Split Brick grout [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Split Brick grout

Bama49
06-09-2009, 08:48 AM
I am having split brick layed in my kitchen. We saw a kitchen with split brick and the grout color was beige. The floor man says grey grout is always used because when using colored grout it has to be a mortor mix with sand and sometimes when you seal it it blotches. Our friends looks great. Is there a way to avoid the blotching in the mortor grout.

Sponsored Links

Lazarus
06-09-2009, 09:08 AM
I don't see any reason why you can't use the colour you want. Recently did a kitchen with "Chicago" split brick...used an enhancer on it, then grouted and re-sealed. Shading issues generally have more to do with proper grout technique, not over-watering during the clean-up, etc. I generally mix the grout with distilled water as mineral content can vary and cause splotching.

Some of the newer-technology grouts may be a good way for you to go.

HS345
06-09-2009, 09:11 AM
I agree with what Laz said.

Not sure what a "mortar grout" is. But you can get a sanded grout in just about any color of the rainbow.

Bama49
06-09-2009, 03:17 PM
I was told that sand and cenent had to be mixed in order to make the grout. This is what I meant by mortor grout. Do you have a name for the sanded grout your spoke of?

HS345
06-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Yep, it's called sanded grout.:p

Every manufacturer of grout makes it, it is usually intended for grout joints 1/8" to 1/2" wide.

Here is Laticrete's version: Laticrete 1500 (http://www.laticrete.com/Contractors/Products/Grouts/CementitiousGrouts/tabid/1784/Default.aspx)

What application are you using the split brick for? Can you post a picture?