PVC pipe in the way of tiling shower wall [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : PVC pipe in the way of tiling shower wall

Ann
09-20-2003, 01:55 PM
Hi, I'm new here and hope you can help me!

When we took out our tub we found a PVC pipe from the toilet vent (I think) that sticks out about two inches deep by 2.5 wide by 5 inches tall at floor level. How should we frame around it so that it looks like it is part of the design of the shower? It is 15" from the nearest corner.

Sponsored Links

Bill Vincent
09-20-2003, 02:16 PM
Build a bench around it? How does a "stink pipe" end up in the middle of a shower!?!?

Ann
09-20-2003, 02:26 PM
I want to use a better bench which won't cover this problem. There used to be a tub over this part of the wall which covered this pipe. We demolished the tub/shower to put in a large shower.

Rob Z
09-20-2003, 04:04 PM
Ann

Are you on a slab or on framing?

Ann
09-20-2003, 09:53 PM
framing- second floor bathroom

Rob Z
09-20-2003, 09:55 PM
Ann

That's good...no concrete to break up. I would take up part of the subfloor, and cut in a vent so it rises in the wall cavity. Problem solved! :)

Post a picture after the floor is up and we can help more.

Ann
09-20-2003, 10:53 PM
Unfortunately we would have to remove drywall in the ceiling below to make that happen. And do alot of cutting and replacing of PVC to make all of the angles of the different pipes work together.

So, I was trying to come up with a way to avoid that and incorporate the problem area into the new shower.

Davy
09-20-2003, 11:27 PM
Hi Ann, can a piece of plywood or sub-floor be cut out and rework the pipes from upstairs? Can you post a picture of what you have?

cx
09-20-2003, 11:45 PM
What Davy and Rob said. :)

PVC pipe is about as easy as it gets for moving drains. You can even put in a flexible coupling where you don't have just the right fitting. Can even get some flexable pipe from your hot tub supplier. You're gonna hafta cut the floor up a bit to move the drain to the center of the shower anyway, are you not? Bet you can do it all from the top. We do that frequently in concrete slabs, and there ain't never any going in from the bottom on those. :)

John Bridge
09-21-2003, 09:32 AM
Hi Ann, Welcome. :)

I agree with Rob and CX. This is not a major problem, and you will not have to remove drywall from the ceiling below. You can redirect the pipe in the space between the joists. And the drain and trap WILL have to be relocated into the center area of the new shower.

How about getting signed up so our server can bestow some cookies upon your computer? Good cookies, and we don't sell your info, either. ;)

Registering will enable you to post pictures.

Ann
09-21-2003, 04:34 PM
Here's a picture of the problem pipe. It's in the background on the left.

I don't know if the picture is showing up. When I preview the post, it's not here.

Anyways, the pipe is going underneath the toilet area on the other side of the wall.

Ann
09-21-2003, 04:35 PM
Okay, how do I get the photo to show up? I attached it as a .jpg under "Attach file".

davem
09-21-2003, 04:39 PM
That's a quirk of this software. Once you choose the picture, just post it. Previewing it seems to kill it. :twitch:

Ann
09-21-2003, 04:44 PM
okay, here goes...

Ann
09-21-2003, 04:47 PM
Here's side view to show how far it sticks out.

cx
09-21-2003, 05:16 PM
Good job, Ann. I'd be curious to see more to the right of the first picture. What's the other vent connected to?

At a glance, I'm inclined to say that if you can't find a way to turn up from the four inch pipe sharply enough to stay within the wall, I'd cut and cap the two inch line as it comes out of the four inch fitting. Then cut into the pipe just to the left of that big fitting (on the other side of the joist to the left of it, just to the right of, or in place of the coupling we see there) and install a tee. Drill down through the sole plate at that point and bring your vent up through that hole. Then cut the existing vertical vent pipe above the horizontal copper pipe, drill through the stud, and with two 90 degree or two 45 degree fittings attach the new pipe coming up through the floor to the existing vertical vent pipe.

You appear not to have moved the tub drain yet, is that correct? It may be that you can cut the pipe to the right of the four inch coupling and use a fernco fitting to attach a new drain line and a tee for the vent there. You don't appear to have room to glue another fitting. Then you could run the new vent up to the old one within the same stud cavity.

It's tough to decide on the easiest method in a case like this without being there, but it is certain that you can eliminate that problem pipe working only from the area you have shown.

Others will be by with other ideas.

tileguytodd
09-21-2003, 05:21 PM
Sure glad you tackled this one Kelly,I woulda called a plumber ;)
Of course,I do that all the time :D

Ann
09-22-2003, 07:37 PM
Thanks for all of your help, cx! DH moved the pipe tonight. Life is good!!

John Bridge
09-22-2003, 07:44 PM
Way to go! :)

cx
09-22-2003, 07:56 PM
Which way'd he move it?

More pichers! :D

Ann
09-22-2003, 08:03 PM
He moved it to the left. Pichers tomorrow...:)

Ann
09-23-2003, 06:53 PM
How'd he do, cx?

John Bridge
09-23-2003, 09:09 PM
That's gonna work. ;)

cx
09-23-2003, 09:40 PM
Can't tell. Part I see looks fine, but for all we know he mighta just run that pipe up above the top of the picher and gone off to drink beer. :D

That's zackly what I had in mind. :)