Black Toros Marble [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Black Toros Marble

Synn
08-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi Newbie here ..Hope this is not in the wrong forum !! Im Using Black Toros Marble ..On Floor will be a 12"x12" tile Concrete sub floor ! On Walls will also be a 12x12 on cement backer board with kerdi...also a 2"x2" marble tile on a Schluter shower tray ....Im going to use Flexbond thin set for cement board seams and applying kerdi and Flexbond white for marble ...Any forseeable issues using this type of marble in Bathroom application thanks ...Will these tiles Curl ?

Hear so much makes me Nervous ....

Thanks

Lee

Sponsored Links

cx
08-30-2009, 11:54 AM
Welcome, Lee. :)

Flexbond is not an appropriate mortar for installing any Schluter membrane over any substrate you appear to have, according to Schluter. You can use it if you want, of course.

Schluter has a very informative website (http://www.schluter.com/) that it might serve you well to peruse a bit to familiarize yourownself with some of their requiements.

And for your first Kerdi shower, I'd sure recommend you buy and download John Bridge's Kerdi Shower eBook here on the site. Best ten-dollar Kerdi tool on the market. :)

My opinion; worth price charged.

Tool Guy - Kg
08-30-2009, 11:58 AM
No need to worry about curling with this black tile. But is your marble polished...or not?

The proper thinset for installing your Kerdi over the cement board is an unmodified thinset. Flexbond is a very good mortar, but it's not the proper material to install Kerdi with because it's modified...quite heavily. And while VersaBond has been used regularly by many pros on this forum, it is no where near as modified at the Flexbond...and you may or may not realize that using any modified (VersaBond included) will void your Schluter warranty. If the warranty is important to you, then you need to stick to an unmodifed, high quality thinset like DitraSet, or Mapei's Kerabond, or Tec's Full Set Plus, or Laticrete's 317.

One quickie...you mentioned white thinset...are you intending to use this on the same Black Toros marble? :)

Synn
09-01-2009, 08:14 PM
WOW Unaware Thanks ! I was told By Self Proclaiming Pro's That FlexBond was God .....Cant believe Anyone these days ....I thank you for that info !

As for the Black Toros Marble it is UnPolished And yes I was going to use Marble & Granite Fortified Premium Mortar Yes White ..Should I use something else ? A Brand ?

Oh Does Home depot sell a Thinset for the Kerdi A Brand Please ...And What about the Marble on the Kerdi whats Best

Thanks So Much

WHich Versabond for Kerdi on cement board

Tool Guy - Kg
09-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Use gray instead of the white. White is great when using on lighter colored stones or light grout where a tiny speck of the setting mortar in the grout joint doesn't show through as a dark grey blob so easy.

If you're not concerned about retaining your warranty from Schluter, use VersaBond.

If you want to retain the warranty, use a high quality unmodified thinset like:
DitraSet
Mapei's Kerabond (mixed with water)
Tec's Full Set Plus
Latecrete's 317

:)

cx
09-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Home Depot does not sell a useful un-modified thinset mortar in my opinion, Lee. They sell only one brand, that being Custom Building Products, and Custom makes only one un-modified product.

But Custom makes other useful thinset mortars, one of which is VersaBond. It's modified, but works well with Schluter's membranes. Herr Schluter pewts his hands over his ears any time that's mentioned, though. We worry about Herr Schluter at times. :)

Synn
09-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Cx IS there more than One Versabond type ?for the Kerdi and What thinset would one use to stick the Marble to the Kerdi Prorected cementboard

WOw You Guys are Fast

Lee

Davestone
09-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Versabond is a modified thinset and can be used to stick to plywood or whatever.There is another slightly cheaper modified thinset HD sells, i use it a lot and like the body of it masterblend i think is the name,but not sure.If a slight modified thinset is needed,like over Ditra,and isn't recommended over plywood.

Drummz
09-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Lowe's carries Laticrete brand products but I am not sure if they carry the Laticrete 317 like Tool Guy is recommending.

If you have a Menard's anywhere near should carry the Mapei / Kerabond.

cx
09-01-2009, 09:22 PM
There is another slightly cheaper modified thinset HD sells, i use it a lot and like the body of it masterblend i think is the name,but not sure.Might wanna check your local store on that, Stoner. MasterBlend was one of the un-modifieds Custom usta make but they don't make some any more. 'Least they say the don't. And my Homer's thinks they don't.

