grout sealer [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : grout sealer

mntgoat
01-20-2010, 09:34 AM
We will be grouting in about a week several areas, some with pretty high traffic.
I have never had good results with grout sealers and my grout always ends up pretty dirty over time (other than the epoxy grout).

What kind of sealer or method for applying should I be looking at? this is mostly for porcelain tile.

Thanks,

--Carlos

Sponsored Links

MudMaker
01-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Carlos,
Grout sealer protects from stains not dirt.. All grout gets dirty over time..

mntgoat
01-20-2010, 09:41 AM
But if it was sealed I would expect to be able to clean it, or am I misunderstanding something?
What I want to prevent is for the light grout to get darker and darker over time.

surgeon
01-20-2010, 09:46 AM
Kind of sealer? Lots of variations. Most here like aquamix. Have tried a couple and like most here, 511 Impregnator has been good. Apply with paint brush, bottle applicators, spray, etc. Have to reseal every few years or less depending on the abuse.

Madam
01-20-2010, 10:05 AM
How large an area? You might want to try Spectralock epoxy grout. It never needs sealing.

surgeon
01-20-2010, 10:16 AM
Agree with Jane. If you are just starting out, look into epoxy. I am doing porcelain with full epoxy (floor/wall) like Laticrete Spectralock, Mapei Opticolor. It will be near maintenance free.

mntgoat
01-20-2010, 10:25 AM
I think it might be too large for the epoxy grout if we want to stay in budget. Unless you can tell me of a place to get it cheap other than lowes?

We've used epoxy on a granite top we did once, and on a bathroom floor and loved it.

--Carlos

MudMaker
01-20-2010, 10:51 AM
How do you clean the grout? If you take a rag or a sponge or mop across the grout you are just wiping the dirt back into the roughness of the grout. It's like trying to clean sandpaper with a sponge or rag.. Ideally, it would be best to scrub the grout with a mild soap solution rinse and suction it out of the crevices.. Epoxy grout is great but it too gets dirty.
It's like when you clean your concrete patio with a high pressure sprayer - you blast the dirt out of the concrete profiles.. and then rinse it

Madam
01-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Carlos,

We bought Spectralock here:

http://www.tilestoreonline.com/Spectralock_pro_epoxy_Grout_s/55.htm

We bought the commercial units and only mixed "mini" sizes when we grouted.

mntgoat
01-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the link, thats great.