Now I REALLY need your help [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Now I REALLY need your help

Pages : [1] 2

longduk
10-09-2003, 08:31 AM
I got really good at ignoring that post but unfortunately I've been ignoring my bath project too. Here's why, my dad has emphesema and was hospitalized recently. We all expected the worse (cancer) but turns out it was just severe pneumonia. He's home now and doing just fine.

Here's what I need your help with. After 25+ years of two pack a day smoking I QUIT.

John, I know you have and I'm sure a couple of others here have.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links

davem
10-09-2003, 09:13 AM
Glad to hear your Dad is going to be OK. :)

Keep your mind on WHY your quitting. I used to dip chewing tobacco, and when my Dad died of cancer I quit. I slid back into it, but when we had our first child, it became important to me to quit again.

It's corny, but I tell myself I want to dance at my grandkids weddings.

longduk
10-09-2003, 09:20 AM
Thanks Dave. What's corny about that?

cx
10-09-2003, 09:42 AM
Good for you, Bob! :)

Mark this down as one of the best decisions you've ever made. You'll get plenty of support hereabouts, on accounta we have some longtime quitters (moi, amongst others) and some fairly recent quitters. We know it ain't easy; we also know it can be done.

Flatfloor is the expert on getting the right nicotine substitutes and other such aids. In his fair state of NY they wisely spent their share of the tobacco suit money on actually helping people get off tobacco. As I recall, he was able to get the stuff free. Unfortunately, in most other places you'll hafta buy the stuff, but apparently it is very helpful.

We've had some long discussions about this very thing and next time you want a smoke you can do a search instead. Here's one of them: http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=528&highlight=quit+smoking

As I've offered before, send an email to this address and I'll give you a couple phone numbers that you can call 24/7 when you want to talk to a real anti-smoking asshole former smoker about the benefits of what you're doing: clasified.

It ain't easy. It'll take a long time. It's worth it. :shades:

Had to take out the email address on accounta I didn't know that was a spam magnet. You can find me through the site, though. :)

longduk
10-09-2003, 09:56 AM
Thanks CX,

No nicodemon substitutes for me though. Only prolongs the agony. Cold Turkey.

http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_03_07_NRT.html

cx
10-09-2003, 10:11 AM
Well, that guy makes some sense, but whatever it takes is what I recommend. It was cold turkey for me. That was 34 years ago. But I can still tell you with some certainty that he is not necessarily accurate about the peak of withdrawal being at 72 hours. You might not even think you've peaked for a couple weeks. But it will happen. It takes a good deal longer for the physical effects to diminish to near zero, though. After that, it's all psycological, but don't be fooled into thinking that makes it easy - it only makes it easier.

Biggest aid I found was ego. I told everyone I knew that I had quit. After that, no turning back for me. Pride is a powerful drug too. :)

longduk
10-09-2003, 10:21 AM
Well CX, in that case, 34 years is something to be pretty damn PROUD of:bow:

davem
10-09-2003, 10:53 AM
Edit that post CX or the spam is going to start rolling in. ;)

John Bridge
10-09-2003, 05:24 PM
Dave, I think CX actually wants the spam. Otherwise, he wouldn't get any mail. :D

Bob,

The heck with that macho cold turkey talk. They make the drug, and it's over-the-counter. I used the patches for two weeks, and everyone will tell you, I'm a very macho guy. :D

Here's what you do. But only the first package of patches which is good for a week or two. For the first week wear the patch. The second week, cut the patches in half and go for a week or two that way. I actually quartered the patches before I realized how stupif that was. :D

It has been about four years for me now. My wife Patti quit several months ago and is doing fine. She gained a little wait, but I told here I would rather have her that way than sick or dead.

I don't know about that peak withdrawal stuff. Takes a couple months at least before you can relax a bit.

cx
10-09-2003, 06:01 PM
Well, I took it outa there, Dave, thanks. I didn't know that was a spam problem. :eek:

How come them little spider thingees can find that but not the address available in my profile? Will I ever understand? :confused:

And I do not want no steenkin' spam, Mr. Bridge. Why don't you go write a tile book or somethin'! :mad:

I'm glad I didn't meet Ms. Patti until she had quit. First impressions are sooo permanent, eh? Glad you did that Patti. :)

Steven Hauser
10-09-2003, 07:03 PM
Hi Bob,

Well it seems you got all the advice.

I will add that the psychological pull is stronger than the physiological pull.

I suggest you substitute the habit with an incompatible habit.

My oldest child is 7 years old and my wife and I quit then. Smoked for 17 years before that.

I am now a long distance competitive runner who loves marathons.

Best Steven

flatfloor
10-09-2003, 07:30 PM
Many people quit and fail, in fact most do. Thing is don't QUIT trying. I fell off the wagon but got back on. :)

longduk
10-09-2003, 07:56 PM
Thanks Guys, I really appreciate your pullin for me. I knew you would, that's why I came here. You're all just a bunch of good ol' boys tryin to help. God Bless Ya.

Anyway t-1:20. Quitin at 9:05 cdt tonight. If any of ya been to St. Lou. in the 60's/70's ya might get the 9:05. (World's cheapest beer .99 a six).

Just went to the store and got a bunch of quit smokin' aids. Carrots, Celery, Radishes, fruit juice, gum etc.

Gonna try it without the nico-aids. If that doesn't work I'll do it the other way.

WHAT EVER IT TAKES. Keep talkin' to me I'm going to really need ya for a while. CX, I may just take you up on your offer.

Good news is I think I'm gonna have LOTS of extra energy. Maybe I'll get that bath done:D

Bad news is I think I'll have to lay off the brewski for awhile. Can't imagine having a beer w/o a cig.

Good news, I hear (John) once you get your tasteBUDS back, they taste even better.

davem
10-09-2003, 08:27 PM
Yep, that mental pull is nasty. It's great to be clean though. :)

Only you can get to the page where your email can be seen CX, them spiders don't know your password. ;)

John Bridge
10-09-2003, 08:59 PM
And CX, we don't sell your info. ;)

Taste buds come back in a few days. Coffee is the first thing I noticed didn't seem to taste right. ;)

I did not quit drinking beer. I doubled up and increased my intake. Did the same thing with food. Got me a belly I never had during the 40-some years I smoked. But my cardiologist is immensely happy I quit. He doesn't even bitch me out for drinking too much beer. :D

My phone number is on the front page of my real web site. Heck, it's in the Yellow Pages. :)

281-550-1124

cx
10-09-2003, 09:42 PM
I emailed him my numbers - don't want them damn spiders gettin my phone numbers. :D

Still don't understand, Dave. If anybody on here can click on my email thingee and send me a message, how's come them spiders can't do the same and send everybody some spam? :confused:

When somebody axes me for my email addy on other sites I always give'em JB's addy on accounta he gots one of them high powered filters, eh? :p

Maybe that's how come I never git the stuff I order. :(

Flatfloor: How come you never tole us when you fell off the wagon so's we coulda helped you back on? We wouldn't have made fun of you or nothin' like that. :rolleyes:

John Bridge
10-10-2003, 06:26 AM
When someone emails you something through this server, they can't see your email address. Dave keeps it locked up in the secure area of the data base. Only Dave and I have keys, and he discourages me from going in there, and he for sure is not going to allow any spiderbots in there. :D

longduk
10-10-2003, 07:37 AM
OK, I pulled the trigger, the race is on.

It ain't much but:

Free and Healing for 10 Hours and 35 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Hour, by avoiding the use of 18 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $1.57.

:yipee: :dance: :yipee: :dance: :yipee:

davem
10-10-2003, 08:25 AM
That's right, nobody has mentioned the money factor! I worked at a gas station at the point in history when the price of cigs went over a dollar a pack. I remember how people freaked out about that. :)

cx
10-10-2003, 08:51 AM
Way to go, Bob. :)

Doesn't it just piss you off that your lungs are saying, "we'll have our drugs now and there won't be no trouble", as though they are in charge instead of you? I think that's what actually set my decision in stone way back when.

I forgot to mention the dinero, too, Dave. I think we figgered ol' flatfloor was gonna be able to buy hisownself a BMW after only a year or two. :D

I think Bob should pewt cigarette money inna jar every day just like if he were buying drugs. Might make the quittin' that much easier to watch them greenbacks pile up in there. Need to guard against Mrs. Bob and any young Bobs inna house, though, them large sums gonna be a substantial temptation. :p

longduk
10-10-2003, 09:22 AM
Yeah Mrs. Bob is the problem there:D

I figured it up and I cipher that I go through about $1300/anum in coffin nails. :eek: Mind you that I (used to :) ) buy really cheap smokes. About 1.80 a pack. You can easliy double that figure for name brands.:eek:

This is kinda weird. I know it's just been a little over 12hrs, but so far it ain't really been that bad. Only thing that really got me was gettin around another smoker. Gonna have to watch that for awhile.:crazy:

cx
10-10-2003, 09:31 AM
Hang in there!

Does Mrs. Bob smoke?

longduk
10-10-2003, 10:05 AM
No CX. She used to. Quit about 10 years ago. Ain't she wonderful!:yipee:

cx
10-10-2003, 10:11 AM
Yep, she is. That should make her of great help in your endeavor, too. You'll win this one for sure. :)

jvcstone
10-10-2003, 10:21 AM
Haven't used any tobacco products since May. I've quit before, but like any addiction, one little slip will take you right back to what used to be. The mental part is the hardest thing after about a week or so, but I just make me a comittment every morning. TODAY, no matter what, I'm not going to smoke, dip or chew. Now it's time to work on those extra 20 lbs or so. Gonna get healthy just in time for the retirement home. Actually, I too would like to dance with the grandkids--First one born aug. 1 2oo3.
Good luck to ya. I've kicked a few other addictions, and tobacco is by far the hardest.
John VanCamp / JVC Stoneworks

John Bridge
10-10-2003, 05:34 PM
Way to go, Bob. Get a day under your belt and it gives you something to protect. Two days and you're through the worst of the physical thing, I think. On day three you can handle anything.

I agree with John that the mental thing stays with you a while. I reached for my shirt pocket for well over a year after I quit, but it would just make me laugh when I realized what I was doing. I made it a joke, and it was not bad that way.

I did not avoid smokers, though. In fact, I encouraged my helper Albert to go ahead and smoke in front of me. 'Course I'm really a macho guy, as everyone who's met me knows. ;)

And John, I've got you beat on excess poundage. I think that may have had something to do with doubling up on the beer intake, though. :D

longduk
10-10-2003, 06:01 PM
Thanks Guys! I'm starting to get excited about this. This is the longest I've gone in over ten years. No smoking, no patches, no gum, no drugs (well ok a few frosties). So far it really ain't been that bad. I think I've got the right 'tude this time.

I'm countin the minutes till 9:00. That'll be 24 hours. I'm going to have just one cigarette to celebrate. :aparty:

Ha, got ya, thar aint no flippin' way. Thanks again for being there. I'm going to make it this time :yipee:

I've been quit for 21 hours and 30 seconds.
I've not smoked 35 death sticks, and saved $3.12.
I've saved 3 hour(s) of my life.

Davy
10-10-2003, 07:06 PM
Your doing great Bob. ;)

cx
10-10-2003, 07:31 PM
Good show, Bob.

That's almost a full day, and that's all a fella can realistically do.

Look up there what JVC done said. All you hafta do is quit for one day. Then all you gotta do is the same thing tomorrow.

It's a very old trick my own daddy learned many, many years ago when he joined AA. They told him nobody could say what he was gonna do forever, but everybody could do anything for one day. So he did. Ran that string up to thirty-odd years, he did. :)

But he died of his addiction to nicotine. He finally quit about three or four years before he died, but only because he couldn't breathe. Was in bed most of those years. Really sucked. Ain't worth it.

