Kerdi Questions [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Kerdi Questions

jdaniels
08-20-2009, 03:06 PM
I have had a lot of problems with the seams being too high when installing Kerdi on shower wall seams and corners. What is the best way to "feather" out the seams? I understand that thinset can be feathered like drywall joint compound. Any suggestions or tips? I have considered gluing the seams with shower pan liner cement but I have not tried it.

Sponsored Links

ceramictec
08-20-2009, 03:46 PM
I would advise you to forget the idea of gluing the Kerdi seams with pan liner cement.

Schluter designed Kerdi to be used with a un modified thinset and working
the seams with a 2" overlap is the way they recommend.

using a 1/4" x 3/16" trowel is also recommended for the right thickness of thinset.

also the right consistency of the thinset will help greatly in achieving a thin build up at the seams and corners.

johntrent
08-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Brian is right - forget the glue. Consistency & correct amount of thin set is key to keeping a tight seam. You shouldn't be leaving much thin set in the seam but you shouldn't squeeze it all out either. If your seam does get a little high for you - you can always float off the high spot using thin set & a straight edge such as a trowel, level or even a straight pc of scrape wood back down to the elevation you need.

jadnashua
08-20-2009, 05:33 PM
There are two ways to get the required overlap: just overlap the Kerdi sheet, or butt the edges and use a band of Kerdi-band over it. The Kerdi-band is thinner, and the buildup is less.

cx
08-20-2009, 05:54 PM
Welcome, Jake. :)

Sure don't recommend deviating that far from any manufacturer's installation instructions. And in this case, I'd be really surprised if it worked at all.

Use a good-quality dry-set mortar and you'll find that with just a little practice you can make some really tight seems. One that you can easily tile over even with mosaic tiles.

I favor Jim's (jadnashua) suggestion about using the Kerdi Band whenever possible. And the pre-formed corners. Costs a little more, but I find it easier to make it easier on myownself come time to set tile. :shades:

My opinion; worth price charged.