24x24 crema marfil install [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : 24x24 crema marfil install

palmbeachmarble
08-15-2009, 10:40 AM
i currently working on a 3k ft job crema marfil 24x24 3/4 depth ive got 3 different sizes depending on what pallet the stone comes from one pallet is a totally different shade.......a lot of the marble is bowed making it really hard to make it look like one giant piece of marble ( zero grout lines) gotta love it :)

Sponsored Links

Muddman
08-15-2009, 11:30 AM
Are you a sub or working directly with the owner? Are you supplying the tile, or did they? If they supplied it I would point these things out to the owner/GC before you laid any of them. Make sure they understand the limitations of your install based on the quality of the tile.

You can always trim the bigger tile down, but bowing in not fixable.

John Bridge
08-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Hi Palm Beach,

Please give us a first name.

Crema Marfil is bad all the time, but yours sounds really terrible. Give us a few more particulars. :)

palmbeachmarble
08-16-2009, 11:39 AM
hi my name is nick im the contractor on the job and i got the go ahead today from the homeowner to continue.....so thats good news i have enough experience to lay this marble with minimum faults.yes theres giong to be a wee bit of stair stepping which i will hide in less obvious areas,,,,,,it is what it is but the job looks great so far with 600ft down........by the way im implementing the proper instal methods with this marble which is a thick layer of mud sandwidged inbetween layers of thinset for a perfectly level floor.....its the only way to install this stuff

ob1kanobee
08-16-2009, 01:30 PM
From now on any jobs done with Crema Marfil will have a seppaerate disclaimer as part of the proposal in addition to the one already at the bottom of the proposal regarding natural stone inherent characteristics.

I wouldn't but joint joint stone under any circumstances because it will always stair step, the grout needs an anchor and it goes against written industry standards including those of the Marble Institute of America.

palmbeachmarble
08-16-2009, 03:01 PM
people in the palm beach area including all of south florida dont want grout joints..........the marble must be installed butted up tight...the grout does hold!

ceramictec
08-16-2009, 03:45 PM
more dumb Floridians....you as the professional need to tell them that tile/marble needs the smallest of grout joints.

only way to make that floor look good it to grind and polish it flat to lose the problems.

ive got 3 different sizes depending on what pallet the stone comes from one pallet is a totally different shade.yes theres giong to be a wee bit of stair stepping which i will hide in less obvious areassound fun and like some really cheap marble.

I wouldn't but joint joint stone under any circumstances because it will always stair step, the grout needs an anchor and it goes against written industry standards including those of the Marble Institute of America.South Florida isnt part of the US so they arent governed by
rules US groups like MIA or TCNA set :D

Aquera
08-16-2009, 03:54 PM
only way to make that floor look good it to grind and polish it flat to lose the problems.

this is something I know very little about (hardly any marble/granite is done around here, not sure why)

how can this be done? any draw backs?

Davestone
08-16-2009, 04:02 PM
It takes years of practice,and thousands of dollars of equipment, but googe it up and you can watch videos of it.

ceramictec
08-16-2009, 04:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2srSUY7z2U

Aquera
08-16-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm guessing only a small percentage of tile setters have stone floor grinding/polishing gear..

Scottish Tile and Stone
08-16-2009, 04:54 PM
I think these were 24's I set awhile back.. Very small grout joint.