So, Bob, how 'bout you don't smoke tomorrow, either? :shades:

John Bridge
10-11-2003, 06:58 AM
Day 2. You're well on the way to success. :)

longduk
10-11-2003, 07:22 AM
Thanks Guy's.

Works for me CX;)

I'll worry about tomorrow tomorrow.:D

I've been quit for 1 day, 10 hours, 23 minutes and 11 seconds.
I've not smoked 57 death sticks, and saved $5.10.
I've saved 0 day(s), 5 hour(s) of my life.

cx
10-11-2003, 08:29 AM
Don't know where you're getting the stats on longevity savings, Bob, but that could be really useful. Fella in your position could sit in front of the boob-tube all afternoon watchin' f'ball or golf and if thy spouse says as how you're s'posta be cleanin' out the garage, you just tell her you're usin' some of your "dead" time so it don't count. :D

I like it! You could use it in small pieces like that or wait until you've saved up a couple days and take a whole weekend off to go fishin' and say it didn't count against your vacation time. This is good. This is very good. And you'd be spendin' money that you've saved, too, so that don't count, neither. :p

Hang in there. Time you get up tomorrow morning you'll be well into day three already. :)

davem
10-11-2003, 09:32 AM
I'm going to put some thought into maybe having an automagic update to your signature Bob. How about that? Little extra pressure to stay quit? ;)

jjwq8
10-11-2003, 10:08 AM
Bob, as usual I got here late.

My personnal experience.

At 22 I was doing 6 packs a day. Drinking endless coffee eating an apple a day (not to keep the doctor away) cos that is all the appetite I had, maybe a sandwich every other day. Forget the Atkins diet, I was stick thin.

Met the devine M and fell hopelessly in love. Received an ultimatum "Me or the Cigarettes".

I quit overnight. Went round the house and stomped on every packet I could find. Locked away all the ashtrays after washing them and gave M my numerous lighters. That was 25 years ago. It took about five years for my lungs to clear. Put on weight, (actually got porcine) but feel so much better.

Danger times, every time you have yourself convinced you got it licked. You don't. Mid 90's went to Cairo and within days was back to 30 a day, cos everyone bar none smokes in Egypt and I got sick of being poisoned by second hand smoke. Returned to Kuwait, continued to smoke for a few days till I realized what an idiot I was and instantly quit again.

Now M smokes water pipes but does not inhale. Refuses to let me near them cos she knows I will.

Me? I now enjoy an occaisional Cuesta Rey cigar (Puerto Rico) which I do not inhale.

Lost both parents to cancer (Father new years eve 1987, Mother July last year). I got seriously cancer phobic after Pop went.

Simple fact is quitting is something you have to want. You have to want it everyday of the rest of your life.

Forget about how long it will or will not add to your life. Look upon it as your contribution to improving the lives of those around you. That is the real benefit, and yes you will be around longer to enjoy it.

davem
10-11-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by jjwq8
Look upon it as your contribution to improving the lives of those around you. That is the real benefit, and yes you will be around longer to enjoy it.

Hear Hear. My kids only know my Dad from pictures, and when I think about that it makes me very sad. I'm hoping everybody has had enough of me when I go. :P

longduk
10-11-2003, 11:27 AM
Thanks again for all the support guys. It's a little harder today but I'm gonna make it.

CX, I absolutely love the way you think. Using my "dead" time for I wan't to do. Not a big sports fan but fishin and black jack don't sound bad.

The stat's are from some little "quit counter" off the net. You enter your quit date, num_smokes/day, cost/pack, etc. and it calculates the stats. Does other cute stuff like congradulate you each hour. Helps a little.

I've been quit for 1 day, 14 hours, 28 minutes and 33 seconds.
I've not smoked 64 death sticks, and saved $5.71.
I've saved 0 day(s), 5 hour(s) of my life.

longduk
10-11-2003, 11:55 AM
Hey CX,

You really got me on that "dead" time thing.:rofl: Love the concept.

Thought I might return the favor. You say you quit 34 years ago. So based on a pack a day at a buck a pack (you can adjust accordingly) HERE'S THE STAT'S FOR CX.

I've been quit for 34 years, 1 day, 14 hours, 56 minutes and 43 seconds (12420 days).
I've not smoked 248392 death sticks, and saved $21,600.57.
I've saved 862 day(s), 11 hour(s) of my life.

Enjoy your 862 days.:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

John Bridge
10-11-2003, 05:34 PM
Hell, CX, 862 days. That's over three months. :D

That was a very nice little speech, Jeremy. One of the best things you've said around here. Maybe the only worthwhile thing you've . . . . :D

Just kidding.

Bob,

Hang in there. That's an order. ;)

cx
10-11-2003, 05:56 PM
Quothe DaveM:
I'm hoping everybody has had enough of me when I go.
Um, Dave? I ain't quite ready to go just yet, thanks. :shades:

Good math there, JB, I knew there was hope for ya. I ain't gonna hafta beg for no steenkin' unpaid vacation days for a loooooong time, eh? :D

jjwq8
10-11-2003, 06:00 PM
i would have said more but the smokers cough got me :D again:D

flatfloor
10-11-2003, 06:05 PM
That was probably an airborne mixture of sand and dry, powdered camel shit that got you. :D

jjwq8
10-11-2003, 06:12 PM
:rofl: yeah but it is very low in nicotine:D

jjwq8
10-12-2003, 05:36 AM
And just to sjow you are not alone in your desire to quit........
Rush Limbaugh, right wing conservative talk show host who has repeatedly taken a hard line against drug addicts, has enrolled in a substance program for the third time, after being caught trying to illegally obtain the narcotic Oxycontin.

longduk
10-12-2003, 06:31 AM
I've been quit for 2 days, 9 hours, 26 minutes and 48 seconds.
I've not smoked 96 death sticks, and saved $8.52.
I've saved 0 day(s), 8 hour(s) of my life.

:yipee: :dance: :yipee: :dance: :yipee: :dance: :yipee: :dance: :yipee: :dance: :yipee: :dance::yipee:

Oh, BTW, I'm going to work on the bath today. Time to grout.

longduk
10-12-2003, 09:04 AM
I know this is none of my bidness. I came here asking for advice and after only two days of not smokin' I know I'm not qualified to give it. Wait a minute, 2 days not smokin' but over 25 years of smokin' maybe I am.

You know that nico-demon don't give a sh*t rather you inhale or not. Lost two grandparents to cancer. One pipe smoker, one cigar neither swallered.

Oral cancer ain't no fun either friend. I can tell how much you love M. Maybe we need to get her off that piece pipe and you the stogies.

Again man, just my 2 cents. You cared enuf 'bout me soooo.

tileguytodd
10-12-2003, 09:47 AM
Hey Kelly, I think you used up all that extra time out chasin Owls :D

jjwq8
10-13-2003, 12:53 AM
I hear what you are saying and am aware of the risks etc. Stogies are very rare. Sides you seen the price o those suckers? $15 a-piece.:eek:

M on the other hand.......well I ain't going there.........she nagged my ass of bout the ciggies, I nag her ass off bout the nargillah (hubbly bubbly, bong, call it what you will). We have about a dozen of the damn things in the house, mostly Baccarat crystal but I think she snook a couple of fighting models in there too.

She suffers from the Incredible Hulk Syndrome.

"Don't make me angry......you really wouldn't like me when I'm angry".

Trust me. Been there, Done that. Weeks in intensive care and months in the dog house to prove it :D

Now bout this owl thing Kelly.

A good pal of mine, one Joe Gwinn from and current in Minnesotta reckons you know you're in the boonies when the hoot owls goose the chickens for a little action.

longduk
10-13-2003, 07:27 AM
Free and Healing for Three Days, 10 Hours and 21 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 11 Hours, by avoiding the use of 137 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $12.22.

:yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee: :yipee:

sdaniels7114
10-13-2003, 07:34 AM
Hey, congrats on your success so far! I wish you well; but, would you mind tellin' me where you can get nearly seven packs of smokes for $12.22? Seein' as how you won't be needing that source anyway:D

longduk
10-13-2003, 07:51 AM
Steve,

I used to ;) smoke Ligget Light's. Could get them at the Gas station for $1.78. Cheaper at a place called Dirt Cheap Cigarettes and Beer. I'll still be goin there but not for cigarettes:p

cx
10-13-2003, 09:17 AM
Bob is a quit-er, na-na, na, na-naaa, naa. :D

Chasin' owls is pro-fessional activity and don't count against no steenkin' unpaid vacation time, Todd. :mad:

You don't believe me, you just come on out and hoot with us some time. I guarantee you won't need your gym membership for the duration. :)

longduk
10-13-2003, 05:09 PM
Proud of it too CX:D

Hey Get This,

My wife is so proud of me for quiting, while I was at work today she took my truck up to the shop. Had new Dunlops installed, brake job, front end alignment and oil change :eek:

Guess I better stay quit huh :D Hell maybe I'll even give up the beer. :eek: :eek: :eek: Na, that must have been nico withdrawal talkin':D

I've been quit for 3 days, 20 hours, 10 minutes and 33 seconds (4 days).
I've not smoked 154 death sticks, and saved $13.67.
I've saved 0 day(s), 13 hour(s) of my life.

jjwq8
10-14-2003, 12:30 AM
Bob,

Need your phone number, your wife needs to have a talk to the devine M. :D

Muny
10-15-2003, 10:00 AM
I managed to quit after numerous tries almost 2 years ago. I did a combination of the patch and the wellbutrin drug. I could only use the patch for about a week. I did the drug for 2 months. I couldn't tell you what the drug did because I never actually felt anything. Alls I can say is whenever i got the urge to smoke, and then put my mind on something else, sooner or later I would realize that urge was well over an hour ago. Every day I got under my belt smoke free gave me the incentive to go another day. I didn't want to spoil my record. To this day I still get an urge to fire it up for some reason.
My doctor told me its harder for women to quit because of the way our bodies bond with the nicotine.

Hang in there,and don't give up!

John Bridge
10-15-2003, 07:10 PM
Everybody knows women are better at bonding. It makes sense. ;)

You're doin' great, Bob. Tires and an oil change today, tomorrow the world!

:D

cx
10-15-2003, 08:06 PM
So how long's it been, Bob? Seems like weeks since your last report.

Almost time to mark you down as somebody what don't smoke 'stead of somebody who's quittin'. :D

Sonnie Layne
10-15-2003, 10:08 PM
Don't stop posting to us, Bob.

You're an inspiration to me to do the same. I'm behind you, keep it up.

longduk
10-16-2003, 07:37 AM
Gee, I thought maybe you all would be getting tired of this thread so I decided only to post on major milestones.

Anyway it will be one week today.:yipee:

Sonnie, if you're serious go spend some time on www.whyquit.com. Spacially in Joel's liberry. It sure has helped me.

Thanks again for caring guys. Means a lot to me.:nod:

Free and Healing for Six Days, 10 Hours and 29 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 21 Hours, by avoiding the use of 257 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $22.92.

Here's somethin interestin. Decided to throw my "quit meter" in reverse. This is what that nicodemon cost me.

Sick and Enslaved for Twenty Five Years, Six Days, 15 Hours and 6 Minutes, while shortening my life expectancy 1269 Days and 2 Hours, by the use of 365505 nicotine delivery devices thay have cost me $48,476.23. :eek:

Whadya think Sonnie :shades:

Sonnie Layne
10-16-2003, 08:58 AM
Good on you, Bob. Heck, at $25 a week, your wife should be bringin' home all kinda cool tools, right?

