Can we use MIXED thinset the next day [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Can we use MIXED thinset the next day

ccdiy
12-13-2009, 09:56 AM
We mixed too much thinset yesterday and only used a small amount of it. Can we use that same thinset (we covered it with saran wrap) today, 24 hrs later? Or has the chemical bonding properties time window elapsed?

What is the ratio of water to thinset to use?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links

ceramictec
12-13-2009, 10:01 AM
I think you should start off by reading the side of the bag.

ccdiy
12-13-2009, 10:06 AM
We did read the side of the bag but it was mostly diagrams and not very explicit. While it shows a large bucket with 6 quarts of water, it doesn't say if that is for the entire bag or what.

There are no guidelines that say up until how long it can be used (assuming the substance is still wet and pliable. They only talk about the wait time after mixing and how long it takes for it to dry once applied.

Anyone else with more useful suggestions?

Thank you!

Lazarus
12-13-2009, 10:10 AM
While covering it might slow down the setting time a bit, it won't be workable the following day.

ccdiy
12-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Nevermind, I read on another site, not to add more water once the the batch has been mixed and it's rather thick now.

Will try to remix again guessing the proper ratio.

Thanks anyway.

Brian in San Diego
12-13-2009, 10:40 AM
cc,

Do you have a bathroom scale? I have never mixed a full bag of thinset. The directions on the bag are for the entire bag. So if it says to add 5 qts. of water for the entire bag then you need 1 qt. of water for 1/5 the bag or ten pounds. If that's how much you want to mix put 1 qt. of water in a bucket then add powder until you have taken 10 pounds out of the bag. I weigh the bag first and then weigh it a couple of times as I'm adding the powder.

It should mix up to the correct consistency but if it doesn't adding a little powder or a squeeze of water from a sponge should get it to the creamy peanut butter consistency you are looking for. Make sure you mix it for at least five minutes to get it to hydrate properly. One the web you should be able to find the data sheet for the thinset you are using and find the pot life. That's how much time you have to use the thinset. You can (and should) remix it during that time but should NEVER add more water to it.

Brian

Tool Guy - Kg
12-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Welcome to the forum, CC.

What these guys said. And thinsets generally have a pot life (period that thinset remains usable) of up to 2-3 hours tops. Many have significantly shorter pot lifes. If you tell us which thinset you're using, we can give you a more precise time. :)

Jonnycat
12-13-2009, 12:18 PM
I bought the little scale (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95364) from harbor freight, and use it to mix up 10 pounds of thinset at a time. It takes a quart of water, and I still have some left over after the four hour window my FlexBond is good for.

Renee1234
12-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Mixed too much the first time. Figured if I covered it, all would be grand in the morning. Nope. Ended up with fully cured thinset in a bucket. Hope your project is going smoothly! :)

Rd Tile
12-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Go look in the pail, you now have your answer.:D

Scottish Tile and Stone
12-13-2009, 06:28 PM
lmao^^^^^^^^^^^^ Instant boat anchor

Houston Remodeler
12-13-2009, 06:32 PM
For us, thinset normally is workable for 4 hours. Besides that's either lunch time or quitting time.

Davy
12-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Make a yard bunny out of it.:)

Hammy
12-13-2009, 07:25 PM
I was waiting for the yard bunny comment. Hammy