Why grout before caulking? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Why grout before caulking?

jfranch
08-18-2009, 01:09 PM
I am about to embark on my first tiling project and have been gathering a lot of great advice from this forum. I have what I suspect is a deceptively simple question:scratch::

Why grout before caulking? It seems to me that it would be much less difficult to caulk first and then grout. This way you don't have to worry about grout getting into the joints you want to caulk and any grout that gets on the dried caulk can easily be wiped away.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
08-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Welcome aboard, Joe. :)

Either way. You just have to make sure one is completely dry before applying the other.

jfranch
08-18-2009, 03:37 PM
John,

Thanks. I was hoping that was the case and I wasn't missing something.

james d
08-18-2009, 03:55 PM
I think people will do it grout first because you can usually control caulking a lot better and usually it is in transitions.and you can complete them both the same day usually in my case, but then again im an older washed up tile setter.
Caulking first you would have to wait another day

nyctilerookie
08-18-2009, 04:00 PM
grout dries quicker .If you get grout on caulking after it may stain if using clear caulking

jfranch
08-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Understood. My wife pays me the same whether I finish the job in 2 days 3.

james d
08-18-2009, 04:13 PM
Well in that case you may want to caulk first then when it is dry grout over the caulk joint and wash it out but not completely because it will flex a bit. Usually
caulkings are a shade off of the grout because of water methods,washing etc,that is if you are using color caulking.If I could have it my way I would grout
Everything but expansion/contraction will not let that happen.My methods might be a little old since I am a retired Tile setter just part time now.Very part time