John Bridge
10-19-2003, 10:19 AM
Time to check in, Bob. ;)

cx
10-19-2003, 01:18 PM
Yeah, it ain't like we don't trust ya or nothin' like that, Bob, it's all the various wagers that are riding on your stats. :D

longduk
10-19-2003, 06:36 PM
As real as it gets friends; my buddy of over 20 years passed away this weekend due to, you guessed it, smoking. Walter (Bud) Jacobs, Vietnam Vet. suffered a heart attack after a two year bout with lung cancer. He is survived by his dear friend Anna and his three children. We salute you Bud.

Donations to American Cancer Society greatly appreciated.

I've been quit for 9 days, 21 hours, 38 minutes and 18 seconds (10 days).
I've not smoked 396 death sticks, and saved $35.26.
I've saved 1 day(s), 9 hour(s) of my life.

Anyone bettin' on me smokin' YOU LOSE.

Thanks friends!

John Bridge
10-20-2003, 05:33 PM
Sorry to hear about your buddy. "Charlie" didn't get him, but the cigs did. Sayonara, Bud. :)

longduk
10-21-2003, 07:22 AM
Thanks John.

Free and Healing for Eleven Days, 10 Hours and 20 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 14 Hours, by avoiding the use of 457 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $40.71.

:dance: :yipee: :wave: :dance: :yipee: :wave: :dance: :yipee: :wave: :dance: :yipee: :wave: :dance: :yipee: :wave:

Davy
10-21-2003, 07:46 PM
You're doing great Bob.;)

longduk
10-23-2003, 07:49 AM
Two weeks today

Free and Healing for Thirteen Days, 10 Hours and 51 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 20 Hours, by avoiding the use of 538 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $47.92.

Sonnie Layne
10-23-2003, 08:17 AM
yippeeyiokyyay!!!!!

John Bridge
10-23-2003, 06:40 PM
So when you gonna bite the bullet, Sonnie? :D

Bob,

Two weeks is a milestone. I don't know why. I just think it is. One week is a little puny, but two weeks, man, that's doin' somethin'. ;)

cx
10-23-2003, 07:00 PM
Yep, two weeks means somethin' for sure, Bob. It really is down hill from there on the physical stuff. You'll just keep feelin' better and better for a few months. Now it's just a matter of beatin' the psychological daemons. They're a tough bunch so don't discount them yet. But they're not invincible by any means.

Just don't smoke tomorrow. That's all it takes. :)

longduk
10-23-2003, 07:17 PM
Thanks Guys,

I feel fantastic. I can taste my food. The smells of fall are just awesome. This is just great. Just got off the phone with my pop that started this whole thing (you know the emphesema). Anyway he's feeling better. Went to my friend Bud's wake Wednesday night. Guy's the man was only 56! Scare's the BuJesus out of me:eek:

Come on Sonnie :bow: You can do it man, don't wanna preach, just wanna help you feel as good as I do.:dance:

I'll digress. Sonnie PLEASE :bow: spend some time on www.whyquit.com. Read Joel's Liberry :D and check out the link to Freedom.

You won't be sorry. You've got some really good Buds here (ignore that CX). We'll help ya :stick:

Sonnie Layne
10-24-2003, 09:18 AM
just checkin' in

thanks

I'm considerin'

maybe I should be considerin' someone 'sides my self.

Sonnie

would be kinda nice to taste what I cook.

John Bridge
10-24-2003, 05:03 PM
Yeah, you might even discover what that red Aussie wine tastes like. :D

flatfloor
10-24-2003, 06:56 PM
It tastes like old Millers that's been in a 'roo's pouch too long. :D

longduk
10-24-2003, 07:44 PM
Flatfloor's knocking Miller. I give up the smokes but I'm keepin' the Beast:D Milwaukee that is:yummy: Brewed by Miller Brewing Co. Milwaukee WI. For Consumer Questions Call 1-800-MILLER-6.:loaded:

Nicomonster was kinda beatin' on me tonight. Guess what i told em :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon:

I've been quit for 14 days, 22 hours, 46 minutes and 25 seconds (15 days).
I've not smoked 598 death sticks, and saved $53.25.
I've saved 2 day(s), 2 hour(s) of my life.

Thanks Friends :bow:

Sonnie Layne
10-24-2003, 08:26 PM
Awright, you sumbitches..... I'm a damned animal. ain't no smoke since about midmorn this day.

We gotta habit of having a martini or wine at the dining table in the eveneing. I can't even do that now. I'm an animal. This sucks. I'm not givin' in. Anything ever had this much control over me has been beat. Heroin was easier, tho', to be honest.

Tomorrow's another day. 3 minutes at a time an' I'll give you a dime. Someone said somethin' about breaking routines.... tole me the same thing when I had to quit fishin' coastal marshes for pregger flounder.

I'll make it this time.

Every time I kiss JJ, she thanks me. That's quite enough. Just had to discontinue being so selfish.

Help me out here, Bob......... I'll push you, if you'll pull me. :)

Oh, and I'm really on the rag right now, so just dont' try any freakin' trite phrases.... let this pass. If I recognized a god, I'd be praying. Instead, I'm in the kitchen, tryin to figure why Pepsi works so well for imbedding flavour in a hunk a hunk burnin' love aka a huge strip, I'm talkin half the damned whole!!!! Quiting is intoxicating in itself, or am I really in trouble???? :D

please, somebody, quick.... 3 minutes is so f long.

Davy
10-24-2003, 08:53 PM
Good decision Sonnie, I'm pulling for ya buddy.:)

cx
10-24-2003, 09:15 PM
Amongst the best decisions of your life, Sonnie. Fact.

Trite it might be, but:

Just don't smoke today. That's all it takes. :)

I believe you have my numbers? 24/7. :shades:

Sonnie Layne
10-24-2003, 09:54 PM
Only numbers I got is 5 minutes..... don't smoke for five minutes.

Been half day now, ready to go to sleep, well, my body is.

5 minutes. Ain't never been no five minutes to beat me. I stood in the ring of a Golden Gloves concerto for three rounds without finding my ass on the ground. This is BS. I should love the important people in my life more than this.

cx
10-24-2003, 10:12 PM
Sonnie, the day I really quit was the day my lungs tole me they were in charge and would have their drugs NOW! Scared me is what it did. I really wasn't in charge, and it was MY damn body! End of story.

Oh, by the way, in case you wake up before me, my advice will be the same tomorrow as it was a while ago:

Don't smoke today. That's all. No big deal. No long-term commitment. Just don't smoke today.

On Sunday, we'll work on Sunday. :)

Sonnie Layne
10-24-2003, 10:15 PM
app. 12 hours.

wine's good, shame I always fixed it to a cigarette or cigar. When can I start drinking wine again without wanting a cig???? Hot damn, you tellin' me I have to give up wine appreciation as well???

I know..... I'm just making excuses, but at least the time it's taken to type this message has allowed the desire to pass away.

cx
10-24-2003, 11:16 PM
Wine ain't got nothin' to do with smokin', Poet, don't be hookin'em together. You wanna glass of wine, drink a glass of wine - just don't smoke no filthy ciggy. Gotta git your head inna right place, here. :)

Actually, in a couple weeks you might find that some of that stuff you drink tastes really good. :D

Sonnie Layne
10-25-2003, 06:34 AM
this sucks

jjwq8
10-25-2003, 06:45 AM
No Sonnie,

The correct quote is: "There is no such thing as gravity. The Earth sucks!"

Further, this does not suck and neither do you, not figuratively for taking the correct decision, nor literally coz you no longer contribute to big tobacco profits by having a smoking pacifier to suck on.

Do not isolate yourself from those who choose to continue smoking. You need the self satisfaction of being there and not giving in. Trust me. That satisfaction very rapidly overtakes the nicotine withdrawal cravings.

;)

cx
10-25-2003, 08:29 AM
Ain't nobody said it would be easy, my son. Well, nobody with the truth on his side, anyway.

But how's about you don't smoke today? A fella can do that, eh?

Then we'll turn it into a string like our friend Longduk is doing. Then pretty soon you'll be one of them people who useta smoke. :)

But it ain't gonna be easy. You might wanna look into some of thoses patches if you're having a lot of trouble gettin' past the first few weeks. It ain't cheatin'. Whatever it takes to quit is a good thing.

longduk
10-25-2003, 10:12 AM
ALLRIGHT SONNIE:yipee: :yipee: :yipee:

You're damn straight I'll be pullin' for ya man. Like CX says one day at a time. Hell the first couple of days, one minute at a time if that's what it takes.

Gonna, hafta disagree with CX on the patches. Just gonna prolong the agony. Nicotine is nicotine in any form and you and I are addicted to it. Just doesn't make sense to keep puttin' it in when the idea is to get it out. You ain't addicted to cigarettes you're addicted to nicotine. However if patches is what it takes go for it. What ever works.

Now for the good news, I PROMISE you Sonnie, it DOES get better, It DOES get easier. Just hang in there and remember no nicotine today.

If you haven't already I urge you to check out www.whyquit.com.

I've been quit for 15 days, 13 hours, 14 minutes and 59 seconds (16 days).
I've not smoked 622 death sticks, and saved $55.40.
I've saved 2 day(s), 4 hour(s) of my life.

John Bridge
10-25-2003, 04:00 PM
I do recommend the patches, but only the one package of them. Use them for a week if it'll make you feel better (and it will). But then quit the patches. They try to hook you on them by causing you to buy enough to last a couple months. B.S.

Don't worry about the association between wine and cigs. Just double up on the wine, and the cig will be forgotten. ;) Tripple up on the wine. :D

I truly believe that a person who can go without smoking for a day has quit smoking. From that point on you can't smoke without having wasted the preceeding day, and so on.

flatfloor
10-25-2003, 05:59 PM
Everbodies different. My Kathleen quit cold, I used the patch. She counts the days over 5.75 years now. Me? I don't count.

longduk
10-25-2003, 06:10 PM
Hey Sonnie,

How's 'bout checkin' in? How you doin? John's right ya get a day or two into it and ya gotta hold on. Don't wanna go thru that for nutin.

I'm pretty hard-headed about the cold-turkey crap, but you do what works for you. I'll tell ya what, I won't smoke today if you don't:stick:

Sonnie, I know it blows, but we're a bunch of hard a$$'s and we can take it. Sorry 'bout the $$ John. Just want to get it on Sonnie's terms. Come on buddy YOU CAN DO!

Hey Nicoman, smoke this :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon:

longduk
10-25-2003, 10:25 PM
We have'nt lost 'em already. Come in Sonnie! I feel like I got you started on this escapade. Give us an update man. You can call me all the nasty names you want. JUST DON"T SMOKE!

cx
10-25-2003, 10:58 PM
Yeah, Poet, all quitters muster here to report progress. :mad:

And NO SMOKING! :D

longduk
10-26-2003, 06:41 AM
Hey Sonnie,

Can't build up no "dead" time if ya quit quitin' :D

I've been quit for 16 days, 9 hours, 36 minutes and 25 seconds (16 days).
I've not smoked 656 death sticks, and saved $58.42.
I've saved 2 day(s), 7 hour(s) of my life.

Sonnie Layne
10-26-2003, 10:17 AM
Nothin' since Friday morning. A.M. is toughest for me. Really hard to get along with.

