Why tile setters shouldn't do other stuff... [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Why tile setters shouldn't do other stuff...

koihito
12-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Since moving I've done very little tile, but have found other stuff to do such as windows, siding, structural repair, etc.

I know how to do such things and for a while thought a change of pace was refreshing... until I cut the end of my right middle finger off with a table saw yesterday... :dunce:

Sponsored Links

The Kid
12-17-2008, 03:46 PM
bum deal man, Hope it heals fast for ya.

MudMaker
12-17-2008, 04:01 PM
Nathan.. I hate it when that happens...
Enuf so's that it can be put back on? or just a little off?? :crap:

koihito
12-17-2008, 04:20 PM
shredded the end completely, they cut off the lose fatty tissue and folded skin over it, 5 stitches. I'm told it will be somewhere between an 1/8" to 1/4" shorter than before... :uhh:

ddmoit
12-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Ouch! I hope you get as close to whole as you can.

I can see how some tile saw habits would not translate well to a table saw.

HS345
12-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Nathan,
Man, sorry to hear that. I hope you're alright. :(

Table saws are extremely dangerous. I personally know two carpenters who lost fingers to portable table saws this year. :sick:

MudMaker
12-17-2008, 04:33 PM
Lotsa nerve endings there too that make it hurt more. Hey.. you can get hurt with tile too... Ya know that stuff is real sharp sometimes... :D
Earlier this year I was helpin my step-son put in a screen door - his drill slipped and he started to drill a 3/16 hole in my left thumb - didn't go all the way through the thumb just halfway.. I just looked up at him.. Shoulda seen his face.. :sick:

koihito
12-17-2008, 05:00 PM
The best part is, the way it wrapped and the fact I'm supposed to keep it elevated leaves me walking around flipping people off... :D

opiethetileman
12-17-2008, 05:33 PM
hey no more finger jokes i am missing my left index finger

MudMaker
12-17-2008, 07:08 PM
Hey Opie.. that left nostril must be gettin purty full by now.. :twitch:

Tool Guy - Kg
12-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Sorry to hear that, Nathan. I pray it heals real well. :bow:

Can I ask if you were following the safety rules when this happened? Or were you bending them a little? I'm not morbidly curious or being judgmental...just trying to learn from you.

HotinOKC
12-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Can we start calling you, "stubs?" :laugh2:

You maybe lucky and it will grow back. It has been known to happen......

Sorry to hear about your "loss."

If this happened on the job, then you should fill out a OSHA 301 injury form, which is a federal requirement for employers.

muskymike
12-17-2008, 08:36 PM
Sorry to hear that Nathan. I hope it heals good. When I use my table saw or any corded or cordless saw, I repect it more than my wife!

Mountain Tile
12-17-2008, 08:55 PM
Ouch, I been there man, cut the tip of my finger off. Amazing doc cut skin from my arm and stitched it to my finger and through my finger nail. As the nail grew back the new tip built up with fatty tissue and is almost normal. I know how it throbs with every beat of your pulse, hope they're givin ya good meds.

Foochacho
12-17-2008, 09:34 PM
quit cutting yourself

Foochacho
12-17-2008, 10:05 PM
I did this about three and a half years ago on a table saw. I had the saw set up on the ground and had my fingers a little close for comfort. The blade needed to be changed but I only had a few more boards left to cut. It was about 6 p.m. when it happened I had been working all day and just wanted to finish my cuts. The board bound up and my hand went into the saw right under my pinky. The saw cut into my hand ripping apart my joint under my pinky. When pulling my hand awy it caught my middle finger, index and thumb. My pinky and ring finger where left intact.

The doctor couldn't reattach any fingers because the breaks were too bad. My pinky was full until my physical therapist burnt the tip of it in therapy with heat pads. My nerves and circulation were messed up when it cut into my hand so I had a sensitivity to heat. The burn was so bad the tip needed to be amputated.

My pinky causes me more problems than it does good since I am missing my joint. I am not able to bend it and it gets in the way. When I put weight on it is is painful. so you could say it is there for looks but since I am missing the tip that is no longer the case.

Bellsfloors
12-17-2008, 11:01 PM
You guys are making me cringe.... :sick:
I just finished a wood floor last week and will start another after the new year. Always watching out for that blade and always use pusher boards for close cuts. Still I think someday that dang blade is going to do something crazy and come after me to. :eek:

Marge
12-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Nathan, so sorry to hear about your incident and hope you heal as best as possible.

