Question: Which Tile Saw? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Question: Which Tile Saw?

1BadBoy
09-01-2009, 05:28 PM
I am looking at purchasing a Felker tile saw. The 2 I am learning about are the TM-75 and the FTS-150. This is for a new house my wife and I will be building. We will be doing the tiling in several areas: entry way (8' x 8'), kitchen (11' x 8'), powder room (4.5' x 8') and a master bathroom (about a 16' walkway 3.5' wide).

I am looking to pick up a tile saw (new most likely). We don't have any tile picked out right now, so I don't know the potential sizes. We may lay them on point for looks, but that's not certain either. Though we will at least have some type of pattern in it that would be on point if the rest of the tiles are not that way.

Can anyone give me the pros and cons of the TM-75 versus the FPS-150? I know the FTS-150 is more money, but I am looking at it as a good investment. Plus I could always sell it afterward. If we decide on the TM-75, is it worthwhile to purchase the separate stand?

One other item is we may add some decorative pavers for a pathway and/or pad downstairs. I don't know if we would need to cut any, but I seem to recall reading that some tile machines can cut pavers as well.

Any advice on which tile cutter might make sense for my needs? I'm completely green when it comes to tiling and cutters.

Thanks,
Dave

Sponsored Links

cx
09-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Welcome, Dave. :)

First thing you should try is typing TM75 into the Advanced Search feature and ask for Titles Only. That'll get you a dozen or so threads about exactly what you're asking.

Then do the same with the FTS150.

Should make you a lot more knowledgeable about the subject. :)

1BadBoy
09-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Thanks! I'll do that!

Brian in San Diego
09-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Dave,

The size of the rooms almost has nothing to do with selecting a tile saw IMO. The important thing is what size tiles you plan on using and if are you planning on cutting them on the diagonal. I wouldn't want a saw that only had a cutting design of 14" if I wanted to cut 12x12s on the diagonal. You might want to peruse in the Pro's Hangout. There have been lots of discussions on some saws you haven't mentioned like the DeWalt and Rigid models.

Brian