Need Pro Tiler in Suburban Philadelphia [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Need Pro Tiler in Suburban Philadelphia

Khiori
02-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Greetings Tile Experts! (that makes you sound like aliens...)

Hello!

I have gotten 2 quotes on a tile job of $19 and $20 per square foot. These are from Tile/Flooring showrooms for their tile plus workmen. I would like to know if I should look further, perhaps buy the tile myself and hire a small contractor?

The job is 410 square feet: entry, powder room, kitchen. Powder room has small octagonal ceramic tile (sheet-type) on subfloor. Kitchen has 16" vinyl tiles over linoleum. The entry is a heavy ornate ceramic (6" or 8"?) floor that sits higher than the surrounding rooms. There are little oak 'ramps' down into the DR, LR and kitchen.

I would like all 3 floors removed and one continuous ceramic 16" laid.

My quotes are for ~450 square feet (they say +10% waste) and coming in around $9000. I searched your forum and saw a thread where someone said they would do a 400 square foot kitchen for $6000. So are my quotes high?

Thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links

cx
02-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Welcome, Khiori. :)

It's simply not reasonable to try to compare your $9000 bid for your installation with a $6000 bid for someone else's installation. You gotta do apples to apples if you're just price shopping.

Your bid may be quite reasonable, depending upon existing conditions and tile selection.

Your bid may be considerably high.

Your bid may be a bargain basement price.

Can't say. Ain't there. :shrug:

We're a DIY site. How come you don't wanna just do the whole thing yourownself and save a whole gaggle of dinero, guaranteed? :)

My opinion worth price charged.

Khiori
02-05-2009, 11:44 AM
I am a scientist, not a tiler. Would you like to do your own food safety microbiology? I wouldn't have a clue about cement or grout or anything. Not to mention I'd surely break a finger nail trying to get those tiles up! :) j/k

Seriously, the kitchen and powder room tile could both be easily removed. But I work from 8am to 6pm every day and don't exactly fancy peeling up tile when I get home. It would take me 6 months to do that! A small group of workmen could surely do it in under a week?

The entry tile is the difficult part (for the contractor, I'm NOT talking about ME doing it). But the bulk of the area is the kitchen.

So you don't advise checking out individual contractors? I should go with a big store?

cx
02-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Would you like to do your own food safety microbiology?I believe I do that several times a day on a regular basis, do I not? :)Seriously, the kitchen and powder room tile could both be easily removed. But I work from 8am to 6pm every day and don't exactly fancy peeling up tile when I get home. It would take me 6 months to do that! A small group of workmen could surely do it in under a week?I'd be dissapointed if it took a "small group of workmen" more than the first day.

So you don't advise checking out individual contractors? I should go with a big store? I would absolutely suggest you try to deal with an individual tile contractor rather than a large retail store.

If you'll give me a moderately specific geographic location, I'll be happy to change the title of this thread and move it to our Professionals' Hangout and see if anyone there might be interested in your project. I know we have a few regulars up yonder in Yankee Land, but we need to narrow it down closer than your state if we can. How 'bout a city or county?

My opinion; worth price charged.

duneslider
02-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Here is my take on going with big stores. I work for a few of them on occasion. Lets say they are paying me 5 bucks a foot to install the tile, the tile costs 3 bucks a foot and materials another 2 bucks a foot. That adds up to 10. They tack on another 10 bucks cause they got to make money to cover that big nice showroom.

If you call me direct, I come out give you a bid and don't have to pay the overhead of the big showroom.

In my area you never know who will be installing your tile if you go with the big places, it could be me or some guy who took a class at Home Depot and decided he was a tile pro.

I would at least give a few other tile contractors a call and see how their prices look.

In all reality, I would be more concerned with the methods they would be using to install the tile than the price. I would gladly pay top dollar for a good install than end up with a poor install.

Rd Tile
02-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Yo Alex.:D

Khiori
02-05-2009, 01:10 PM
I am about an hour north of Philadelphia, 2 hours south of NYC.

I thought I filled in the location when I signed in but I guess it isn't showing up. But that is what the 'PA' in the title refers to, Pennsylvania.

I did not know there was a professional tilers thread but that would be fine. I would like someone fairly local. I actually have more tiling than this job lined up for the future (on my Things To Be Remodeled) list. So establishing a good relationship with a someone who could eventually do several jobs would be nice. I don't want someone who does one job then vanishes.

