couple questions and opinions [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : couple questions and opinions

tilelayer
07-15-2009, 08:00 PM
What are the ridges or random patterns called on the back of a ceramic or porcelain tile?

When hiring, can you hire a greenhorn and make him a helper and not an apprentice. Does it work out? Yes or No?

Sponsored Links

ceramictec
07-15-2009, 08:16 PM
chicken, fire, rock ? :scratch:

tilelayer
07-15-2009, 08:18 PM
what?!?

ob1kanobee
07-15-2009, 08:35 PM
I just looked through the "Italian Ceramic Tile Dictionary" and found a couple of terms but no over all term for the back of a tile, just distinguishing terms.

You could email them at info@ceramictiles.it if you really want to know and if there is such a term or word to that relates what the back of a tile is called.

Your second question is kind of odd.

Why would you want to hire a guy with no ambition to learn?

Now I will tell you I had my brother-in-law work for me as a helper way back for about 3 years straight. He never learned how to set tile or do lay out. He could do everything else (well he couldn't caulk to save his life) but never learned how to set a piece of tile nor do I think he wanted to.

I think he may have asked me a dozen questions in 3 years about why I was doing this or that lol.

Here is the website, you have to click on the tiny lettering that says English Version: www.assopiastrelle.it

gueuzeman
07-15-2009, 08:43 PM
rock, chicken, fire.

gueuze

Kilauea
07-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Wassup (DER)Rick:shades:,long time no talk.Well...

When hiring, can you hire a greenhorn and make him a helper and not an apprentice. Does it work out? Yes or No?

Man,some guys just pick it up faster than others.I think it really depends on who youre dealing with and also,how they deal w/you.I think its better to get a fresh sponge rather than someone that has helped someone else do tile.Thats the last thing you need is someone w/some prefixed idea conflicting w/yours.But I dunno.Im really not sure what your really asking/meaning--please elaborate(explain better).

tilelayer
07-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Train an apprentice and then they think they are great and they leave you its inevitable. You keep em a helper but you pay them well to help you and maybe they stick around. I know unions have men that are only helpers and are happy. I know some guys who would rather grout then lay tile.

tilelayer
07-15-2009, 08:53 PM
I guess it takes time to learn too and your always teaching someone. I don't know where I'm going with this to be honest with you. Just wondering, you get a helper hes good at it, hes gonna make you money. Train a really good helper and keep him happy. Just wondering if its been done.

Old World Tile and Marble
07-15-2009, 09:02 PM
? 1 answer is clearly gallo fuoco roccia

?2 answer is dont bother grasshopper and get your self a couple of these

Kilauea
07-15-2009, 09:03 PM
Train an apprentice and then they think they are great and they leave you its inevitable. You keep em a helper but you pay them well to help you and maybe they stick around. I know unions have men that are only helpers and are happy. I know some guys who would rather grout then lay tile.

You just gotta get someone that is down.I know exactly what you mean by union helpers.I know some guys that have been helpers for 10 years +,and its all G.Some guys would just rather be on the back burner.The pay is(Hawaii)helper 22.10 and journeyman 27.somethin(well back in 01),which isnt that big a difference considering the responsabilities.We started a big hotel job in 99 and I was a helper,had 2 uncles that were journeyman and worked w/an apprentice named Jeremy(along w/about 30 others).He got real involved in the "politics" got his hours in and classes every sat. now he's a foreman and tells one of my uncles what to do in Kauai!!!Everybodies different man...

07-15-2009, 09:04 PM
rick keep in mind a union helpers total package pay is around 38 dollars an hour in my area.................if i had to do it over id spread colored sand as well

Kilauea
07-15-2009, 09:17 PM
2 answer is dont bother grasshopper and get your self a couple of these

Yeah sure,I bet Mr.Elmo could hold the spacers pretty good,but burnin 2''?Pullin the chalk/inkline?Grasshoppers dont grid,and you cant grid alone,I mean its possible but c'mon!!.....:smash:

ceramictec
07-15-2009, 09:21 PM
? 1 answer is clearly gallo fuoco roccianon il gallo, il pollo :D

gueuzeman
07-15-2009, 09:24 PM
L.T., I think Elmo's a spacer guy. :yo:

Colored sand-
http://img2.allposters.com/images/DANPOD/US11JWL0081-FB.jpg

Introducing the new Laticrete Permacolor Bhuddist series, available only in southeast Asia.

Bur seriously, most who are good helpers, who have the passion, will be setters someday. Very few good helpers stay helpers, not all become great mechanics, but.....

I've known only 2 great helpers that just wanted to be helpers, both retired now.

gueuze

Kilauea
07-15-2009, 09:28 PM
gueuze -master tilesetter,artist/artisan,and comedian:bow:

raiders510
07-15-2009, 09:32 PM
I thought the ridges in the back of the tile were called lugs?

tilelayer
07-15-2009, 09:35 PM
lugs are the spacers on the sides, they make tiles stackable. This is the pattern on the back of the tile I am talking about, I know it has a term.

07-15-2009, 09:36 PM
honetstly no spacers on floors and no grid...............still like me gueuze?

07-15-2009, 09:37 PM
rick some old tile still around but knida uncommon had lugs small circles usually a few inches apart about 1/4 inch thick.....called lugs...mostly walls

Chad Deiter Construction
07-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Just curious ,, But why you trying to find this out ? Did someone ask you ?

tilelayer
07-15-2009, 09:50 PM
See? no one knows the answer. Curiousity

ob1kanobee
07-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Button-back = Small, button-like protrusions on the back of ceramic tile

Flat -back tiles = Tiles without buttons on the back

Lug says see Spacer lug = Spacer lug = Built-in protrusion on the side of a ceramic tile as a spacer (funny, I always called them tits)

All information taken from the "Italian Ceramic Tile Dictionary" :yo:

Happy now?

Kilauea
07-15-2009, 09:54 PM
around but knida uncommon

OK *NEW TOPIC* what does it mean?:uhh:

irish tileguy in michigan
07-15-2009, 09:58 PM
rick some old tile still around but knida uncommon had lugs small circles usually a few inches apart about 1/4 inch thick.....called lugs...mostly walls

Used to lay alot of lug backed tile back in Ireland.

Back home we called the back of tiles " the mold" as in what type of mold is on the back of that tile.

07-15-2009, 10:06 PM
dont tell richie hell picket my jobs......
or rick he thinks i hate sigmas.......
or the man in the photo cause hell demand 20 dollars an hour more because he thinks hes an internet celebrity.....
or the homeowner that thinks there the first one to use the shower

ob1kanobee
07-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Hey, I found the dictionary for all you bowdarkskulls!

http://www.italytile.com/lexicon_ceramic_tile_industry.php