3 minutes at a time.

jvcstone
10-26-2003, 11:07 AM
Yeah, we can be a bit of the grouch at first. I've been told that nicotine is physically addictive in that it actually becomes a part of the cellular makeup, and when we withhold it, each and every one of those billions of cells in our body is screaming out for a fix. Hard to consider anyone elses feelings when we are being so overwhelmed by our own. Don't dispair --- it will pass, and that old lovable self will soon reappear.
I'm really greatfull for this thread. It really helps re-enforce my desire to stay nicotine free this time. (nothing since May) Hopefully, it will help keep me from doing anything stupid. A few years back I got a year nicotine free, but decided I was cured, and could enjoy a nice cigar. WRONG!!! Within 2 weeks, it was 4 cigars or more each day, and then a can of dip every couple of days. Right back to square one, and several years more time in the addiction's grip.:bang: :bang: :bang: Past experience could have predicted that result, but I didn't let experience teach me a thing at that point in time.
Good luck to both Sonnie and Bob, and remember, you only have to do it for today, not forever.

cx
10-26-2003, 11:16 AM
Good on you, John. Good advice, too. :)

Sonnie: If you're having the most trouble in the morning, stay in bed. Get up after lunch. :D

Whatever it takes. :shades:

OK, all youse quitters, no smokin' today. Tomorrow we'll work on Monday.

Hey, John! No dippin', neither. :p

jvcstone
10-26-2003, 11:19 AM
Not today anyway!!;)

flatfloor
10-26-2003, 11:52 AM
If Sonnie smoked doesn't mean he's a quitter. It means he's human. Most people fail two or three times. But that doesn't make them quitters. Quitters are people who don't smoke. ;)

jjwq8
10-26-2003, 02:47 PM
Cardiovascular responses through spinal nicotinic receptors
Subject: Nicotine Dependence Investigator(s) Taylor , Palmer
Institution: University of California, San Diego

Grant # 10RT-0107 Award Amount $448,941
Project Start 07/01/2001 Project End 06/30/2004

Initial Award Abstract

Tobacco use increases risk of both cardiovascular and neoplastic disease, but statistical studies show that former carries the far larger risk to the population. While cardiovascular risks can be attributed to tobacco smoke enhancing blood coagulation and clot formation, nicotine, the substance responsible for addiction to tobacco products, also has profound cardiovascular actions that appear to contribute to hypertension and, in so doing, enhance other cardiovascular risk factors. Our proposed research has a two-fold objective: (a) to examine nicotine's action in the central nervous system in influencing cardiovascular parameters such as blood pressure and heart rate and characterizing the receptors through which it acts, and (b) using the spinal cord as a model system to understand the mechanism of nicotine action in the central nervous system. To meet these objectives, we have developed a systematic approach extending from studies in the whole animal to molecular level investigations. Animal studies involve direct intrathecal (spinal) administration of nicotine, its congeners and nicotine antagonists into the conscious rat following prior placement of an intrathecal catheter. Our previous studies have documented an unusual sensitivity to nicotine in the spontaneously hypertensive rat strain enabling us to use the power of genetics and recombinant inbred strains to study nicotine sensitivity in the coming project period. Studies at the cellular level have revealed that the nicotinic receptor has a predominantly presynaptic location on nerve endings in the spinal cord, and nicotine stimulation releases other transmitters that exert a pharmacological action. Our cellular studies will be directed to examining the release mechanisms of peptides and other transmitters and assigning the subtypes of nicotinic receptors responsible for eliciting the release. These transmitters are responsible for transducing signals through the spinal cord and giving rise to the nociceptive and autonomic responses to nicotine. Studies at the molecular level will be devoted to identifying the subtypes of nicotinic receptors in the spinal cord and their localization in the dorsal, intermediary lateral and ventral horns of the spinal cord. A series of specific and high affinity antibodies directed to the individual receptor subunits have been generated in the last project period and will be employed for the receptor identification and localization studies. Specificity will be examined by the use of agents selective for receptor subtypes. Although the overall approach requires a long term commitment, we anticipate that the findings will lead to a more complete understanding of nicotine's action in eliciting cardiovascular responses, both acute and chronic, an understanding the molecular basis of nicotine's action in the central nervous system and the receptor targets through which nicotine acts.

jjwq8
10-26-2003, 02:48 PM
Now. Do you really still want to do it?

flatfloor
10-26-2003, 03:58 PM
Gobbledegook is soooo inspirational. ;)

longduk
10-26-2003, 05:35 PM
Sonnie's hangin. I knew he was a bad mf. Go Sonnie you tha man. The morn's are pretty bad for some reason. Tell ya' what I do. I got a stupid toothpick on my nightstand. Right where the smokes used to be. I pick it up in the morn and chew the !!! out of it all day. Really seems to help.

Sonnie, I really wanted one today! Almost lost it after 17 day's. It is hard but it is worth it. Hang in there man. No nicotine today!

Hey did you ever check out www.whyquit.com or freedom? Can't hurt pal.

John Bridge
10-26-2003, 06:40 PM
I think after two or three days it was not physical with me but more psychological. Oh, the physical desire was still in the background but only there and not screaming in my face every five minutes. No, it was the idea of not having anything in my shirt pocket every time my hand reached up there involuntarily. I finally made of joke of it. Each time the hand moved in that direction I'd slap myself on the chest and say (silently), "you don't smoke, you dumb sumbitch." :D

cx
10-26-2003, 06:43 PM
I don't usually correct my elders, but that would be, "you don't smoke, you formerly dumb sombitch". :)

Sonnie Layne
10-26-2003, 07:14 PM
I used to smoke.

Changed my mind.

Ain't got so much a problem with associative behaviour, I've had other addictions in my life. None so deeply controlling as this, however.

A great tool discovered this morning.... I was practically a screaming lunatic, and I thought maybe a few deep breaths weren't working as quicly as they needed be. A small tap of Valium helped to handle the physiology, so that my psychology could help. I quit screaming at my help. Still, I had to take a few deep breaths but the benzodiazapine helped just for that one ferocious moment when I could feel violence and anger.

Figure next time, I'll add Zanax and Gin. I've recovered from other addictions before, but they were more succinct and private in their nature. They didn't make me stinck, but made me less aware of the diference of bayontine and deep roquerfort.

Anyway, the new addition to the therapy is not in it's way a bad thing, as I've already learned their tricks.

This is not a cake walk down the planck, but you still have the opportunity to turn and face your captain, straight on, and say "you wanna come show me this place you claim to know so well? " Greet him to join you, he'll let you go, but never forget.

jjwq8
10-26-2003, 10:08 PM
John,
Your personal therapy regime seems effective, but may I suggest you subcontract it to Albert? It's the intervention theory. Tough love etc., and it will benefit you both ;).

Sonnie,
Keep with it. Whatever it takes, but rationalization can be a sneaky bastard too. You can get addicted to it.

Jim,
I actually understood it. Comsumption of alcohol in the first instance helps of course. :shades:

Sonnie Layne
10-27-2003, 04:42 AM
Insomnia, haven't been able to sleep. More gin???

jjwq8
10-27-2003, 05:22 AM
Sonnie :bang:
Playing cards will of course keep you awake:D

Sonnie Layne
10-27-2003, 05:37 AM
Business cards?

Tarot cards?

Ala friggin' Carte?

Carte la vin/fromage?

Damned soapbox carts?

don't matter....

but I've got three minutes. Don't mess with me. I've been up all night. no sleep, no alcohol, no valium.

Don't mess with me, I've gotta finish/polish out a big deal today and it's gonna take all I've got to not piss someone off.

Sonnie Layne
10-27-2003, 06:00 AM
I'll never be a prognascticate of anti anything, but a couple of you know me to be of an analyctical mind. The following excerpt from whyquit.com kinda touched me.

It's now morning, after a completely sleepless night, but wanted to share this new-found stuff. I love folks that make me want to learn more.

quote:

While most people equate smoking deaths to cancer and lung disease, in fact many more people will die from circulatory conditions from smoking than die from cancer or other lung diseases. Also, in general, they will die at much younger ages from these problems. We would have many more lung cancers than we do if smokers could live long enough to get them. When many people with fatal heart attacks or strokes are autopsied, there are often precancerous lesions found that indicate that if these people had a few more years to live they would have eventually succumbed to these smoking induced diseases.

As for heart and other circulatory diseases, the two chemicals in cigarettes that stand out as the biggest problems are nicotine and carbon monoxide. Nicotine, besides being addictive, has very powerful effects on arteries throughout the body. Nicotine is a stimulant, speeding up the heart by about 20 beats per minute with every cigarette, it raises blood pressure, is a vasoconstrictor - which means it makes arteries all over the body become smaller making it harder for the heart to pump through the constricted arteries - and it causes the body to release its stores of fat and cholesterol into the blood.

The heart has to work harder to overcome all of these effects. To work harder the heart, like every other muscle in the body, needs extra amounts of oxygen for the additional workload. The oxygen has to be transported through the blood. But carbon monoxide from tobacco smoke literally poisons the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood. So this results in the heart having to work harder to get more blood to itself to work harder, because it's working harder. This is a circle. A vicious and deadly circle when it comes down to it.

end quote.

I know enough about plumbing and demands on pressure/viscosity/delivery from the commercial greenhouse business to understand what's taking place here. Really made a dif to me for someone to put it all in that rationale.

Sonnie Layne
10-27-2003, 06:05 AM
more support at home would help, she just gets cross ways when I get irritable over incessant little friggin' unimportant issues.

have to keep reminding her that she promised to help. it's not until the arguements are over that she remembers that.

it's not about her, I know, i'm just such a friggin' romantic that I thought it would go down differently here in the second quarter.

I'm not at the three minute mark, that'll come when the sun's up and I'm on my way to work. I'm just so disappointed that I ever let anything/anyone take this much control of me.

Not today. Not for the next 3 minutes.

thanks for giving me your time,

John Bridge
10-27-2003, 06:37 AM
Albert carries his smokes rolled up in his tee shirt sleeve. They sit atop his left shoulder. He sort of wears them like a badge. The badge never flattens or changes shape. He smokes Marlborows in a box. ;)

flatfloor
10-27-2003, 06:15 PM
No more gin. Maybe you are a candidate for the patch and welbutrin, the actual name escapes me at the moment. Valium not a good idea either.

Zyban! That's it, knew it would come to me.

cx
10-27-2003, 07:05 PM
Yeah, Poet, be careful of that "Vitamin V." We want you should divest yourself of a habit, not just change drugs, eh? I understand that stuff can sneak up on a fella pretty easily.

OK, all quitters muster up and report progress. :)

Sonnie Layne
10-27-2003, 08:23 PM
that took a lot of typin' for the hypin.

I'll keep it to m'self.

Sonnie

longduk
10-28-2003, 07:17 AM
Bob - Free and Healing for Eighteen Days, 10 Hours and 19 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 2 Days and 13 Hours, by avoiding the use of 737 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $65.66.

How you doin' Sonnie?

Sonnie Layne
10-28-2003, 03:33 PM
Doin' a little better. Today was a real trial as I've been home all day and not staying busy.

Valium is a good choice.

Wellbutrin is another name for Zyban, I've been taking that stuff for about 3 years for other reasons. I does take the edge off, I think.

Of all the things I've been addicted to and broke in my life, I'm hardly afraid of an occasional valium ;) It also goes well on occasion with my propranolol for my tremors.

Anyway, gettin' better all the time. That's a great link, Bob.

longduk
10-28-2003, 04:56 PM
Cool Sonnie:cool: Hang in there man. Have you joined Freedom yet? It's pretty good too. Between that and you guy's I've got it licked.

Sonnie Layne
10-28-2003, 09:52 PM
Naw, haven't joined anything, but if you rec it, I'll have a look.

Just had to get on here right now 'cause I picked up my guitar for writing and I really got a strong urge. I can't light up, of course because I don't have anything to light up, and it's way too inconvenient to walk across the street.
Funny what you associate smoking with. I used to perform pro-like all along the south. Funny thing is, I'd light a cig, stick it in the head of the guitar or along the chest piece of the harmonica holder. Then I'd play a song and the cigarette had long burned out by the time I finished.... so what's the point. You ain't smokin' at that point, you just actin' like you smokin'. Wish my music had been smokin'... oh wait... maybe it was. I weren't outa work.

