decor strip was chosen as a border for the outside of a shower. Everything was set or will be, with an 1/8" grout line. Would you recommend setting it flush together w/o grout or keep the 1/8" spacing? How would you grout it? I thought about grout in a caulking gun, grout bag, or ????? Top pair is flush, lower one has 1/8" space. Hammy

Sponsored Links

Autoplay
02-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Butt joint,no grout

Davestone
02-10-2010, 08:27 PM
I've used that many times and always grouted it but in retrospect maybe the buttjoint would look better especially since the joints are so tight anyway.Hard to clean them up even grouting with your finger.

JTile
02-10-2010, 08:32 PM
I would set with the grout joint and finger in the grout. This is some similar tile I did.. grout was Spectralock.

ceramictec
02-10-2010, 08:32 PM
will they line up with the field tile ?
if so keep the 1/8" grout joint. push it in with your finger.
I wouldn't butt and leave out the grout myself.

ob1kanobee
02-10-2010, 08:33 PM
If I were grouting this I would have a toothbrush ready to start brushing (the tile of course).

I would put it in with my finger or helper's finger and brush almost right away.

Might get one of those dental tools Gauezeman has, it is metal.

Hammy
02-10-2010, 08:53 PM
The border will not be lined up with any other joints. Kinda on purpose. Hammy

ceramictec
02-10-2010, 09:36 PM
but seriously, look at Justin's picture and tell me you wont notice it not grouted.

you can try to leave it but it will stick out like a sore thumb.

The Kid
02-10-2010, 09:39 PM
agreed, grout it. match the joint on the field.

ob1kanobee
02-10-2010, 09:43 PM
I would say don't grout it and if it looks like doo doo then grout it last. I think it will need to be grouted as Brian and Jeremy stated.

I would grout it but it would be the last thing I did so I could take my time and not stress while trying to grout everything else and it at the same time.

JC
02-10-2010, 09:52 PM
That looks like a 1/16 joint in the picture to me. Anyways I agree to grout it.

Use a masons bag and wipe it off as you go. or sometimes you can let it firm up and strike it. You can even butter the edge of the tile with grout as you set it and strike it when your done..just like brickwork...hey whatever it works rite.

Muddman
02-10-2010, 09:54 PM
when I grout those kind of pieces I tape over them, getting the tape into the contours as much as possible, then cut the edges with a razor. Then after I have floated the grout I remove the tape, and then sponge. Much less detailed cleanout work.

MNTileGuy
02-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Those suck to grout, but I agree that it would look worse not to.

Using a half sponge cut at a 45 will help you clean the grout from the nooks and crannies too.

Greg Larkin
02-10-2010, 10:00 PM
I would grout it. I usually run a piece of blue tape down the grout joint covering both pieces. Then use a sharp utility knife and just cut the tape out of the grout joint and leave the tape on the field until I'm done Usually works pretty good for me on deco's and such, the grout doesn't tend to get into all the tiny crevices.

The Kid
02-10-2010, 10:05 PM
blue tape is defenitly the way to go. its just fast and easy.

ceramictec
02-10-2010, 10:20 PM
blue tape is defenitly the way to go.when I grout those kind of pieces I tape over themclean the grout from the nooks and crannies too.:tup2:

JC
02-10-2010, 10:37 PM
I don't think so..to me it's time consuming and messy and its hard to get the tape to conform...then sometimes the tape won't come off easy.
Try buttering the edge of the tile(non-sanded) or setting a small amount of grout on the top of the last tile you set(sanded) and pressing it together and scoring it later with a drillbit or tuck point..

Thats not really a very hard tile to grout but I have had some mosaics that were split faced stone look with voids where I had to coat the wall with a bond coat of thinset then trowel a thick bed of grout to that then tap in the mosaic till the grout came through the holes and left it looking like round grout if you know what I mean. Then using a mixture of sugar water I washed it down with a paint brush to get the grout looking natural and leave the stone with no residue.

JC
02-10-2010, 10:42 PM
oops someone posted while I was still writing, Now that last post is a good tape job..You have round edges on the tile to hold onto. every tile is different animal I guess

LAN1870
02-11-2010, 02:44 AM
I would grout it and apply grout with finger. I just grouted a tile like that a few weeks ago. It was real easy.

