Liquid Nail instead of thinset for backsplash? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Nail instead of thinset for backsplash?

tmartin
09-23-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm sure the question has been asked several times but I couldn't seem to locate it in the search engine for the forums. I had a friend of mine who does quite a bit of tile but is not a professional mention to me that I can use a certain type of liquid nails to install my backsplash in my kitchen. I would much rather do this than going the thinset route but I will do whatever is best. I have recently installed a granite tile countertop with 24"x24" tiles but the tile i am using for the backsplash is Ceramic Tile sheets with subway style tiles on them. Can someone point me in the right direction in regards to using Liquid Nail or should I just breakout the trowel and get the thinset going. Thanks in advance!

Tyler

Sponsored Links

JC Tile
09-23-2009, 03:40 PM
I've never used liquid nails for a backplash, but i know they sell stuff to install marble and granite countertops.

As long as the backsplash isn't going to come in a lot of contact with water you can get away with mastic. If not, you cant go wrong with thinset.

Wait around a little bit and maybe someone has experience with liquid nails and tile.

good luck

ddmoit
09-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Hi Tyler,:)

I would use mastic for ceramic tile on a back splash before I ever tried Liquid Nails.

Mastic costs more than thinset, but there is no chance of mixing it wrong, you can work at your own comfortable pace, and start and stop as you please.

Mastic is a good DIYer choice for a back splash - unless you are using glass or some natural stones which may be harmed by some of the ingredients in mastic.

Trask
09-23-2009, 04:09 PM
I have a builder that does his own splashes with tile when we do slab tops and he has had a couple of bleed through issues on light stones..I really don't see the compelling reason to use anything but thinset. Mastic I suppose is nice in dry splashes but Thinset is so simple i would second the idea that "you can't go wrong with it"

cx
09-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Third. :)

Deckert
09-23-2009, 04:20 PM
For the price of mastic or liquid nails you can buy the appropriate amount of thinset and beer to finish your backsplash. So using thinset=free beer. I don't understand the dilema.

tmartin
09-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Oooooops.....madea mistake its actuallytravertine...what type of thinset should I purchase?

ddmoit
09-23-2009, 04:37 PM
VersaBond is a good all around choice if you have a Home Depot nearby.

tmartin
09-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Any brands at Lowes?

rwcarpenter
09-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Lowes

mapei ultraflex or
mapei ultraflex 2 or
laticrete 253 gold or
laticrete multipurpose or
laticrete megabond (use the latex additive with megabond, all the others only need water)

tmartin
09-23-2009, 11:06 PM
Thanks for all the help guys! 5 hours later I'm finished...and ithink it turned out great!

Trask
09-24-2009, 12:07 AM
:tup2: You did the right thing Tyler:tup2:

REF
10-15-2009, 06:11 AM
I've used Liquid Nails a few times now and it works out great. Fast and easy. No mess. Sets quick and holds like rock.