How do you float a wall? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : How do you float a wall?

Aquera
05-03-2009, 04:04 PM
If someone can give me a start to finish explanation that'd be great - or point me at a previous post if applicable - basically I'd like to know the best way to do it, all I've ever done thus far is fill in low spots... please include what materials you'd use if lets say the wall is an inch or more out.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links

Crestone Tile
05-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Do search for the "mud course" thread .... good info.

Materials and approach are different for different situations. For instance, I scratch coat mine over open studs while it seems that many here do a one coat method.

scuttlebuttrp
05-03-2009, 05:22 PM
I forget where it starts but Hamilton has a nice pictorial in this thread somewhere.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3579&highlight=mud

tilelayer
05-03-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm still learning how to mud walls! Go call some shops and apprectice for a mud guy.

Hmm some tips are pack your walls out so you can use surface bullnose instead of mud caps, learn how to work a hawk and trowel. I hope you like mud on your shoes.

gueuzeman
05-03-2009, 06:46 PM
How to mud a wall? Pay a pro.

gueuze- amateur

Hamilton
05-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Page 32 post 473. Come down to cali. Buy me a crap load of beer, mock up
materials.... maybe show me where to find some gold in the hills and I'll show
ya every thing I know:yo: http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3579&highlight=mud&page=32

gueuzeman
05-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Demo night at the Stone Brewing \co. in northern San \diego county.

I'm in!!

gueuze- arrogant bastard

tilelayer
05-03-2009, 07:52 PM
i wanna come out and see you float in 2 hours

Hamilton
05-03-2009, 07:56 PM
My neighbors brother was just there a couple nights ago Gueze. I've never
been myself but he said it was the sickest pub he had ever been in including
trips to vegas and other places. What gives? Do report back:cheers:

tilelayer
05-03-2009, 08:12 PM
If your familiar with mud for curbs then your familiar with wall mud, but I don't use the premixed stuff in a bag I mix all from scratch, Full bag of lime full bag of portland and 30-32 shovels of sand in my mix. You can't expect to mix up mud and be a pro off the back, first off your mix has to be right too little lime and it falls off the walls not enough cement its too lean too much cement its too rich and cracks the next day along with too much lime. Too much water its runny and you can't transfer it from your hawk to trowel easily. too little water and its a bear to work with. With mud walls honestly nothing beats experience. I started by pulling the strips and filling them with a margin and rubbing them out with a block and that was tricky at first but after watching the boss do it so many times i bid a mud job and did it. The trickiest part is to set your strips plumb and on the same plane.

Good luck though and I wish you the best.

gueuzeman
05-03-2009, 08:14 PM
You live in the neighborhood- drink local product, it's good for your local economy. And their beers rock!! I don't drink too much of their stuff anymore as I'm trying to keep most of my beer purchases here in New York. Bur I'm not sacrificing much, good stuff here too!

Now drinking- Ommegang 3 Philosophers.

http://www.ommegang.com/index.php?mcat=1&scat=4&yr=1

gueuze

Hamilton
05-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Well hell. From your post I assumed you were in town and gonna be hangin
out there. Heck you coulda come by here and had homemade tacos with us:clap2: Maybe next time:D

Crestone Tile
05-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Stone is awesome.

Matt- not drinking local ... Ommegang Witte (hey, you gotta keep the local purveyors happy too)

Hamilton
05-03-2009, 08:24 PM
My offer still stands. If you want to learn mud buy me a crap load of beer
and some material I'll show ya what I know. You gotta come here for the
beer offer though. If you want me to come to you its gonna get complicated;)

gueuzeman
05-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Beer and tacos, tempting offer. With others to visit in Long Beach and Laguns Beach, it's only tough to convince gueuzewife to stay home with the kids while I go "study" with you.

I slept (badly) once on a terrazzo staircase in Brussels once because my friend forgot to leave the key under the doormat.

gueuze- pining for a travel study vacation.

Hamilton
05-03-2009, 09:27 PM
I slept (badly) once on a terrazzo staircase in Brussels once
I slept badly onna garage floor for a while when I was homeless as a late teen. Yup, been there. A buddy let me crash in his garage next to his gas smellin
lawn mower for a spell.m The 80's... good times bad times lmao.