Autoplay
02-11-2010, 05:07 AM
CeramicWreck(couldn't resist lol) I did those exact same plastic medal bars you used around that niche,a few months back. I butt jointed everything,taped off prior to grouting etc etc...was still a bear to grout,detailing with a cut sponge and nylon brush etc.

Your niche,the miters are kinda big,and show a different color in comparision to the liner(I know it's the grout color). Personally,I don't like that look.

Homies picked out the materials,and purchased the liners at Lowes.
Think I have pics somewhere,if you interested lol.

Brad Denny
02-11-2010, 05:20 AM
You mighta said, but are you actually running two parallel rows there Hammy?
I like to tape and grout. Most of the time you have to grout the top joint and bottom joint adjacent what ever field tile you have. The taping seems to actually save time not having to be extremely careful when grouting up next to the trim. I'd come back after you've finished the field, as others have said, remove the tape, and force grout into the vertical joints.

Hammy
02-11-2010, 05:32 AM
There is only 1 row of trim on the outside of the shower doorway. It is being used instead of bullnose on the door facing. so grouting will only be between the 2 abutting tiles. Due to the concensus here I will grout it and use blue tape as needed. Thanks all, Hammy

opiethetileman
02-11-2010, 06:26 AM
welll i will drop my nickel for thoughts....... i would grout it as you set it...I have done it that many times...at least the verictal joints......not grouting it will allow water to go in that joint.....plus that being resin hard to say what is right or wrong....we all make our own better judgement calls in the feild no ONES WAY IS RIGHT OR WRONG...that is why we all pick our brains and noses

brain whats up witht he dot that close to the niche.......to me i would have left it out...but if it was a pattern of 3 to a dot or something that makes sense:bonk:

opiethetileman
02-11-2010, 06:27 AM
hey brain another trick i have used was a dremel tool with a wore out wire brush in it...set it on low and that way ya dont have to pick at it with the dental pick

Mountain Tile
02-11-2010, 07:17 AM
I always tape stuff like that, Duct tape works better then blue tape. When you tear off a piece it's straight, and sticks in the contours better.

ceramictec
02-11-2010, 09:28 AM
brain whats up witht he dot that close to the niche.......to me i would have left it out...but if it was a pattern of 3 to a dot or something that makes senseyes it was a random pattern and I ran it to the left of the niche without one and the homeowner
asked for one to be installed to the left. it did look weird without one there.
never tried the Dremel, I have one but never though of it. thanks. :bonk:

Your niche,the miters are kinda big,and show a different color in comparision to the liner(I know it's the grout color). Personally,I don't like that look.they are the same size joint. just haven't rubbed the grout powder off it yet in that pic.
the lighter grout does stand out on the darker bronze looking deco.
Think I have pics somewhere,if you interested lol. your work or your bosses ?(couldn't resist lol) :moon:

JC
02-11-2010, 09:52 AM
I hate it when a customer ask me to do random...there is no such thing..even a super computer will eventually repeat itself...saw a documentary about it.

Maybe theres random in nature but with tile its hard sometimes to make something truly random..sorry bout the rant just a pet peeve of mine.

ob1kanobee
02-11-2010, 11:56 AM
I LOVE random. Does that make me a super computer? :uhh:

I suppose I could repeat myself based on my calculations after say a, (calculating......) a gazillion square feet. I'm ready to give it a shot! Any big jobs for me? :jack:

java
02-11-2010, 12:31 PM
I like random also.

It's all about balance.

opiethetileman
02-11-2010, 03:12 PM
yo BRIAN...see i can spell.....hey we all do what they tell us .....yeah try a dremel dude its sweet

Autoplay
02-11-2010, 03:19 PM
My work or my bosses? Don't understand your question Brian,As I'm my own boss,and the job I'm referring to,was subbed solely from I. I work out of two shops in town....and the job I did,was a referral from a GC that was on a job(bro in law if I recall).

