grout discoloration [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : grout discoloration

marklaken
02-10-2010, 05:17 PM
so I tried my hand at grouting last night and everything turned white.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40779388@N06/4347166064/

the pile to the lower left is crumbled grout I found in a corner after grouting, the pile center left is the white chalky looking grout at the end of my work (the worst area), the small pile to the right is crumbled grout form the bucket and the large glob is also from the grout bucket.

The whiteness is throughout my work.

I used TEC "light smoke" sanded grout in 1/8" joints with the 70 ounce container of Grout Boost for sanded grout and added 2 ounces of tap water to the grout boost. We do not have very chlorinated or hard water here.

I used very clean water and a sponge and did an initial wash with a very dry sponge and light pressure at about 5-10 minutes after application, then a second wash at about 30 minutes with medium pressure (once dry haze appeared) and a third wash using DuPont's tile haze remover watered down 8:1 at about 1 hour after grout had been applied with medium pressure. I did not try to avoid grout lines during any washing, but I did try to avoid applying heavy pressure to the grout.

Grout started turning white within an hour after the final wash.

I plan to remove it tonight while it is still curing (only about 90 LF of grout to remove - it comes out easy with a utility knife right now).

I want to try again tomorrow, but I am curious what I did wrong - I think even though my sponge was clean and very dry, I ended up using too much water during clean-up - my only thought is to not do haze clean up until after an hour and possibly not use the Dupont product until the next day. - I am worried about haze removal, though. Am I on the right track?

Sponsored Links

jondon
02-10-2010, 05:37 PM
Its hard to pinpoint the problem but I will say when grout turns white in many cases, too much water has been introduced into it. This can happen very easily. When your grouting and wiping with your sponge make sure you are ringing out your sponge, thats important. If your not getting the water out of it like you should you are bringing more water into that grout then is intended and more than likely caused your problem. Give it some time to dry too before you clean the haze.

Its good you can get it out and redo it, your lucky. Good luck and let us know how it turned out the second time around!:dance:

Houston Remodeler
02-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Grout should be very stiff when it is properly mixed. As you work it into the joints it softens.

marklaken
02-10-2010, 05:47 PM
the grout was very stiff - I wouldn't eat peanut butter that was as stiff as the grout - I wasn't sure if it was the grout boost or what, but it was not fluid at all and seemed clumpy, but wet. I am sure it was well mixed - I only made about 3lbs of it and mixed with both a low speed drill and a margin trowel and let it slake for 10 minutes prior to spreading it...I followed all the directions on all the product boxes (Tec grout, Grout boost, and Dupont Haze remover)...

Muddman
02-10-2010, 06:59 PM
I would say one possibility is you used the grout haze remover too soon. You are supposed to let the grout cure before exposing it to any acidic cleaner. If you did this only an hour after you grouted that could have done something.

marklaken
02-11-2010, 09:15 AM
The dupont haze remover product says to use diluted 8:1 solution for initial tile cleanup and then to use a more concentrated solution after 72 hours for haze removal. I used plain tap water for initial cleanup, then thought I'd try the stuff (free from a friend's recent small tiling project). I think it got stuff a little cleaner than just the plain water - it seemed slightly soapy.

Last night I tried the 50/50 vinegar/water solution and I think that helped the grout discoloration quite a bit. A quick once over and I can live with the color which is close to the grout color that was in the bucket. Now I guess the trick will be to try and get the same color tone for the rest of my floor...