Redoing Shower in Basement question [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Redoing Shower in Basement question

dduclos88
01-29-2010, 07:54 AM
I have never done any tile work and have no idea what is a reasonable quote to redo my tiled shower in the basement.

It is a 4x4 1/2 shower pan with 7 1/2 foot walls. The floor outside of the shower is 4 1/2 X 5 feet, so it is a small bathroom. The quote I have is for me to gut to the studs and they will build the shower walls (cement board), seat in shower, waterproof the pan, new drain (there is already a drain, just an old cast iron looking thing), porcelain tile (large tiles) the walls, pan and floors. The quote is 4000. Is this reasonable? I realize that it may be impossible to tell me for sure. Any advise would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
01-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Don, installation costs for the simplest shower can vary all over the board, depending on you location, choice of materials, additional details, features, etc.

Consider this: pros will figure the costs based on materials and time. The material costs are beyond their control, but labor costs are based on how many days they will spend on the job and how much they need to make each day to keep afloat. Travel costs have to be considered, too. If your shower needs as much work as you say, your guy may estimate 4 days of work and he may need to make $500 a day. There's $2000 right there. He may have to hire a plumber to do the drain (depending on your local laws), and the plumber may have to charge $300 or more. Note: I'm just throwing numbers around, but I think they illustrate the difficulty of quoting a job over the Internet. YMMV ;)