Be curious to see if they actually have it somewhere.

Davestone
09-01-2009, 09:23 PM
It's called something blend but i can't remember,i use it regularly and says modified but not for plywood,maybe it's just local i dunno.:bow:I'll look tomorrow.

Synn
09-02-2009, 08:15 AM
Is there More than one type of Versabond ! Or a Id code for the Versabond for the Kerdi !? My Home depot or the couple around me Suck for knowledge

Thanks

Lee

cx
09-02-2009, 08:19 AM
Gonna say Versabond onna bag, Lee. I've heard of a Versabond something, flex or some such, but I ain't never seen it inna Homer's. Versabond gray, or Versabond white. Will say it meets A118.4 and A118.11 onna bag, too.

Davestone
09-02-2009, 04:52 PM
The one i use is called multiset,says it's modified but needs more latex to adhere to plywood.

cx
09-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Yeah, MasterBlend, Multiset, whatever. Sound about the same. Could see how a fella might git confused, Stoner. :D

I've never seen the Multiset in our Homer's. Nor anywhere else, for that matter. Got no eye-dee where that fits in Custom's lineup. :shrug:

Synn
09-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Ok Guys Thanks For the Tips on the Kerdi !!! First wall was a Learning Curve ! But got it on nice ...The Rest was Even easier Had to tweak the Thinset to a Better PanCake Batter.....CX Thanks for the VersaBond Worked well ...Now stage 2 ........... 12"x12" Black Toro Marble ..Its Natural not Polished going on walls Do the Pro's Have any tricks or Types of thinset to apply this to the Kerdi..any Additives Maybe ? Shower Ceiling will also be 12x12" going on Blueboard anything Special for that ? Will thinset for Mable hold it up ok ..Im thinkimg I have to Brace them ? Do I ?

Thanks For the Help

Damn Glad I found this Place and yes I got around to buying John's Book..

Synn
09-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Can I Bump this to the TOP ? Not sure if I could

Synn
09-23-2009, 09:19 PM
To The Top

cx
09-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Not sure why you're getting no response here, Lee.

I'm not a stone guy, but I see nothing special about that marble. Same Versabond should work just as well as it did for installing the Kerdi, far as I'm concerned.

Ceilings are no different than any other surface except you want to be sure you get 100 percent coverage on each stone. Burn thinset into the surface of both the ceiling and the tile first. Tiles will stay up there just fine if you've mixed and applied your thinset properly. Done alla time.

Dave Taylor
09-24-2009, 03:47 AM
Your Kerdi work looks good, Lee.

Give us a pic when you get some of that marble installed..... it looks nice too.

Synn
09-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Messed Up I think !!! 12x12 Marble over Primed BlueBoard ...In Dry area of bathroom had finished Mudding The new BlueBoard Then had a Brainfart and thought I should Prime the Mud Joints and got carried away ...This is Latex Primer ...What Now ? And should I be using a Mastic or Thinset over the blueboard for this ?

If a Thinset What type over the primed Blueboard

Sorry Guys Stuck here

And Thanks

The latex Primer is by " Sherwin Williams ...Called Cover-Max "

muskymike
09-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Hi Lee, you can use a white modified thinset. :)

Synn
09-28-2009, 07:27 AM
Thanks Mike ! So on Blueboard drywall that has latex primer on it it will be fine !!!!!!!! for the 12" marble ...Any suggestions on Best Thinset ..Meaning Name Brand

Thanks

So many Views No other input from the Pro's

cx
09-28-2009, 07:36 AM
Lee, please keep all the project questions here until you leave this room, eh? Helps folks to see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. :)

The same VersaBond you been using should work fine over the primed walls.

Synn
09-28-2009, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the Info and Move CX !!!!!!!!!!! Always a Pleasure !