On that job,was funny....I was in Lowes 1 night,and saw this couple laying out decos etc,and talkin to a sales rep. Didn't say anything to em(didn't know em)and went bout my business. 3 weekes later,I'm at their house,givin estimate,and I see the decos etc they want to use,and it dawned on me,that was the couple in Lowes.

I looked for pics on this puter,and not here. I formatted my puter a few months back,so they gotta be on my backup drive in other room. When i get to em,I'll put em up. Don't want you losin sleep etc/grin

opiethetileman
02-11-2010, 03:26 PM
hey I thought of this on the way home...with deco like that if the mortised a male and female end like a door jamb.....ya wouldnt need to grout because it locks or stacks it self on top of the other one..........

JC
02-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Jason thats not random..the top two in the middle look like the top two on the right.:)

ceramictec
02-11-2010, 06:28 PM
yeah those plastic resin deco's at Lowes aren't the straightest or in size.
some are as crooked as a banana.
wonder why they are selling them for 1/2 price now.

opiethetileman
02-11-2010, 06:30 PM
well the crooked bannas kind go with the walls of florida...............

ceramictec
02-11-2010, 06:46 PM
:yeah:

Hammy
02-12-2010, 06:00 AM
These deco strips will be mounted outside of the shower entrance like trim around a door except there is no trim at the top of the opening as the opening goes all the way to the ceiling. Just a strip on both sides of the shower opening. Make any sense? Hammy

Hammy
02-13-2010, 03:58 PM
Ok thanks for all the suggestions........... I installed them without grout. I laid out both sides of the door. Butted all the pieces together. Then I polished both ends of each piece until I had a perfect fit. Then I back-buttered each piece being very careful not to get thinset close to the edges and slapped um on the wall. Hammy

ceramictec
02-13-2010, 05:07 PM
yeah that's different, looks good and no grout could be done outside the shower in the non wet area.
wouldn't leave no grout in the shower area for mildew to form.

Tiletim
02-13-2010, 05:20 PM
Looks good Hammy - can barely see the joints

opiethetileman
02-13-2010, 05:24 PM
nice one hammy...........never seen it installed that way........i guess ya learn something new everyday

Autoplay
02-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Looks good Hammy!

If a natural stone Listello(which is rare) a person could grind shavings of the stone,and make a mixture of it,to use as a grout filler,if joints etc.

Anything go above the header? If so,miters or corner pieces?

gueuzeman
02-13-2010, 06:35 PM
blue tape is defenitly the way to go.

I disagree, Jeremy- Green tape. :moon: :)

Random is tough to do and not have an area either light or heavy on the mix. Penrose tiling does not repeat, if I understand our friend in Montreal correctly.

Hammy- very sharp. And the walls are what 12 x 18?

MarkTarkus
02-13-2010, 08:52 PM
I know this is beside the point and too late, but when I have to grout listello pieces or other hard to clean stuff I use my wife's Pampered Chef Easy Decorator. She finally just bought me one to keep in my trailer. It has many different sized tips.
I did a wainscot job last summer with 180 linear feet of this seashell looking oceanside glass piece. It grouted pretty easy with my frosting gun. Yeah baby!

Hammy
02-13-2010, 11:55 PM
Thanks fellows on all the kudos. I think it turned out pretty well. No, there is no header over that door opening. So didint have to miter the corners.

Hammy- very sharp. And the walls are what 12 x 18? gueuzeman

No they were actually 10 x 14.

Mark, I like the Pampered Chef Easy Decorator idea. might look into one of them.

Hammy
02-13-2010, 11:59 PM
funny thing that border tile was suppose to be installed at approximately 60" off the floor. But oops, I forgot to put it in, so the designer didnt want me to tear out several feet of tile to fix it. So they said lets do something else with it. I was willing to tear it out, but they said nope, wont have it. So I agreed. Hammy

java
02-14-2010, 09:20 AM
Hammy, that looks pretty cool really.

Did you say that you polished the ends to fit tight?

Hammy
02-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Hammy, that looks pretty cool really.

Did you say that you polished the ends to fit tight?

Thanks Jason. In order to give me a really tight fit, I took a fine rubbing stone and sanded / polished the ends to make them fit better. Actually they werent too bad to start with, but I made them better. I probably just removed some mold trash but it worked I think. Hammy