OK, this session's passed, but I'm not through with my guitar.

peace,
best luck to all.

Davy
10-28-2003, 10:09 PM
You're doing great Sonnie.;)

Sonnie Layne
10-28-2003, 10:15 PM
THX, Davy.

I've done a lot of stupid things in my life. If my life were defined by the most ignorant thing I'd ever done, I'd see a picture of an ashtray beside my name in the who's who.

As I implied, I've not met another substance/circumstance as hard to break as this one.

Hope your home repair is going well. My offer still stands. My daughter and her whatever have yet to buy a hammer. Gonna be a cold winter, methinks.

thanks again, Davy.... one of my clients is opening a Dickey's in Addison some day soon... I'd like to meet you at their grand opening. Last I heard it was to be end of Oct or first of Nov.. Hey, man..... free barbeque, whatcha' say?

cx
10-28-2003, 10:17 PM
Hang in there, Sonnie, today's almost over.

Don't smoke tomorrow, OK? :)

Pretty soon you'll have you a long string of days run together like ol' Bob. You remember Bob? Longduk? He usta smoke, too, but he don't no more. :D

jjwq8
10-28-2003, 10:29 PM
Sonnie,

Your daughter needs a hammer?

Get the set (hammer and scredriver) especially designed for blondes, but do not try to open it for her.

I bet the shrimp taste better these days too. Fact I'll bet you're noticing a lot of nuances of taste nicotine had been denying you. Hang in there :D

Sonnie Layne
10-28-2003, 10:29 PM
Yeah, I used to smoke, too.

Why the hell would anybody introduce the byproduct of chemical conversion into their system? Am I really so stupid as to believe that somehow dying younger would make me more desirable to people whom I really cared about?

Or is it that I was so insecure with my own personality at the time that I had to do something so freakin' stupid to make an impression that I really wasn't as dull as I thought I was?

Why the hell would I think that? I held track/football records. I was doing lighting work for very nationally recognized bands on weekends. I had a girlfriend who didn't talk to anyone.

Yet, somehow.... I had to start smoking to rebel against everything that everyone that meant anything to me thought of me. Well, some 35 years later, I've finally graduated from hicksville varsity and all-state choral and realized I don't have to measure up to anyone because I ain't my own most influential person, so it don't matter.

just change your mind, right?

Sonnie Layne
10-28-2003, 11:42 PM
Jeremy, that is truly funny.

I'm tempted to set up an anonymous email addy just to send it to her!!!! :)

Haven't noticed so much a dif in taste as I have in smell. Guy that works for me smokes heavily and yesterday, I thought "Damned is that the way I smelled?"

I asked JJ, and she said yes. I was truly embarrassed.

Shrimp will be hitting my table this weekend, however. :D

Thanks so much, Jeremy
Sonnie

jjwq8
10-28-2003, 11:49 PM
OK :D
Now there is one last chore that you need to reserve for no-one other than yourself.

Go into each of your cupboards/Wardrobes/Dressers and take a deep breath.

Everything smells of tobacco.

Tell JJ that you will do the laundry and revel in the fact that you are quite literally washing away the last vestiges of the evil weed.

Sonnie Layne
10-28-2003, 11:59 PM
I already do the laundry ;)

and the shopping
and the cooking
and the cleaning (except glass polishing, that's her hobby, I think)

but, you're right.
and right again.

can't imagine I walked around like that for so many years smelling like that and still collected such an interesting bunch of fantastic people around me. What good sports.

On the other hand, morning breath is umm uhhh well, it's morning breath isn't it? :D

jjwq8
10-29-2003, 12:03 AM
Damn you must be ahelluva popular house-guest. Take time off to come to Kuwait and get yerself a little pampering:D :nod:

Sonnie Layne
10-29-2003, 12:25 AM
I just do whatever I can so's she don't have to do nothin'. I enjoy it, really. Just can't take the offer of being house husband as yet. ;)

When I get tired, or injured, she fills in. And does a pretty darned good job of it. She's not the sentimental sort that I am, but still she's a kind soul and knows me well. that's about all I'd axe. and well more than I deserve.

longduk
10-29-2003, 06:32 AM
Sounds like you've learned a lot in the Liberry Sonnie. I do recommend Freedom. There "almost" as good as these guys for support.

You're doing great. Day 20 for me.

Sonnie Layne
10-29-2003, 09:20 AM
Mostly I do a lot of talking to myself. I send myself emails, but can't seem to get the time to respond to them :D

I'll look back on previous posts and find out about Freedom, thanks again. I think this is day 6 for me, I'd have to look that up, too. I'm gonna be laid up again today, kinda tough this morning. If I could just get to the store and pick up some fruit.... hmmm let's see who I can con er, I mean ask a favour..... ;)

longduk
10-29-2003, 09:46 AM
Sonnie,

you can get to freedom from www.whyquit.com. It's over in the far right column. So your gonna be laid today huh? Ooops, guess I read that wrong:D

Sonnie Layne
10-29-2003, 10:05 AM
I found it, haven't been inside, but I did download the quicky calendar thingy that gives statistics.

I have been quit for 5 Days, 1 minute and 26 seconds (5 days). I have saved $24.75 by not smoking 150 cigarettes. I have saved 12 hours and 30 minutes of my life.

Cool. Or as my daughter would say, Kewl ;)

Really weird, I was talking on the phone to her last night, we talked about this, that and the other, finally she said something like "Well, what else is news?" You know, I didn't even think to tell her I'd quit??? It's like it's not an issue. Mostly. Yesterday and today kinda comes and goes.

I still enjoy my evening wine or martinis with the beauty of my life, but we've had to change rooms. When I was a smoker, I limited my smoking to the kitchen/work area, so we'd spend a couple hours there every evening listening, speaking, dancing, drinking, cooking. Well, I've really drawn a strong association to that table, so we sit in the living room in the evenings now. Anyway, cool thing is that alcohol association is not a big issue to me. I haven't been to a pub, and likely won't 'cause that's just not something I did much of. In Dallas, you can't (not supposed to) smoke in any restaurant whose income is largely from serving food rather than drinks. So.... plenty of places (all of our favourites) are open for me to go see and be seen.

I think my smell is improving, which means my taste won't be far behind. Did you know that a great majority, something like 90% of your taste is actually your smell, a result of your olfactory nerve's reaction to chemicals? It's weird, your mouth really doesn't have much to do with it. My sister's olfactory was destroyed in an accident years ago, she literally can't taste anything. She feels reactions in her mouth, however, so she knows when somethings hot, or sweet, or bitter, sour. Weird, she can lay down a Thanksgiving dinner with that little knowledge. It's also enlightened my exploration into cooking and seasoning. I try to use those physical reactions to enhance or sometimes hide certain flavours or mixtures. Kinda like Kitchemisty 101 self taught!!! ;)

I'll not bore you more.

Had to burn up a few minutes talking about anything.

Thanks again Bob, hang tight. Don't fall in.

longduk
10-29-2003, 11:04 AM
Take all the time you want Sonnie, I've got almost three days of "dead" time already:p . About the bars, your favorite table, other smokers, and other triggers you won't have to stay away from them forever. Just 'til you get used to the fact that you don't smoke anymore;)

If you do get over to Freedom you'll see me as W1LSON, they wouldn't let me use Longduk (go figger):D

Sonnie Layne
10-29-2003, 11:38 AM
Thanks,
I've got an email off to the staff right now 'cause I won't use MSN for anything and it seems you have to sign on to MSN to join. If I get in I'll look you up, for sure.

Other smokers don't bother me. My new helper, whom I've known for years, but never worked under or over him in the film biz... anyway, he's in the truck the other day, I tell him I hadn't smoked in two days. He's a HUGE chain smoker, politely enough asked me if it bothered me for him to smoke in the vehicle. I just said "No, this isn't about you. This is mine".

On the other hand, he came over for entry keys this AM. He's a HUGE coffee drinker. While I rarely drink coffee, I've always got some really cool beans and blends in the freezer and he knows it. So, I make his fav (after all, he's been carrying the whole weight for two days) which is a blend of New Guinea Estate and Kona. He sits down, looks for an ashtray. I just had to say, sorry, "I ain't there yet, my truck's fine, my home is sacrosanct". He enjoyed his two cups, mapped out the day's work, and drove off into the sunrise.

Will there come a time when tobacco smoke smells repulsive? I mean, I used to on occasion just get nearly ill when my former wife would light up. Don't know if it was her brand of smoke or what, but I'd have to leave the house. Have I been making people feel that way all the years I've been around them? I would, of course, never smoke in someone's home who didn't smoke themselves and only then upon invitation, but I wonder how it's likely to turn out for me now?

Thanks again, we should meet. I vote John's house, next vernal equinox.

longduk
10-29-2003, 11:58 AM
Yeah you're gonna hafta get a MSN .net to join Freedom. I understand what you mean about Billysoft, but us ex-smokers gotta do whatever it takes.

I don't know if we'll ever get to the point were we can't stand the smell. I'm not that much further than you and it doesn't bother me yet.

I know some folks over at Freedom say their repulsed by it, and then others say after years it still smells good to them. That's no accident. The cig companies add perfumes to make them smell good.

I knew I fell in with the right group of guys. I thought I was the only one to celebrate the equinox. Darn wish I'd of known, just missed the autumnal. Oh well, soltice just around the corner.:p

HEY YA GOTTA CHECK THIS OUT!

http://www.gea2000.org/multimedia/nosmoke.mpe

Davy
10-29-2003, 07:05 PM
Sonnie, it's hard to pass up bar-b-q, especially Dickeys. Get back with me on the address and date, I'll show up.;)

John Bridge
10-29-2003, 07:24 PM
Last time we had a solstice discussion Rob Z. gave out with a dissertation. I think I had the equinoxes mixed up with Halloween or some other Druid ceremony. Don't remember whether we celebrated or not. ;)

Whatever we celebrate, though, I think it should be done at the summit of Mt. Houston just before sunrise on a cloudless day when the humidity is less than 80 and it's exactly 76.3 degrees. We'll all have to wear purple, of course, and . . . . :D

I think there will come a time when stale smoke will become offensive. The smell of people smoking doesn't offend me. I don't mind it as long as they don't blow it in my face. And I do not agree that there should be laws against smoking in bars and taverns. Dammit, if you don't like it stay out. :)

longduk
10-29-2003, 09:36 PM
How 'bout Stonehenge, that's a cool Druid dive. BBQ could be a bit funky though.

Pie esu domine! :bang: Dona eis requiem! :bang:

cx
10-29-2003, 10:04 PM
Cigarette smoke is one of the most offensive smells I know of. I can tell you if someone is smoking in a car with an open window three cars in front at a light. Cigar smoker in a passing car going 50 mph. :D

But I agree with JB, shouldn't be any laws against making smoke in private establishments. Public buildings are another story. Unless they are also gonna allow moi to build the fire of my choice there, too. :shades:

But I like the smell of pipe tobacco smoke. Go figger. And, of course, burning leaves of most any other kind, including wacky-weed. But then, I don't wanna breathe that, either. :p

jjwq8
10-29-2003, 10:51 PM
And you claim to be an outdoor adventurer :suspect:

Sonnie Layne
10-30-2003, 09:08 AM
Davy,
I'll keep you posted. Just received an email from her (that would be his wife) this am, 'splainin' that things have been pushed back to December and she's worried what with Christmas and all, they may not be able to pull together a big grand opening. I'm thinkin' it's gonna be out around Preston and Bush Tollway. Nose-bleed country.

I have been quit for 5 Days, 23 hours, 3 minutes and 26 seconds (6 days). I have saved $29.50 by not smoking 178 cigarettes. I have saved 14 hours and 50 minutes of my life.