Table saws have always scared me and y'all know I love tools and like to try new stuff. The guys here have coached me on tips/safety/etc....but, I'll admit that darn saw still makes me nervous. I did a lot of research and was amazed to learn that a high percentage of injuries occur on table saws...pros and DIYers alike.

Y'all aren't helping with the confidence instilling thing. :D

Tool Guy - Kg
12-17-2008, 11:51 PM
Sean, like I was with Nathan...I'm not judging...just trying to learn. Can I ask if you had the blade guard on?

I heard a statistic years ago that better than 95% of folks who lost fingers to a table saw did so on an unguarded blade. And much of those 95% were folks who were cross-cutting a board with a ripping blade that led to a kickback/accident.

Foochacho
12-18-2008, 12:45 AM
No blade guard on. I still won't use one. They get in the way and make my job harder. I do alot of plunge cutting on the table saw. When I caught my fingers I was ripping a board without a fence because it was a crooked cut. My problem was my blade was dull and I was a little careless with the placement of my hands. I always carry a sharp blade now and don't get my hands so close.

I know plenty of pros who have caught fingers. Some who have been using saws for decades. I am not scared to use saws but i hate watching others use them.
I will probally get one of these eventually http://www.sawstop.com/ that way I don't have to worry about me or any help I have with me.

Dave Taylor
12-18-2008, 01:14 AM
Nathan, Frank, Dan, Chuck, Sean…..

I am sooooo sorry for you guys and…….
You scare the bejesus outta’ me……
At times I get the he-bee gee-bees just thinking about my table saw.

Like Tracy…. I dream at night of that saw blade sneering, drooling,
snarling…. just waiting to jump out and chase me around the shop.

Ouch ouch ouch ouch.

John K
12-18-2008, 07:13 AM
That is why I never use a table saw. Don't care to use one or learn to use one. Next in line is the toe kick saw...

Hope you get better soon...

Lazarus
12-18-2008, 09:16 AM
I don't know if any of you have seen this or not....but it's pretty amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX1uD9CDtLs

Dave Taylor
12-18-2008, 09:32 AM
I constantly gits' e-mails promising body part growth that will add inches..... don't know about the finger nails though. :uhh:

cx
12-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Yeah, What Dave Taylor said.

I just started gettin' some of them spams again and I'm tellin' y'all that if youins was to rub that stuff on your hands you'd have new fingers in no time at all. Grat big ol' fingers. Maybe half a dozen of'em if the ads are accurate, which I'm certain they are. :D

Do be careful with them saws, though. And postin' them pichers should certainly remind others to do the same. Makes my hand hurt just to look at'em. :shake:

ddmoit
12-18-2008, 11:00 AM
Good post, Laz. I had seen that before, and it's legit.

opiethetileman
12-18-2008, 02:24 PM
my left index finger is at a 22 degree angle makes a great caulk tool. and something else but hey that would rated x. but it sucks when i do back splashed the nub usually gets the live wire.

koihito
12-18-2008, 06:26 PM
Dang Sean, you got me beat on that one!

Tonto,
No blade guard, and I probably won't put it back on. I was ripping a wet pressure treated 2x4x10 with a 20 degree angle with a blade that is not dull but not brand new either, I was using a push stick (if I hadn't been, I bet I'd look like Sean...) A knot in the board about 2" from the end caught the blade and took the board, stick, and my finger.

Where I screwed up was not having a table or roller or something to support the board off the saw. I was holding the 10' board up by pressing down with the stick, so when it caught and jumped up I "fell" into the blade. It was only four cuts and I didn't want to get "everything out" for "just four cuts"; Pretty stupid, huh?

It hurts, but no pain meds (I've got 'em, but I'm not gonna use 'em unless I need to...

tilelayer
12-20-2008, 05:41 PM
and people wonder why i refuse to use a table saw ever since that day in woodshop where the board some idiot was cutting kicked back and flew across the room and hit me in the head.

Old World Tile and Marble
12-20-2008, 05:56 PM
well RICK i finally understand you now :D jk :tup1: :crazy:

The Kid
12-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Anyone else considering using a table saw in the near future please use a damn push stick! :bonk: