Slab with expansion joints and brick border [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Slab with expansion joints and brick border

tilerite
02-06-2010, 11:37 AM
I have a customer with a 200 sq. ft. cement porch that has expansion joints and a brick border. The entire area is too be tiled. As some of you know; Custom Easymat (non stick) is my preferred choice for underlayment and I told the homeowner that my proposal will likely include installing Easymat for crack isolation. I pride myself on being efficient and do not like to run up costs unnecessarily. Is it possible; that going the Easymat route, which will add $2.00 sq. ft. to the overall cost of the job, is overkill? I suppose I could use crack isolation membrane over the expansion joints and brick as I've done in the past but its so much easier to cover the whole porch. Opinions??

Sponsored Links

Davestone
02-06-2010, 11:52 AM
In these times it's necessary to cut back, i have done many just covering the problem areas myself with roll ons and membranes,just try to stay within the tcna guides with caulk and such....which is virtually impossible with diagonal installs.

tilerite
02-06-2010, 07:14 PM
I've done the same in the past but in this case, it may be best to cover the whole thing, The brick edge makes me nervous and the builder went overkill on the expansion joints. I'm thinking it will actually be less work to just roll over everything.

cx
02-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Rick, I think you might wanna check with CBP about bridging across expansion joints with that product.

And if that's an exposed porch, I think you aughta consider a waterproofing membrane to go along with it.

My opinion; worth price charged.