Look What I Just Saw [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Look What I Just Saw

tilemanct
02-16-2009, 11:39 AM
This was a job that I had to go look at. New construction. Green board installed. Notice the heating and A/C duct in the shower!! Thats not Photoshop! The floor outside the shower is stone mosaic 12 x 12 tiles installed right on the 3/4" subfloor. This is whats happening out there right now. It's a mess. The homeowner called to get a 2nd opinion. Needless to say they have fired the builder. I guess Christmas came early this year!

Sponsored Links

java
02-16-2009, 11:42 AM
:eek:

cx
02-16-2009, 11:54 AM
You don't want peoples should have nice warm shower areas, Dave? Que cad! :shake:

ddmoit
02-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Well, that's a better idea than an outlet for a space heater.:bonk:

TileArt1
02-16-2009, 01:45 PM
I don't even know what to say to that. :scratch: Who the hell thinks that's all right????

cx
02-16-2009, 02:01 PM
Which part, Roger? :scratch:

The HVAC vent? Hell, I could make that work. I could even sell it as a feature.

I can't find fault with a little innovation. Once upon a time there weren't no indoor plumbing, right? What do you suppose was the reaction the first time somebody wanted to pewt the terlit inside? "You want we should do what in the house?"

Nope, no problem with that vent. :)

Now, the sheetrock and whatever else may or may not be unnerneath that tile? Yeah, I got problems with that. And the tile onna single-layer plywood floor. And prolly a number of other things. But not that vent. :shades:

C'mon, youins' bowdarkskulls hereabouts alla time clappin' y'all's hands together when somebody wants to pewt a TV inna shower, ain'tcha? Now that's worthy of maximum disdain! :D

Rd Tile
02-16-2009, 02:07 PM
I'm with Cx, little sillycone & a plastic vent cover with the louvers facing down, should be a nice feature.:tup2:

Hamilton
02-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Nuttin a little vinegar and water cant fix...aside from tearing it all out
and waterproofing it properly. Might get a year or two out of that shower
there.

TileArt1
02-16-2009, 02:40 PM
The HVAC vent? Hell, I could make that work. I could even sell it as a feature.Ok, point taken and I don't doubt for a second that you could not. :shades: Although something should have probably been said to the HO (I would think, anyway. Not exactly normal)

My disdain was for the (lack of) structural integrity of that particular bathroom. I'd pewt money on the odds that the bench is regular 2x4 covered with greenboard. :eek: Dave's on the case now so it should be all taken care of.

Whattsa matter with a tv inna shower? :D Gotta watch my cartoons somewhere.

cx
02-16-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm surprised at you, Richie. A plastic grille for my feature? Naaaa. :shake:

I was fixin' to have that fella we got on here (I disremember his name just now) what has that grat big ol' water-jet thingee cut me a nice grille outa a piece of the wall tile.

That boy alla time sayin' he'll give us the first piece for free as a sample of his talent, eh? Would make a fine and useful feature at an excellent price, non? :)

Mmmm, Roger? I'm opposed to havin' a TV in the house! :D

tilelayer
02-16-2009, 05:47 PM
i have tiled tub surrounds with air ducts in them but they were 6 ft high above the shower head on the 5 ft wall of the tub so......

Its a shame that shower floor looks like its pitched rather nicely too.

ceramictec
02-16-2009, 05:53 PM
love how they lined up the tile to the walls on the seat...lol

tilemanct
02-16-2009, 06:14 PM
The shower floor is the only thing they did that looks acepable. You just know the trouble lurking underneath with the pan. It's gonna get ugly.

butterblood
02-16-2009, 06:30 PM
I don't know how many times I've seen guys transition from one wall to the next with a diagonal layout and "mirror" the cuts instead of continuing with the cutoff piece. That drives me crazy to look at.

gueuzeman
02-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Why rip it apart now when you could wait a few years and have some nice moldy sheetrock to play with?

And did they call you in for a 2nd opinion because they were displeased with the aesthetics or did they think the methods were bad?

Yikes, yikes, and triple yikes! where is that recent thread "repair work in 2-5 years". Or sooner.

gueuze

Old World Tile and Marble
02-16-2009, 08:42 PM
you guys will like these

tilemanct
02-17-2009, 06:52 AM
Gueuze,
I guess this is one messed up project. The builder has been cutting corners just to get it done and get his money. He is in financial trouble. My buddy who is an electrician, has been doing some work for the homeowner direct and they asked him if he knew a tile guy. This one is going to drag out in the courts I believe, and I heard today that the homeowner's are looking to get out of their contract. I think they have a good case. I did learn that the homeowners put the bulk of the money into an escrow account and it does not get turned over to the builder until they get a C.O.

java
02-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Dave - I would be careful with this deal. If you "consult" on this job and it goes to court you could be called in to testify. So get paid somehow.

If the homeowners or builder ask you to remedy the situation make sure you get paid upfront or weekly. Don't let the checkbook get too far behind your work and get material bills paid daily.

ddclay
02-17-2009, 01:48 PM
I can just imagine what is/will be goin' on in the rest of the house. The builder should be tarred and feathered :suspect: :suspect: :suspect:

gueuzeman
02-17-2009, 06:17 PM
Dona- The builder should be tarred and feathered

Pacifist. :tongue: :D

gueuze

ddclay
02-17-2009, 06:49 PM
Pacifist.

no Gueuze, Atlantic.:rofl:

gueuzeman
02-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Touche'