Tile over Tile in Shower - Problem [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tile over Tile in Shower - Problem

Rebecca4400
08-25-2009, 11:26 AM
Hi - this is my first post and I'm hoping to gain some insight from the folks in this forum. I purchased my home two years ago and the baths were completely remodeled about a year earlier by the former owner. The master shower has 4" glazed ceramic tile on the walls, floor and ceiling. My problem is the tiling on the shower lip/step (?). For some reason, the installer put tile upon tile in this area - both layers are brand new tile, not new over old. Why would this be done? I've never seen an application like this in earlier homes and don't understand the logic. Recently, several of these outer tiles began coming off - that's how I know the tile underneath is identical. I'm concerned about water damage that I can't see and am wondering how best to repair the shower tiles? I already had one tile "professional" (anything but!) repair this area only to have the same exact problem a month later! Any ideas as to what the underlying issue might be and is it something that I could fix myself? I'm concerned that the other tiles in this row might have a problem as well that just hasn't appeared yet. I suspect that the original installer did not do a great job or was inexperienced in tile over tile. I'd be most grateful for any assistance offered. Thanks! Rebecca

Sponsored Links

rktect
08-25-2009, 12:41 PM
My guess the curb was a fraction of an inch too short, after the "original" reno . . . an inspector, nicked it, and the contractor "overlaid" the tile to get the right height . . .

Just a thought . . .

scuttlebuttrp
08-25-2009, 02:54 PM
They stuck tile to the face of tile? Maybe they wanted the curb to be thicker for aesthetics. Marble sill on top. Curb overhangs too much, more tile to fill it out?
What did they use to stick the tile? Thinset? Glue? Liquid nail?
To figure out your issue you would have to go into the curb some to diagnose the issue.

ceramictec
08-25-2009, 03:23 PM
I will agree with the others and say he built it out more with another layer of tile.