thinset chemistry project [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : thinset chemistry project

Kilauea
01-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Ive overheard some talk on previous threads about adding stuff to thinset.If my memory serves me well somebody mentioned adding perlite for nonsag qualities and calcium for set up hastening.Just wanted to see if any pros:bow: out there heard or even tried it.

*Mahalo*

Sponsored Links

duneslider
01-26-2009, 10:13 AM
There was some talk a while back about adding baking powder/soda (can't remember which) to thinset to make it set really fast.

cx
01-26-2009, 11:27 AM
That's baking soda, Bryan.

ceramictec
01-26-2009, 11:42 AM
Hey Kilauea,

I have mixed baking soda in some thinset for a small patch, dont think I would use it for setting anything major. I'm sure it isn't a good idea'r.

we also use perlite mixed in thinset down here. you can set stone with it mixed in without it squashing your thinset. the small perlite compact and lock holding the tile up. it also makes the thinset a wee bit lighter. this is on jobs where you don't really need to pull mud to set the larger tile.

oogabooga
01-26-2009, 12:53 PM
I've used the baking soda trick a few times, the thinset can kick off real fast, but depends on what additives the manufacturer has in their stuff - one brand it didn't seem to make any difference at all:shrug: I mainly use it when patching floors/walls etc.

Rob.

Dave Gobis
01-26-2009, 01:29 PM
I had a setter that worked for me use baking soda in the thinset and moulding plaster in the mud. Guy was as old as Bridge and did 2 to 3 mud showers a day, floor, wall, and curb. A year later, they all came back out, every single one on the 5th floor of the hospital!

ceramictec
01-26-2009, 02:18 PM
that stinks. like I said, I wouldn't use it for anything big, I don't see that advantage of it. small patch or something. but I usually carry a speed set in my trailor.

Trask
01-26-2009, 02:34 PM
It was stories like the one Dave just put up that made me re-think mixing anything in my thinset. I've had some issues doing that sort of thing.. I remember mixing Keralastic with some Versabond once..no idea what we were thinking..but it left some bad leeching.:dunce:

duneslider
01-26-2009, 02:39 PM
I have mixed keralastic with versabond and ultraflex 2 and whatever the daltile brand thinset is. I was just doing what the boss told me to do. Didn't seem to suffer any side effects that I know of. No leeching issues, just money down the drain.

Trask
01-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Bryan mine was exterior..and it was cold:dunce::dunce:

On the topic of keralastic(I really love that stuff to this day).. I have used it in mortar mix for curbs and form work like benches ect and if you can keep up with it ..it really gets hard..and from my backyard kneejerk testing it also is very strong.

Anti-hydro is another on I was fond of mixing with drypack and mortar..an old timer I worked around years ago put the stuff in everything including his grout. He was convinced it prevented efflorescence and it might have. It's not nearly as voilitale as say..Baking soda though:D

duneslider
01-26-2009, 04:50 PM
I have used kerabond and keralastic a few times for jobs that worried me and I think the stuff is great, amazing may be a better word to use. I have just always been leery of mixing things that haven't been tested.

How do you think keralastic and ditra-set would go together? I got a bunch a bags of ditra-set still and an almost full bucket of keralastic.

Since you use ditra-set and the appropriate additive, what do you figure your per bag cost is? Currently, my use of liquid additive and dry set mortars is pretty infrequent but I have really liked using ditra-set and could see myself keeping it stocked in my garage.

Trask
01-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Ditra-set and 447 flex-o-lastic add-mix is easily as amazing as kerabond-keralastic..I never thought of using keralastic in ditraset...it is unmodified...:devil:come to think of it I got a bucket of it too:stirpot:

TRAVIS (I.T.M.)
01-27-2009, 08:01 PM
I've added a cup or two of Quikrete all purpose sand into each mixed bag of Versabond. It allowed me to keep the thin set slightly looser (easier on the wrist) while lowering the amount of sagging. floors only. Never had an issue with bonding.

Dan Kramer
01-27-2009, 08:55 PM
I don't know where you get your Versabond, but if it's HD just buy Custom's Marble and Granite mix. It's like a medium set. I'd hate to void a warranty cause I added something.