12x24 Glass anyone? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : 12x24 Glass anyone?

tile12
01-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Has anyone ever used these behemoths?

Job in question is using these 12x24 glass tile for a backsplash. So I'm curious about being able to cut out plugs. At the cost per sq/ft I really don't want to break anymore than I have to....

Oh and I have a dewalt wet saw to use.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

Rd Tile
01-19-2009, 05:14 PM
:goodluck:

tilemanct
01-19-2009, 05:16 PM
From what I hear, there are numerous problems with large format glass tiles breaking due to expansion and contraction. Glass that size just reeks of trouble. I think glass should be left to windows!!

Crestone Tile
01-19-2009, 05:23 PM
NO WAY! :goodluck:

:)

cx
01-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Welcome, Ryan. :)

Scares me and I'm usually neigh onto fearless. :eek:

Part of my agreement, presuming I'd accept the job, would be that I mark the outlet locations and take them big ol' glass thingees to my favorite glass dealer to have the cuts made. Still no guarantee against breakage.

Hell, still no guarantee at all. :D

tile12
01-19-2009, 05:43 PM
haha love the "goodluck" responses.

Nothing has been ordered yet, I'm being consulted before the fact to see if it's a "good" idea or not.

At least this job is for the boss in his own home. So I don't have to beat around the bush giving nice excuses why it wouldn't be a good idea to any regular customer. Boss was a tilesetter for 25+ years before getting off the tools, but there wasn't anything like 12x24 glass back then.

gueuzeman
01-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Where you at? I'll come do it. :yummy:

Get a glass blade for your dewalt from Midwest trade tools.

You might need to pre drill the corners of the plug boxes.

Might want to consider plug mold under the cabinets to eliminate the outlets.

Someone I know in Pittsfield mass has installed these from Ann Sacks, i believe.

Beautiful and nerve wracking were his comments if i recall correctly.

gueuze

Tool Guy - Kg
01-19-2009, 07:04 PM
Ryan,

Cutting the tiles are only half the battle.

The other half is having them expand/contract more than man-made or natural stone tiles do, resulting in future cracking failures. The industry starts calling glass tiles "large" when ya get past 3" or 4" because of the issues involved. I think your "behemoth" description is accurate. :D If you do proceed, don't listen to anything we say other than "obey ALL the manufacturer's instuctions and setting material recommendations to the letter". :nod:

I suppose it could be worse guys....he could be trying to install these at the waterline of swimming pool in a freezing climate. :yeah:

TRAVIS (I.T.M.)
01-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Don't know if you have the contacts, but water jet would work just fine.

Installed 12x12 glass in six showers in a house about 8-10 years ago. Installed with around 3/4 tube of silicone per tile. Grouted with standard polymer-modified grout one coat, very low. let it shrink then applied a second coat. never had any problems.

Back then we used a drill press on the job with antifreeze.

Chad Deiter Construction
01-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Wonder if that worked because of the silicone. I have a buddy that just tiled a bathroom for someone and the back wall is floor to ceiling and there has already been 5 break in less that two weeks.:goodluck:

Old World Tile and Marble
01-19-2009, 08:22 PM
wonder why they sell them?whats the brand on the 12x24's
ill drive gueuze out there to install them:yummy::crazy::sick:

tile12
01-19-2009, 08:48 PM
hmm, no water jet available.

I wonder if something like custom's megalite or megaflex would help deal with the expansion and contraction. I'd like to read the manufacturers spec's for installation, I have a feeling they'll be a little more vague than I'd like. But I'll have to look into that.

Our climate is anything but stable, winters dipping to -40*C and summers up to +40*C, and one of the walls is an exterior wall. I'm sure that'll help.

cx
01-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Just break one of'em right away and cut your wrists with the pieces, Ryan. Quicker. Easier. :D

MHI
01-19-2009, 09:16 PM
I think its clear that most of us are not afraid of cutting them. I have many years working with glass, and I'm not afraid of cutting it either.

The problem is setting them to look good, and last. I can't help you with that.:)

rocksolid
01-19-2009, 09:30 PM
Run, Forrest, Run!!!

I think some of you guys know how I feel on large-format glass tiles, but here's my take on it again:

http://rocksolidflooring.net/thinkingaboutglasstile.html

TRAVIS (I.T.M.)
01-19-2009, 09:32 PM
I've used custom megaflex on a couple jobs. Most without structural problems. But recently had a job in which water got behind the tile, it was a big mess. Scraped out all the grout, let it dry, regrouted it, and gave it 4 coats of sealer.

Seemed to work.

Glass just sucks. Too many variables, and if something goes wrong, shit always falls downhill. (meaning to the installers)

Don't think I'll use anything but silicone for large format glass for now on

phobbs
01-20-2009, 07:48 AM
Run away.......................

John Bridge
01-20-2009, 08:06 AM
"Boss was a tilesetter for 25+ years before getting off the tools"

Let him do it. ;)

I'm like some of the others here. I've tried a lot of things, but that sounds more like glazier's work. Even if the holes are cut and the tiles are set successfully, there is a chance of fracture after the fact. If you do it you should get advice from glaziers. You won't find many tile setters with experience. :)

Shaughnn
01-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Ryan,
I would seriously recommend to the client that they relocate the outlets, if at all possible. I understand that penetrations in large-format glass are the first place you'll see stress-related cracking.
Best of luck, :eek:
Shaughnn

Paulie Walnuts
01-20-2009, 09:00 AM
If you cannot convince the client on a different layout... I would get a basin and fill it just enough to cover the glass but be able to cool the diamond. In each corner get a 1/4" Porcelain probit and use it at a low RPM with a cordless. I have used the Probit on glass and have great success with little fracturing. It grinds thru the porcelain or glass rather than drill.

Then get a 4" glass blade for a angle gringer that you can make slow passes back and forth between the holes. I would also get some clear fingernail polish and put it on the cutlines. It aids on preventing fracturing. I guess you could use a 10" glass blade if you have plunge cut for your wet saw also but it might be too wide at the bottom for the small side. FYI. Glass blades are a tad bit pricer because of the fine diamond matrix and must be used wet.

This is a very difficult job and I would test on a piece before the layout.

tile12
01-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks guys.

It won't be a problem changing out the big glass in favor of something else. Any potential for unnecessary hassle during the install and then possibly down the road overrules the novelty of using that big of glass.

Talked to another guy locally that installed 12x24 glass in a shower, and it didn't work out to well for him.

cx
01-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Could rank right up there in your three best career decisions, Ryan. :)

Old World Tile and Marble
01-20-2009, 10:59 PM
chris how are you doing?