Synn
10-08-2009, 01:14 AM
Marble now up !! Was alittle SLow For me I try to do things as best as I can...
The Advice from here and Instruction is Second to None ...Thanks Ceiling 12x12 tiles went on Great thanks for the Fart Sounds trick...But I still supported them after I had them up ...I was alittle Nervous ...Versabond Mixed Right makes a difference

Lee

Synn
10-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Tiles sealed Pics ready for Grout ...ANy suggestions In a good quality Black sanded grout thanks

Lee

Oops need to resize pics

Davestone
10-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Unsanded would be better if you ever want to rehone the marble,which i think you will,seeing as its a honed black.:bow:

Synn
10-11-2009, 04:13 PM
WHat Is Honed Dave Can you explain ~~~~~ SO my Natural Tumbeled Marble is Honed already thought it was just tumbeled Marble

Sorry for not knowing

Synn
10-11-2009, 04:17 PM
ANother pic

Synn
10-11-2009, 05:51 PM
Ok found this ..Is this right ...But still what would rehoning actually do ? Thanks

Using the images below we have tried to give a representation of the difference between a honed finish and a polished finish. The stone is identical, it's just the finish that differs.

The stone on the left hand side has been honed, this means it is ground flat by a mechanical process and left with a matt/satin finish - if it were paint it would be described as eggshell.

The stone on the right has been honed and then polished, it is machined for a longer period of time using finer abrasives until the surface is highly shiney and reflective. - if it were a paint it would be described as high gloss.

Any of the stones shown on this site are available honed or polished, but some of the stones take a polish better than others. Please feel to ask us for advice when you are deciding which stone and finish you would like.

There is no difference in price for a honed or polished finish on the plain stone tiles. There is a slight increase in price if you require polished border tiles, as these are shaped they have to be polished by hand which is more time consuming.

Synn
10-12-2009, 02:18 PM
WHy unsanded grout? I was told before to use Grout with Sand for this Marble ...Spacing is 1\8 WHat do you guys think ?

Synn
11-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Almost Done ..Just waiting on 2 Cabinet doors to match Vanity and Shower Glass.....Nov.2 09........There busy here in Toronto ...All in all Im Very Happy with the way the Kerdi system worked walls and Drain kit and Shower Pan...I also Bought a Kerdi Curb but did Not install it ...Glass guys wanted to install and drill 2 brackets in threshold and i did not feel comfortable with them being drilled through Granite and into Styrofoam curb...So did a solid wood then cementboard and kerdi before granite laid on 2 sides and top...I Thank you guys for all the Help ..Im good with my hands and cautious ..But lacked the direction I got here thanks

Lee

Synn
11-01-2009, 09:16 PM
couple more

Synn
11-06-2009, 09:11 PM
With Frameless Shower Doors .....Almost Just a Few more Finishing touchs

Sorry about the Pics Im Not the Best when it comes to Pics

Davestone
11-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Looks nice, but be warned that stone may be verrrry hard to keep clean.

Synn
11-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Thanks Dave !!!!! What exactly should I be doing ? Proper Up Keep ?
And What Should I be Doing After Showers ...Would Travertine be the Same for Next Big bathroom

Thanks In Advance

Lee

Davestone
11-06-2009, 09:36 PM
My experience with black marble in showrs is they tend to get very bad quickly.Soaps and minerals in the water tend to stain and hang onto the stone and show.An impregnating sealer,maybe even r91 from Cathedral stone products to insulate the stone from moisture would even be better.And wiping the shower off not letting the water stay on the stone would be good.Liquid neutral color soap would help also.

ob1kanobee
11-06-2009, 09:43 PM
You don't plan on using that shower do you? Just kidding............

Looks great!

Use a good sealer like Dave said. I like "Stain Proof" by "Dry Treat" myself.

Davestone
11-06-2009, 09:44 PM
I've never used that,do you have to be a member or something to get it?

Synn
11-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks Ben And Dave

First Attempt Turned out good with Help from the Forum ..Dave I dont See R 91 on web site ,,,They have a R 97 Water based ..Could they have Changed it ...At the moment the Marble has Stonetech Enhancer Sealer I think

Davestone
11-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Nope that's the one,my mistake.Oh it's already sealed? Well the nano technology r97 may still penetrate that but i can't guarantee it.

Synn
11-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Ill Try Anything Dave ....To Try and Keep it that way ....The Heads-Up always Helps ...Did not know about a Neutral Soap ...Learning something new
:stirpot:

Synn
11-09-2009, 05:32 AM
New Mirrors Final Touches