I've been waiting for a guy that was contracted to do my backsplash for over a month now. I was going to ask him for a quote on the floor when he came out but he seems too busy and difficult to reach. My feeling is if it's been this difficult to get him to do a backsplash, I don't want to try and get him to do anything bigger!

cx
02-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Suburban Philadelphia is plenty close enough for a location.
My feeling is if it's been this difficult to get him to do a backsplash, I don't want to try and get him to do anything bigger!Actually, if you'd told him you had a much larger project it's quite likely you would have heard from him sooner, Khiori. That's just the way it works most times, eh? :)

Keep in mind that we can't make any sort of guarantee of any aspect of any tile mechanic you may be contacted by from this website. 'Specially if it's some bozo shouting "Yo, Alex" or anything similar. :D

Khiori
02-05-2009, 02:06 PM
No. He was contracted by my kitchen contractor, not me. The kitchen guy is paying him as it's included in my job.

But he couldn't get hold of him and finally gave ME the tilers phone number to 'bug him'. I got him in early January but he was going to Italy for a month and had too many jobs to finish before he left to fit me in. He apparently does this every year. So I have to wait until he reutrns and the weather gets above 50F because of the wet saw.

It seems some places tilers are very busy and others they are not.

Tiletim
02-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Isn't Rick (tilelayer) in Philly?

ceramictec
02-05-2009, 04:36 PM
I am a scientist, not a tiler. Would you like to do your own food safety microbiology? I wouldn't have a clue about cement or grout or anything. Not to mention I'd surely break a finger nail trying to get those tiles up!smart person here.
knows when to hire an expert to do the job a good job. ;)

Mountain Tile
02-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Where exactly are you in the suburbs? I'm an hour and half North of Philly, maybe I could help you, or know someone who can.

Splinter
02-05-2009, 06:33 PM
'Specially if it's some bozo shouting "Yo, Alex" or anything similar. :D

I can't speak for the Bozo's, but Alex is very professional. :D

(Unfortunately nowhere near Philly though)

coachbuilds
02-05-2009, 08:05 PM
I might be able to help you out. I'm in King of Prussia. Feel free to e-mail me.

Brian

Kilauea
02-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Greetings Tile Experts! (that makes you sound like aliens...)

(Actually,that makes you sound like an alien.);)

Well youve definitely come to the right place to find a qualified tile installer.Im pretty sure that there are several guys from Philly on here.One guy in particular that comes to mind is Rick the Tilelayher.From what Ive seen his work is cherry and knows his stuff.Maybe if hes not to busy he could help you out.

My suggestion about going thru a flooring store(A) as opposed to hiring an individual(B) would be B.One reason is because youre always gonna have to go thru a third party.What I mean is /some guy(the flooring rep)is gonna come out,measure,and give you a labor scope/description/and price.The installer will come out and you might not even like him.If you want to change some things around youd have to get a hold of the rep again.Thats beside the fact they will be overcharging you on everything from materials/to labor to pay for storeroom,wingmen,etc.You REALLY wanna just deal w/someone direct but check theyre credentials first.Maybe references,picts.,and gut feeling...good luck!:goodluck:

Rick(tilelayher),where you at?

tilelayer
02-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Been busy bidding jobs all day, nice mud shower walls and floor

Khiori, check you PM I'm guessing you live up in Allentown or Lehigh or Langhorne?

Thanks

Coachbuilds,

would you please add a signature to your profile? If your an installer please introduce yourself and tell us a lil' about yourself :)

Khiori
02-12-2009, 11:48 AM
I got all the private messages and I want to thank everyone for your offers of help. Just wanted to let you know how things turned out.

First, the guy from Big Flooring Store actually called back with a quote of $7500 for the job. After he told us that night, just a verbal questimate, that it would be around $9000! I think he could see that didn't go down very well.

But before he called I had already found the website of an installer right in the next town (3 generations of floor installers, wood, tile, etc.) that came out and gave me a quote on JUST the labor, I supply the tile/grout and haul away. He rips out/installs/supplies cement board and some other thing for $4471. Now that's a price I can live with. Even if I buy the tile it's still $1300 less than Big Store.

Besides, he seems like such a nice guy. We tend to go for the 'friendly' contractor as opposed to the overly superior expert who tries too hard to impress us! (Big Store guy). :)

I did bookmark the website of one person who does home remodeling who replied to me. They are only about 20 minutes away and I might actually call them for a bathroom quote one day. But I won't be checking back now (unless I run into problems!) as it seems to be settled.

Thanks again!

cx
02-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Glad you found someone with whom you're comfortable. That can get real important sometimes. :)

Do feel free to come back here if you run into problems or have questions.

Mountain Tile
02-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Glad to hear that Khiori :goodluck: Let us know how it turns out when done.