Hamilton is genius! [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton is genius!

Kilauea
01-30-2009, 11:28 AM
I use a speed square to draw my degree%. In this arch I had 19 pieces. Because of the inacurracy of the speed square I rounded to 20 pieces for
the math. I am tiling an arch so I assume 180 degrees, divided by the number
of pieces used,= 20. This comes out to 9 degrees. The other factor is that there
will be a cut on each side of the tile, 2. Divide 9 by 2 and you get 4.5 degrees.
Draw this out on a piece of tile and cut it into a jig,...see pic. This belongs in
tricks of the trade lol. Cut your pieces to the needed size to fit your radius
and then run them through the 4.5% jig.

Every arch is different, as well as tile sizing so each one is a new challenge
On the jig, notice I didn't cut at the first line drawn, the skinny pie shape, rather paralled and cut further into the tile. What this does is leave you more
tile to work with (on the jig) so you dont cut it in half.-Hamilton

It never ceases to amaze me the things I can learn on this forum.Without jacking the other thread I wanted to ask some questions being that this subject deserves its own space.

Alright Jack,if Ive got a medallion(360 deg.)and lets say Im gonna wrap it w/28 4'' pieces.So first i divide 360/28=12.857143.Ok,lets cancel 28 pieces and use 30.So thats gonna be 360/30=12.12/2=6.That would leave me with 6 degrees on either side.Am I doing this right?Also,for a circle I guess you would have to measure the perimeter/circumference(whatever the circular distance is called!).Lets just say its 12 feet all the way around.This gives 144 inches.144/30=4.8.4.8 converted to inches 4''and 7/8-16th(joint)4'' and 13/16 cut at 6 degrees on both sides.Am I correct?:bow:

Sponsored Links

tilelayer
01-30-2009, 02:05 PM
And your just figuring this out?

Just look at the mans avatar

gwataloo
01-30-2009, 03:25 PM
The only math I know is pie is round and corn bread is square.:D

Hamilton
01-30-2009, 06:54 PM
Jeremy, you know what they call people on the internet who intentionally
try to start trouble? Troll's;) Dont be a Troll:D This is the frienliest DIY site
on the net you know :shades:

L.T you gottit man:tup2: When you go through all the actions of drawing
a jig, cutting it and you begin to put the pieces together it will all stick
permanently in your head. Keep in mind your grout joints and how many
when you figure your side to side cuts....:goodluck:

The Kid
01-30-2009, 07:04 PM
ya Jack, I shoulda kept my mouth shut, I really wasn't meaning anything by it. Sorry LT.

Trask
01-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Jack seriously man you might be a genius or an alien or both... I just went back and re-read this and think I totally get what your saying and it is brilliant... Course I have a hard time spelling let alone readin a tape or square.

Thanks for sharing that.

gueuzeman
01-30-2009, 08:18 PM
Hamilton is genius!

Yes, LT, it's true. Now Jack if you play this right, we can have him using spacers by summer. :D Just funnin', L.T.

Once upon a time I considered using "Jack Hamilton wannabe" as my sig, but the more time I spent here I realized that the depth and breadth of talent here is immense, and we all contribute and learn from each other all the time.

How's that for diplomacy, just don't expect me to bahave this nice in the mud box. :drevil:

gwataloo- so is pi R squared = barb-q ribs?

I have this handy angle thing I got at depot or lowe's a while back, works great.
http://ccmolding.com/115902c0.jpg
http://ccmolding.com/114902c0.jpg

http://ccmolding.com/id27.htm

The one I have is a longer version than pictured above.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/gueuzeman/Backsplashes003.jpgThe red tile is a ceramic prototype for marble rhomboids cut form 12" squares. They had to match the mosaic which had angles of 61.5 and 118.5 a bit of head scratching was involved, but this tool was crucial. I think it cost about 15 bucks.

gueuze

The Kid
01-30-2009, 08:22 PM
guezue, I already got struck down for that joke, lets end it right here. again no harm ment LT.

gueuzeman
01-30-2009, 08:37 PM
Gotcha, Jeremy, but don't worry. L.T. and I have progressed far beyond the bad juju of the gridding thread, ancient history. He got a box of my favorite spacers, I got a 6 pack of his favorite beer. It's good.

gueuze

EDIT- I certainly hope none of you would hesitate to make a joke at my expense, gueuzewife's not always around.....

HS345
01-30-2009, 09:08 PM
:x:

gueuzeman
01-30-2009, 09:13 PM
:D @ greg

Kilauea
01-30-2009, 10:14 PM
Yeah dont worry,Jeremy its all g.I seen your remark earlier and didnt bother me a bit.Ive actually tried to "conform" a little thanx to some observant/humble peeps:shades:.Ive tried turning the cheek a little and it feels sooooo much better than going postal.

With that said,I was just like to say thanx again to Jack for sharing this priceless tidbit of info to all of us.The more and more Ive thought about it thruout the day/the more it sinks in and the numbers make so much since.I even told my wife about it tonight driving back from b-ball and she could even share some of my enthusiasm.Its kinda like the Pythagorean theorem/it seems difficult in vast applications but its basically very simple in its basic form.

One more thing.Ive seen way to many ''hotshots'' who would not only be unwilling to let you in on stuff like this but actually hate on you for learning.Jack is not only genius but also a very gracious soul for sharing:king:

Hamilton
01-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Im no genius, I just pay attention to information that can be applied
to things I am faced with. Believe it or not, I used to make wood drums.
An African drum called an Ashiko. Sound pretty cool, anyways a guy I
knew when I lived in Salt Lake taught me this math for making the staves
on a table saw. Its all the same, Drums, arches, radius outter - inner.;)
This picture isn't one of my drums, I googled this and used it because the
stripes really show the staves well. I'm thinking about getting back into
making these. I like working with wood and think I could sell a few online and
at the local farmers market. Anywho, thanks for the compliments. Take any
info I share and apply it :D

Marge
01-31-2009, 07:37 PM
That's the coolest looking TileSpike I've ever seen!! :D