Acrylic Caulk or Silicone [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Caulk or Silicone

moneymoe777
02-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Hey Guys

I am putting the finishing touches on my bathroom& I have a question. On the tub surround I left a 1/8 space at the base of the tub where the tile begins, I was wondering do I need to use the clear silicone or the gruout colored caulk or both to seal this joint.
I have attatched photos to show this joint

Sponsored Links

cx
02-08-2009, 08:36 PM
The industry standard is to use silicone. Many people prefer the color-matched caulks. Some of us argue against caulking there at all. :)

I see you have at least eight threads out there on what appears to be one bathroom project, Montrell. That makes it difficult for folks to help as they can't see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. Best to keep all your questions on a single project thread. Thanks. :)

My opinion; worth price charged.

Davy
02-08-2009, 08:42 PM
I usually grout the walls first, digging out any grout that gets in the bottom joint. After the grout sets, I caulk that bottom joint with matching caulk.:)

SlickrockJake
02-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Laticrete makes a great silicone caulk that matches it's grout colors. Just remember to mask off your joints with tape!

Tool Guy - Kg
02-08-2009, 10:05 PM
I would use a 100% silicone that matches the tile (or grout) where it meets the tub, as well as where the walls meet (change of planes and change of materials). Especially with that plastic tub that will move enough to crack most acrylic color matched caulks, you need the flexibility of 100% silicone.

If you don't have a good source, take a look at this company ColorRite that has 44 in-stock colors of 100% silicone (http://www.colorriteinc.com/colorsil.htm). It's called "ColorSil". If you give them the grout brand and color over the phone, they'll tell you what color silicone matches. It's not cheap....about $13ish a tube plus shipping. :)

ob1kanobee
02-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Acrylic for me because it is easier with water clean up.