Actually, John, any establishment is exempt if their bar sales are greater than their food sales. All pool halls are exempt no matter what.

It's weird, asked my buddy about it (he's a restauranteur) and who gets the fine. Seems the consumer gets the fine, all he (the owner) is required to do is post a notice of the City Code at the entrance. After that, you can smoke all you want. DPD doesn't have the authority to enforce it, someone (and it's not likely to be the proprietor) would have to call a special task force number and wait for one of those guys to show up (between 9 and 5) to issue citations. A joke.

I even know a rather upscale restaurant/pub that's always been a big loose that puts a crystal ashtray on your table with an olive in it and a card that says "This is not an ash tray". Another joke, but that one's funny. Unique situation for that club. Always been a really cool spot to see and be seen. Directly across the stree is University Park, couple cool places there, but nothing like Sevy's. Unfortuanately, University Park has no such ban on smoking and Sevy's really tryin' his best. He's an institution and he'll survive, but my waiter told me things fell off some 25% the first few weeks. Could be worse, it's my understanding that in Arlington you can't even smoke on the patio.

I'm with you, I choose not to smoke, but it's everyone's right to do so if they wish.

John Bridge
10-30-2003, 02:17 PM
I'm not speaking specifically about Dallas. There are cities in the country where you can't smoke in a damned bar. Not that I go to bars much anymore, but a person should be able to smoke somelace if he want's to kill himself. ;)

Sonnie Layne
10-30-2003, 05:10 PM
think all that got started in San Fran......

flatfloor
10-30-2003, 06:13 PM
Can't smoke ANYplace in NY, including Yankee or Shea Stadiums.

longduk
10-30-2003, 06:58 PM
I was in Frisco two years ago. Sitting in a bar, lit up, didn't even think about it. Next thing I know there's a bouncer tappin' me on the shoulder:eek: I'm like what the heck did I do:confused:

Anyway, 3 weeks today!

Muny
10-30-2003, 09:20 PM
Excellent longduk! You too Sonnie!
My 2 year anniversary is coming up next month! I never thought I'd be able to do it but I did.

cx
10-30-2003, 09:46 PM
Good on you, Muny! :)

Hey, Bob, Sonnie, lookey here, ol' Muny's a big quitter too! :D

longduk
10-31-2003, 07:54 AM
Ain't it great? :yipee: Long as we don't quit quitin' will never have to worry about bein' quitters again :D

Ain't today a week for you Sonnie? You gonna be a Glory week Gradjiate?:p

Sonnie Layne
10-31-2003, 10:31 AM
That would be correct.... as of thirty minutes ago.

longduk
10-31-2003, 10:35 AM
Sonnie's made it through Hell Week! :devil:

flatfloor
10-31-2003, 06:19 PM
Congratulations both of you!!

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/party/party-smiley-020.gif

cx
10-31-2003, 06:44 PM
Way to go, Sonnie, you're gettin past the chemical part, which will help a lot. Hang in there. Hell, to celebrate, how about you just don't bother to smoke at all tomorrow? That'll show'em! :)

I got a good plan for tonight, too, if you git the cravings. How 'bout you go out trick-or-treatin' disguised as a wild eyed maniac? Won't even need no costume! Maybe JJ could go along as your handler. She wouldn't need no costume, neither. :D

Muny
10-31-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by cx
Good on you, Muny! :)

Hey, Bob, Sonnie, lookey here, ol' Muny's a big quitter too! :D

ol'? did you say ol'? ... did he just say ol'???:complain: :crap: :cry:

::bonk: (ok I'm gettin a bit carried away here with these smilies)

;) :D

longduk
10-31-2003, 09:28 PM
Muny,

You get carried away with em if you want. We appreciate your support.

:dance: :crazy: :dunce: :king: :loaded: :smash: :drool2: :aparty: :stick: :rofl: :shake: :bonk: :talk: :stupid2: :whip: :uhh:

Longduk ain't smoked in 22 days.
881 Burning weeds not sucked into my lungs.
Saved $78.46, How much Milwaukees Beast you think that'll buy?
I've saved 3 days of my life. That's my "dead" time, gonna spend it fishin' :D

How much Dead time you racked up Sonnie? I'll buy the bait if you get the beer.:p

cx
10-31-2003, 09:36 PM
Awwww, Muny, I din't mean ol' like in JB or Flatfloor kinda ol'. You just a young sprout, are ya?

Get you one of them calculators like Bob has and see how much extry time you done bought yourownself so far by bein' a quitter. Hell, you might can go fishin' for a month. :)

Three dead days of fishin' sounds like a real good reward for you, Bob, but I'm askeered if you take eighty bucks worth of beer you not only won't git to fish, you might not survive the trip. :eek:

Let's see what Sonnie has to report when he and JJ get back from trick-or-treatin'. Hope nobody din't pewt no ciggies in his bag. :p

longduk
10-31-2003, 09:45 PM
Shoot CX, I wasn't gonna drink it all. I was gonna take the dog with me:D

Sonnie ain't gettin' no cigs, he's a big quitter!

Sonnie Layne
10-31-2003, 10:17 PM
I came awful scarey close. Not a good day/evening. Really weird, my worst time was while preparing shrimp, halibut cheeks, roasting hen and a solitary lobster for torture. I'm so used to sitting and smoking whilst considering the recipe's/menus.

Had an hour's long dissertation already typed. I've gone through 2 or maybe 3 withdrawals, all short lived, but I'm not having fun.

Except that they're short lived. In a way, it's good that my mate doesn't give a shit at times. Then I get to take up the whole ball and run for second.

Not good, but I've promised....

Sonnie Layne
10-31-2003, 10:45 PM
I'm just gonna toss this out there....

maybe it wasn't the drug, but the delivery.

Still, I'm standing strong. She wants to support, just doesn't quite understand to what depth. Relates that to a weakness of mine, and she may not be wrong.

Sonnie Layne
10-31-2003, 10:47 PM
this is the wrong forum.

this is to be mud box stuff.

Sonnie Layne
10-31-2003, 10:59 PM
I ain't losin' nothin' but fingernails and major pieces of my butt.

ain't about all that.

I'm glad this forum exists. how do you deal with a partner who is more selfish than supportive? I mean,,,, how else can I put it?

Sonnie Layne
10-31-2003, 11:12 PM
Bob,

Thanks for rescuing me.

I think I took care of it.

longduk
10-31-2003, 11:21 PM
Sonnie,

Stupid 'puter won't let me at your posts. You'll have to get 'em.
Holler if you need to. It aint easy but you're worth it.

Sonnie Layne
10-31-2003, 11:26 PM
Screw that.
email is slayne@sonnielayne.com

phone 214.532.0534 24/7

longduk
10-31-2003, 11:34 PM
Ok I got it. You gonna be allright for tonight? Make ya a deal, I won't smoke if you don't. Not trying to be funny but that's how this got started ain't it.

Hey, I know I been out here shuckin' and makin' all cute but I smoked for 30 years and ain't had one in 22 days. I know it bites I just keep yappin at my friends and bitin' down hard and promising I'm not gonna hurt no one today:p

WE'LL MAKE IT

OH, BTW it's Cami's birthday.

Sonnie Layne
10-31-2003, 11:39 PM
something I've learned from previous addictions, is that the more you enforce your own convictions, the easier it is to you... kinda like becoming the preacher, right? you all of a sudden have to live up to what you preach?

I'd still like to talk,

Sonnie Layne
10-31-2003, 11:42 PM
I smoked longer than that... by 5 years or so.

Will you help me? Did you renage?, It's cool, shit life is one give-after after another.

Please stick with me on this, Dave. I'm kinda weak and I'm really needing enouragemane.... can't see to type rightt neow....

Sonnie Layne
10-31-2003, 11:43 PM
please stay with me........

Muny
11-01-2003, 07:05 AM
Hey Sonnie
You ok? Are you quitting cold turkey?
I wish I had seen this last night. I'd have been more than happy to add some encouragement. We all know exactly what you're going through. When I was a smoker (love that past tense!) nothing stopped me from lighting up-nothing. Didn't matter how sick I was. And I still get urges. I guess for once my stubborness is a good thing, because I just don't want to break my record.
Hang in there! :)

cx
11-01-2003, 08:22 AM
Sounds like you had a bad night there, Sonnie. Hope you made it through so you could not smoke some more today. :)

John Bridge
11-01-2003, 10:30 AM
Sonnie, get hold of yourself, man. It's a piece of shit cigarette -- garbage. You haven't had any of it in you for days. Why would you consider NOT holding the line?

Now chug down a box of quality wine and get on with life. :)

longduk
11-01-2003, 11:41 AM
Hey Sonnie,

How's my quit bud today? I know ya had a pretty rough one last night. Did ya make it ok? You know I didn't give up on ya. You got my number, use it if ya want to. I told ya 24/7.

I agree with John. I know it's hard, but like he says it's just a damn weed. Not worth going off the deep end. Sounds like maybe you got some other issues right now, but I can promise you smoking won't make them go away.

Again I would urge you to join Freedom. You got a bunch of good friends here that will help all they can but speaking only for myself, I aint no expert.

There are however a bunch of 'em at Freedom and it's global so someone gonna be awake 24/7 if ya need them. I been lucky, I've been using both forums. TYW, and Freedom, all I can say is they both help a whole bunch.

Enjoy that wine, cuss er' I mean call me if you need to.

Sonnie Layne
11-01-2003, 11:45 AM
I have been a quitter for 1 Week, 1 Day, 1 hour, 47 minutes and 34 seconds (8 days). I have saved $39.96 by not smoking 242 cigarettes. I have saved 20 hours and 10 minutes of my life.

There simply can be no one in my life right now that's important enough for me not to look after my own self. That goes against every grain of my being, but that's just the way it is.

Thanks everyone.

longduk
11-01-2003, 12:06 PM
ALLRIGHT SONNIE!

Glad your doin' OK.

Again, any time man! Just take care of yourself!

Gonna have to add:

Sonnie is a quitter :nya: Muny is a quitter :nya: CX is a quitter :nya: John is a quitter :nya: Longduk is a quitter :nya:

John Bridge
11-01-2003, 04:01 PM
And Patti is a quitter. She's been off the cigs a couple months now. ;)

As soon as y'all get over the hump on this, though, I'm gonna start a thread on dieting. My belly has been expanding at an astounding rate since I swore off the nicotine. ;)

Sonnie Layne
11-01-2003, 04:17 PM
Hell, there may always be someone going over the hump on this, wouldn't it be cool to think this forum had some influence in that direction?

As for the dieting, well, you know me in the kitchen....hehehe

cx
11-01-2003, 09:54 PM
Hell, there may always be someone going over the hump on this, wouldn't it be cool to think this forum had some influence in that direction?
Personally, I think that would be cool as hell, Sonnie. :shades:

Welcome back. :)

jjwq8
11-02-2003, 12:27 AM
Dieting????? :eek:

Dammit John, stop being a meanie!

When I quit, I went from 68 Kg (150 lbs) to 110 Kg (240lbs). I am now around 90 Kg (200 lbs). Since I stand erect on those rare occasions when I can be bothered at 185 cm, I am considered to be 5 Kg (12 lbs) overweight. See how simple metrification makes your life? Height in centimeters less 100 equals ideal weight in Kgs.

The devine M insists that I am porcine, though that is likely more a reflection of my disposition and her opinion of me than my body fat ratio.:D

Yes you gain weight when you quit, but it is more to do with inherent increased enjoyment of the comestibles you continue to shovel down than anything else.

A comedian in the UK name of Jasper Carrot (Yep his real name) has a flawless explanation of dieting and weight gain.

