My wife is making me paranoid [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : My wife is making me paranoid

MILTON
12-13-2009, 08:32 PM
My wife is making me paranoid. Iím doing a bathroom remodel on a 6 by 8 bath that has a tub. I have gutted all the walls and replaced the wet areas with a vapor barrier and hardibacker. The ceiling was in good condition and I left that intact. The room will be decorated with a 13 by 13 porcelain tile and mosaic sheets of glass and porcelain. I have over half of the ceiling done in the 13 by 13 and now my wife is worried the ceiling will fall on her. I never even considered that but now Iím thinking I should of used something stronger then drywall for the foundation. Should I be concerned?

Thank you
Milton

Sponsored Links

Ken
12-13-2009, 09:11 PM
First things first, what kind of thinset did you use? Was there paint on the ceiling? If so, was it peeling or cracking at all?

Davy
12-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Hi Milton. You can get tile to stick to drywall very well, depends on what you have used to bond the tiles with and how well the drywall is nailed to the ceiling joists.:)

MILTON
12-13-2009, 09:27 PM
Hi guys.
The ceiling was in good condition with no peeling or cracking. The house is 30 years old and the builder used liquid nails or something simliar on every stud and drywall connection then secured with drywall nails. I used my orbital sander to rough up the semi gloss paint and I am using latacrete 255 for the thinset. I am very impressed by how well it holds the tile without sag.

Milton

Houston Remodeler
12-13-2009, 09:28 PM
We normally add more screws to the drywall making sure they are properly dimpled and not too far in. Does anyone use drywall nails anymore?

Can you go up to the attic and check? Take a row postage stamps with you. Lick the stamps and place one end of a row on the cieling joist, put the other end of the row on the drywall in question with the perforations right at the gap between the joist and the drywall. If there is any increased separation you will see the perforation is torn, and a pile of drywall on the bathroom floor.

How long has that drywall been up? Have you have problems with any other ceilings? While you are in the attic check around .

Houston Remodeler
12-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Milton, you beat me to it. Sounds like you should be OK

MILTON
12-13-2009, 09:38 PM
I have a mansford roof and virtual no attic where I can walk around in. To access the bedroom or bathroom form the attic I would have to crawl on my stomach. I did that 30 years ago but not now. That's the main reason I didn't want to mess with the ceilng and attic insulation.

Milton