According to JC it is a simple matter of mechanical design. The orifice at the top is larger than the orifice at the bottom. Ergo, traffic is bound to build up ergo you are bound to gain weight. This is universally applicable to everyon except politicians who as we all know have interchangeable orifices.

dian57
11-02-2003, 04:20 AM
I just spent quite a bit of time reading through this thread.

Bob, Sonnie, I'm so very proud of the effort expended and determination you've both got in fighting your nicotine addictions.

I've seen Walt struggle to quit countless times over our years together but the pull is too strong for him.

I have to agree with Sonnie when he says beating drug, and I'll add alcohol, addiction is easier than beating nicotine. Every ex-smoker I know says they miss it every single day. What a cross to bear.

Keep up the great work, guys. You've just increased your chances of all of us growing old together. Dianne

longduk
11-02-2003, 08:43 AM
First, and foremost, GOOD ON PATTI. Why didn't you say something sooner JB? We'll take all the experienced quitters we can get around here on the TYW smoking cessation forum:D

Secondly, thank you for the vote of confidence Dianne. I'd like to encourage you and Walt to take a look at www.whyquit.com. Pay paticular attention to Joel's Library. I think Sonnie will back me up on the significance of that site.

Next, I'd like to get on my soap box a little. I've seen several comments in this thread suggesting that there is a difference between drug, alcohol and nicotine addiction. I invite you to visit the following link. http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_01_01_junkie.html

Now that I've gotten that off my healthy, deep breathing chest, here's the part where everyone get to boo, hiss, and call Longduk nasty names. I've managed to LOSE 2 pounds since I quit smoking.:eek:

Epilogue: If anyone around here still cares about tile setting, I'm gonna go seal the grout in my bathroom. Yeah, that spensive Gold 15 stuff:D

Davy
11-02-2003, 11:18 AM
Sonnie, Bob and Patti, I'm pulling hard for all of you and admire what you're doing. You knew it wasn't going to be easy yet you are doing it. Congratulations.

John, let me know before you start that diet thread so I can pig-out the day before.;)

John Bridge
11-02-2003, 08:23 PM
I went from 190 to 225 in no time flat. I'm still at about 225, all of it right where my waist used to be. :D

Davy
11-02-2003, 09:24 PM
I hear you John, I don't even own a good scale, I'll jump on one sometimes when working in peoples houses, when no one is looking of course. I haven't weighted myself in a couple years until a few weeks ago and the scales lied and said 282. That was boots and all but still way too much. I can loose about 10-15 lbs fairly easy but after that I have a tough time.;)

John, how long has it been since you smoked? Had to be hard to stop with Patti continuing to smoke didn't it?

jvcstone
11-03-2003, 08:40 AM
For anyone who cares, I put on a quick 20 to 25 lbs in a short period of time after QUITING back in may. Got to the point where I couldn't even button the old levis without great effort. Just like JB, it was all around the middle, and even I felt a bit embarrased about it. However, I kept shoving the food down to keep from dipping. Lady friend gives me a diet book.(HINT HINT HINT) Called the South Beach Diet, and I actually read it. The darn thing makes a lot of sense, and doesn't really restrict a persons culinary freedom. Found out that I could eat most of the things I really enjoy but eliminate a few things I was eating a lot of. Now about 5 weeks later, I can once again button the jeans, and there is a waist line back where it belongs, and the blood chemistry is getting a lot better. Anyone serious about trimming up a little could check this diet out. Might be a happy surprise.
And for all you guys and gals going through the nicotine elimination. Keep up the good work, and keep building up that time you are investing in yourselves and your futures. Ain't it great to smell the roses again.

Sonnie Layne
11-03-2003, 10:55 AM
so far, no weight gain for me, but I'm still about 10 over ideal. Gotta get back on my old eating habits. I tend to gain in the winter, anyway, so I'd like to get it back off.

Sonnie Layne
11-03-2003, 08:06 PM
don't mean to be a cry baby.

just seems like anything that increases you endorphines??? expectations somehow want to..... but then they're gone. just another wave on the shore.

thank you. again.

cx
11-03-2003, 08:24 PM
Don't recall ever having gained any weight when I quit. In fact, the only side effect of note was that I quit chewing my fingernails, which was just another bad habit. Go figger. :)

Muny
11-04-2003, 12:42 PM
We both (hubby and I) gained some weight. He gained alot more than I though.:laugh2: Which in a way was weird because he used to be one of those tall lanky kinda guys. 6'5" 170 . He's over 200 now and except for his gut, looks alot healthier now.
Me-I just went up a pant size, which I don't like one bit.

How ya doin Sonnie? Gettin any easier yet? Hang in there!

Sonnie Layne
11-04-2003, 12:58 PM
Thanks for asking, my quit-o-meter says:

I have been quit for 1 Week, 4 Days, 3 hours, 6 minutes and 14 seconds (11 days).

I have saved $55.08 by not smoking 333 cigarettes.

I have saved 1 Day, 3 hours and 45 minutes of my life.

It is certainly somewhat easier. Odd the associations you form. I always thought not having a smoke when I woke up would be hard. Not so. Now, when I breathe or use my brain in any way...... that's when it's hard :D:D:D

Seriously, I'm over the hump, I think.

cx
11-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Good on you, Poet. :)

You can't quit now on accounta you know we'd all make fun of you for wasitn' almost two weeks of having already been a quitter. That alone should be enough incentive to stay quitted, eh? :D

Sonnie Layne
11-04-2003, 01:30 PM
Don't you think for a minute I haven't considered that!!!!

You'd be the first:)

Davy
11-04-2003, 06:09 PM
Glad you're doing better Sonnie, keep it up.:)

John Bridge
11-04-2003, 07:21 PM
Okay, so all the quitters seem to be doing okay, not that it's easy. I know better than that. :)

On to this weight thing. Davy, you are a pig, man. Back yourself away from the table, or don't waddle up there to begin with. :D

CX, you're one of those people who couldn't gain weight if his life depended on it, so just keep quiet, okay? :D

I've been quit for about four years. Can't remember. Patti quit nearly three months ago. She's over the nicotine thing. I know she still gets the urge, but you just have to know Patti. When she makes up her mind, that's it. Believe me. ;)

Davy
11-04-2003, 08:33 PM
Oh yeah, I'll bet I could beat you in a foot race....as long as there's a plate of food at the finish line.:D

Sonnie Layne
11-04-2003, 08:36 PM
seems simple enough to me....

worry a lot,
give everyone a raft of shit every day
go owl hunting

great and proven plan. Thanks, Kelly.

cx
11-04-2003, 10:21 PM
I do not go owl hunting every day. :mad:

But if you only get one choice of activity for a weight loss program, owl huntin's a good one. Eat all the granola bars you're willing to carry all night long and never count a calorie. I like the chocolate chip ones, thank you. :)

I've never been prone to obesity, John, you're right there, but when I only do shop work and desk work for a couple weeks, like lately, my cut-offs get a little tight around the middle. Need to schedule some work on scaffolds and ladders. Good excercise that, 'specially for somebody working alone who forgets to bring the right tools a lot of the time. :D

OK, back to bidness!

NO SMOKING! Y'all got that? :bonk:

Sonnie Layne
11-04-2003, 10:36 PM
Do I have time to get in shape for the next owl hunt?

Experienced with 80# packs (a few years ago) and existential living. Great sense of direction, following the trail of flora, food.

Comanche.

cx
11-04-2003, 11:03 PM
Season starts in April. Your call. :)

I carry 80 pound packs alla time, too. Takes me two trips.

Great sense of direction is a definite plus; I ain't got one.

Following trails of any kind is usually not an option. Flora out in the country where we work don't seem to leave no tracks anyway. Fauna, neither. Too much rock.

We don't never try to tie the botanicals to anything. Not supposed to be pickin' flowers anyway. Usually dark and all the flowers is closed up for the night. Ain't never tried to tie nothin' to no bats, neither, although there are frequently some around. Too fast for tyin' stuff to.

Why you wanna tie flowers to bats anyway? S'posta be tryin' to find the owls. :rolleyes:

Not sure this is a good job for Poets. :D

Sonnie Layne
11-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Y'er prob'ly right, but botanists/taxonomists never get very hungry.

Thanks for your recent help.

cx
11-04-2003, 11:17 PM
My pleasure. :)

John Bridge
11-05-2003, 06:58 AM
Carry an eighty-pound pack up the side of the mountain in the dark just to hunt owls. Yeah, right. I'll be right there. Keep the fire burning for me, will ya?

;)

cx
11-05-2003, 11:36 PM
Not moi! That was Da Poet with the 80 pound pack. Me, I rarely go above 60 pounds.

And when it starts gettin' on towards summer, I always wanna walk up inna dark so's it ain't so hot. Carry pack inna dark; fish inna daylight. :)

And don't be too quick to sit at home, there, JB. Keep in mind that when we hunt owls, they give us money. :shades:

Your money. :D

Sonnie Layne
11-05-2003, 11:49 PM
Heck, that's not gonna interest him. he's got all that new royalty money comin in..... ;)

All he's gotta do is sit there with his beautiful non-smokin' self and daydream of how his wealth will be spent. Perhaps a new stain on the fence/deck? Maybe paint the trim around the windows?

Naa, he's way above us now.

I have not smoked for 1 Week, 5 Days, 13 hours, 56 minutes and 30 seconds (12 days). I have saved $62.27 by not smoking 377 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 7 hours and 25 minutes of my life.

John, now that I think about cleaning/refinishing your deck/fence area,,,, that would be quite a nightmare, no? Figure in the flora. The contractors damned sure won't.

Thanks both of you. I'm just about over the bridge and both of you had a lot to do with it. Even now, just writing..... reinforces what I know to be right. oh crap,...... does that make me a right whanger????

tileguytodd
11-06-2003, 07:08 AM
Yep. carried a 60# pack once for a few days.when it rained it became a 70# pack,yep.pretty much decided after the first 15 miles that back packing sucked!! i'll take my canoe thank you very much ;)
And if i gotta do a mountain, i'll take a horse or a mule.What the heck ya think thier for anyways :D

John Bridge
11-06-2003, 08:20 AM
Way to go, Sonnie. After a week, it's all down hill. Wait a miniute, I think I just described the essence of life.

Sonnie Layne
11-06-2003, 08:26 PM
thanks for getting us back on subject.

tomorrow's two weeks. I'm happy about it, but somehow skeptical. Actually, considering the ailments that have fallen my way during the cessation period, I can be proud. I'm just not used to that.

Thanks again everyone. Bob, you stay in touch, y'hear?

longduk
11-07-2003, 07:22 AM
You got it Sonnie. Congratulations on two weeks.

cx
11-07-2003, 08:40 AM
Yep, should start gettin' easier now, Sonnie, if you can just keep your head inna right place. :)

No, wait, that would be somebody else, wouldn't it? :p

Sonnie Layne
11-07-2003, 08:54 AM
you know me well

thanks again to all.

Sonnie Layne
11-07-2003, 11:59 PM
I have not smoked for 2 Weeks, 14 hours, 8 minutes and 3 seconds (14 days).

I have saved $72.21 by not smoking 437 cigarettes.

I have saved 1 Day, 12 hours and 25 minutes of my life.

if the last statement doesn't sound important to you, the rest is a joke.

cx
11-08-2003, 12:52 AM
Well, then, there's no need for you to smoke today either, is there now? :shades:

You're doin' fine, Poet. A year from now you'll look back at all this and laugh at how tough you thought it was gonna be. :)

Sonnie Layne
11-08-2003, 01:15 AM
thanks, K

Means a lot to me. I'm havin' my 2 week anniversary cake...... Italian bread stuffed with peanut butter, plum jam, butter and garlic.

I have to say this for all those that have ever considered quitting that there's only two events that have ever had more lasting effects on my life after only two weeks.

The birth of my daughter

The marriage to my (former) wife.

This is really a milestone, it will be protected and a source of strength toward everything else that comes along.

Hard? Yes in it's own way, but not for long. It settles out to be something like "damned I wanna go fishing" after a couple weeks. I'm into week two and the flashes (not cravings) last about 10 seconds, maybe 15. They come around frequently, but what's 10 seconds compared to the time I save to spend with my girlfriend and my daughter?

After what I went thro' the first 3 or 7 days, I'm not going through that again. But...... you know all that, don't you?

Davy
11-08-2003, 04:30 PM
Two weeks under your belt, way to go Sonnie.;)

Sonnie Layne
11-08-2003, 08:42 PM
thanks everyone.

goin' pretty smooth mostly.

Muny
11-09-2003, 08:51 AM
I am so mad at myself! Nov 7 was my 2 year anniversary and I forgot! Oh well...at my age, it doesn't surprise me at all. But, I'd much rather forget my birthday than my quitting day! :rofl:

Congrats Sonnie! I can tell you'll make it with that attitude! :yipee:

longduk
11-09-2003, 10:10 AM
Congrats Muny! One month for me today.:yipee:

Thinkin' about a new signitcher

"I quit smoking and extended my life expectancy. My wife is furious."

Waddya Think?

John Bridge
11-09-2003, 10:17 AM
Don't know about that one. The one you have isn't bad. ;)

longduk
11-09-2003, 10:23 AM
Serious like JB, was that yours at some point? I'd swear I've seen it sumwar.

John Bridge
11-09-2003, 10:35 AM
Naw, you're not plagiarizing me, and if you were you wouldn't be using original material. :D

Sonnie Layne
11-09-2003, 03:43 PM
Happy anniversary Bob!!!

Have your date on my calendar.

Seems Flatfloor has had an anniversary scattered in here over the past month or so. I may be wrong, but I believe he's the one that started all this about a year (or was it two) ago.

flatfloor
11-09-2003, 04:18 PM
Actually it was 9/01 but a wheel came off the wagon for about 2 months. I'm not worried about that though , water under the bridge. :)

cx
11-09-2003, 05:55 PM
Damn, Flatfloor, you done quit twict? :eek:

longduk
11-10-2003, 07:22 AM
Thanks Sonnie, I got your date in my Quitometer doodad.

flatfloor
11-10-2003, 06:21 PM
CX, yeah it was early in the game tho, so I don't look at it quite that way. Guess I could. :)

cx
11-13-2003, 12:33 AM
This ol' wagon been pretty quiet.

Hope didn't nobody fall off. :)

longduk
11-13-2003, 07:37 AM
Free and Healing for One Month, Four Days, 10 Hours and 35 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 4 Days and 18 Hours, by avoiding the use of 1378 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $122.79.

How 'bout dem apples:D

Thanks fer askin'

cx
11-13-2003, 08:03 AM
Dem's good apples, indeed, Bob. :)

Hell, pretty soon we won't even count you as a quitter, you'll jist be somebody what usta smoke back in his old life. :D

Sonnie Layne
11-13-2003, 09:43 AM
I have not smoked for 2 Weeks, 5 Days, 23 hours and 46 minutes (19 days).
I have saved $98.95 by not smoking 599 cigarettes.
I have saved 2 Days, 1 hour and 55 minutes of my life.

For the next few minutes I've made a choice not to smoke. Breathing so much easier, fewer sinus/allergy reactions. Can't say food tastes better, my food has always been excellent :D:D

Anyway, thanks, CX..... all four wheels still spinnin'.

longduk
11-13-2003, 10:33 AM
WHAT!!! I USTA SMOKE!!!:eek:

There's another guy lurkin' around here that's gonna be three weeks tomorrow.

Thanks CX

longduk
11-13-2003, 10:35 AM
Well, speak of :devil:

Hiya Sonnie

Sonnie Layne
11-13-2003, 12:35 PM
whassup?

Really kinda nice, I'm sittin' here having my New Guinea Estates coffee and doesn't bring any cravings at all, because I very rarely drink coffee and never had the association.

Hope your next hunt is more fruitful. I may be working in Galveston for 3 or 4 weeks, I'll get my opportunity to fill up on Flounder, Jacks, Redfish and perhaps a stray Mackerel. Only prob is being that long away from da home.

John Bridge
11-13-2003, 06:20 PM
What's going on in Galveston? Beach house, maybe? :)

Sonnie Layne
11-13-2003, 07:23 PM
My understanding is it's a real house, big trees heaving up the p/b foundation, lots of exterior trim replacement, likely a bit of exterior stripping to do as he mentioned no one's done a real paint job on it in years. Don't know a lot, it just fell in my lap today. Pediatrician keeps his ex down there. ;)

jjwq8
11-14-2003, 02:29 AM
Sonnie,

Just checked my atlas and couldn't find hide nor hair of an X anywhere near Galveston. :shake:
Must be one those jobs thats easy as ABC :nod:

flatfloor
11-14-2003, 05:00 PM
Sonnie, you have a pediatrician? :uhh:

Sonnie Layne
11-14-2003, 05:17 PM
If she pays enough I do !!! :D

reminds me of the Randy Newman song...

"...and she said "Tell me are you Christian?"
and I said, "Man, I am tonight".
I was walkin' in Memphis... "

longduk
11-14-2003, 06:49 PM
Just wanted to say happy 3 weeks Sonnie! You gotta be feeling pretty good by now.

Sonnie Layne
11-14-2003, 07:14 PM
Yeah, feelin' great. Still some associations, but I'm sure they're always gonna be there to some degree or another.

Weird, I still find myself going into the kitchen, then wonder what the hell I'm doing in there. I don't smoke anymore, but the behaviour is weird to take apart.

Thanks, goin' into 6 weeks for you, right? Hang tight, I'm right behind you.

Davy
11-14-2003, 08:13 PM
When I was a kid my dad smoked El Producto Blunts. When he decided to quit he kept his lighter in his pocket (just in case). It took him several months to stop reaching in his pocket and grabing that lighter. At the same time he would reach up to his shirt pocket to get another cigar. He'd say oh yeah, I quit.;)

longduk
11-15-2003, 12:03 AM
Yeah Sonnie, aint it great to feel so good. I'm a bit (not much) ahead of ya and I still think sometimes I'd like a smoke. Key word there is "like". I no longer "need" one. I can make a decision each day rather or not to take one. I didn't take one today. I feel so well I think I'll pass tomorrow.

We are both at the point we can take it or leave it. We'll each have to make that choice less and less each day until it's a given. We just don't smoke.

I'm a nicotine addict, I don't choose to be that way but I can't help it. I am however nicotine free for over five weeks. I plan to remain so. The only thing that will stop me is if I reintroduce nicotine into my bloodstream. In other words, no nicotine for me today, not a puff.

How 'bout you friend?

jjwq8
11-15-2003, 01:02 AM
Sonnie,
Marc Cohn might be a wee bit pissed at you for hijacking one of his better works :D

cx
11-15-2003, 08:00 AM
Good attitude there, Bob, but you're talkin' to the wrong guy. Sonnie don't smoke neither. :)

longduk
11-15-2003, 08:40 AM
By Golly CX you're right again! When am I gonna learn:bang:

John Bridge
11-16-2003, 07:01 AM
Yep, and unless we get some new quitters on here, we're gonna hafta change the gist of this thread to cookin' or somethin'. :D

jjwq8
11-16-2003, 12:43 PM
SSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sonnie might be listening :nod:

longduk
11-16-2003, 07:16 PM
Ain't no way, this here's a quittin' thread. Somebody gotta quit or me and Chef's gonna quit quittin' NOT! How ya doin Sonnie? Know what? I want a smoke. But I don't want the 1000s that will come after it. So I'll pass today.

cx
11-16-2003, 07:51 PM
Hehehe, ol' Bob was confused there for a second, everybody. Said he wanted a smoke! Hehehe, little confused was all. HE DIDN'T REALLY WANT NO STINKIN' SMOKE. Damn, all that extry money he's got's makin' his brain fuzzy, is all.

See! He done figgered it out already. :)

Sonnie Layne
11-17-2003, 12:43 AM
Bob, been a bad day for me, too.....

Maybe the holidays mounting up on us.... never mind CX, he's just too perfect, but.......... let me tell you this... first time experience for me happened today at the grocery (and I know you know how I love the grocery)

Someone in front of me at the fish market was apparantly a smoker. Now.... I couldn't exactly say anything against it, but I leaned against a friend of mine, shopping with me, and axed "Did I smell like that?".... He replied " Worse".

The reek of this person was so bad I couldn't make a purchase, Bob. I swear to you. I left the store with nothing in my sack.

Same thing's gotta occur to you when you're hunting, eh???

Shit, if I can smell it, them grouses or deers gotta be smellin' it long time before me.

I'm so ashamed that all this time I accomponied fine company and I would smell like that........ I always thought myself above that, somehow.

One of JJ's friends said one day, to her.... "Too bad he smokes".

I had no idea how revolting it was. I won't have nearly the complacent response, I'm afraid. Why the shit would I have to put up with a co-worker's stench at my expense?

Sorry, I'll try not to get so southern bound with my attitiude....

You'd better hang in there, goll danged, Bob....... them deer smell that tobacco and relate it to enemy ....... don't do this to me. I'll not do it to you.

Yeah,,,,, for this moment it would be good. Suck on something else... pick up the guitar and sing a few.... walk the five miles to the store and get a pack of gum, saying all the time "five miles ain't gonna defeat me" "five miles I can overcome".

After all, it's only five miles. Stick with me, Bob. I'm with you. Yeah, it's been a tough one, holidays are only gonna make it worse.

Plenty of us here for you.

longduk
11-17-2003, 07:40 AM
Whoa, maybe I gave the wrong impression:eek:

I said I WANTED a smoke, didn't say I was gonna HAVE one!:shake:

Thanks for the support though. If ever I do think I'm gonna cave I promise I'll come here before I do and let you guys talk me out of it.

You know what I was wonderin Sonnie? You cook, play guitbox, sing do some premier remodeling, is there any thing you don't do?

Oh yeah, I forgot YOU DON'T SMOKE:D

Sonnie Layne
11-17-2003, 09:33 AM
I hear that a lot. I don't put any limitations on myself. I get curious, I find out, that's all. I find out, then get a job in that field, then figure it out, get bored and quit to go to the next round. The excitement quickly leaves first time you try to prepare a resume. Hope I never grow up, is all I can hope for. :)

Actually, you've barely scratched the surface... Nuclear physics is a real weak point of mine. Wish I would have paid attention in class.

Glad, so glad I misunderstood re. your not smoking. Nothing compares to the spoken word, eh? At any rate, nothing will back up your own doctrine like preaching it to someone else :D:D

I seem to be over the insomnia, but having dreams.

Damned if I ever wanna smell like that again. I'm gettin' like Kelly. But it's not the smell of a cigarette burning that's bad, it's the reek of someone who smokes a lot. The clothes, the hair, they just plain stink and I'm ashamed to think that I was once like that. I washed windows yesterday because in my mind they stank :D:D:D stink, stank, stunk???? where's the grammarian?

jjwq8
11-17-2003, 10:36 AM
Carn't thunk wear he'd be gone too. prolly sumplaice lerning too tipe and spel :D

Sonnie Layne
11-17-2003, 10:43 AM
He hangs out around down Austin-ways, but I ain't herd from him in a while. He's around, though, I never doubt that. He loves to hop in and inject conjectures onced in a whal. ;)

Now if that don't draw 'im out, we'll have to go in, sheriff!!!