How would you accomplish this task.. [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : How would you accomplish this task..

Ken
12-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Please write in detail, how you would accomplish this task, in detail. Looking for some other ideas from Pro's

Got a ton of this work to do, over and over and want to do it the most efficient way possible.

Materials for wall:
DALTile 4" Wall tile
Blue 1" mosaics
TEC Double Duty (Mastic) or TEC Full Flex Thinset (White)
White unsanded grout

Pattern information and installation requirements.

First off Mastic is acceptable on the wall as this is a dry area with no water exposure. Setting substrate is CBU.

Off the floor, 6 rows of 4" tile, one row of 1" mosaic, 4 rows of 4" tile, one row of 1" mosaic, 4 rows of 4" tile, one row of mosaic, 4 rows of 4" tile, one row of 1" mosaic, 4 rows of 4" tile, one row of mosaic, 2 rows of 4" tile.

NOTE: when i say one row of mosiac, i mean one row cut off the sheet and set on the wall as an accent band, not an entire sheet.

The mosaics are noticeably thinner than the 4" wall tile.

How in detail would you accomplish this commercial installation the most efficient? I'm curious to know what everyone would do.

Sponsored Links

custombuilt
12-12-2008, 03:31 PM
one row at a time... no seriously, with mastic and four inchers i would snap a line around the perimiter at the height of the first 6 tiles....then run from the line down, cutting in the floor if needed....then work up... on the mosaics i would trowel the wall and then the back as i go...no easy way to do them

i would snap the lines around with and then work one wall at a time. i always find it faster to finish one wall first before moving on. also work out the layout so you can cut everything on the snapper

Davestone
12-12-2008, 03:34 PM
I would set the main files tiles with thinset use a 1" gauge to separate them where the accent is going, then cut a piece of wood with the depth of the accent tiles and apply thinset to the 1" gap and cut this thinsetted gap with the gauge board i just made,the little board would look something like this E with the top and bottom _ removed giving me the perfect depth for the accents.

Ken
12-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Davestone, thats pretty much exactly what we're doing now.. what a mess!

Davestone
12-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Oh yeah i forgot to add it's a mess. :crazy: Don't add too much thinset and cut back and forth with the stick.

Brad Denny
12-12-2008, 04:08 PM
I just did a one strip 1" mosaics in a 13x13 field floor and applied the entire 1'x2' sheet to Kerdi then cut the strips giving me the ability to build them up. Noble's TS is a little thicker, may not need to build out. I stole that from Mike2. :)

ceramictec
12-12-2008, 04:20 PM
I would do 1 row (4 tile and 1 strip of mosaic) around the room first and work my way up.

that all depends on how the room is laid out, etc.

Ken
12-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Brad, now that is a nice idea.. that would save on the mess thats for sure.

Our shop uses all the Noble products. :)

ceramictac, thats always the way to go, is around the room working your way up. This way you dont ever get out of level from wall to wall if you do an entire wall at a time.

Company I worked for before, always did entire walls at a time, bottom to top, then I started working for this new company and saw the light on doing the room around and up. makes way more sense that way.

tilelayer
12-12-2008, 05:39 PM
around and up for me too the other ways too risky i always lay the field in the whole room then the accents in the room and then more field if its in the job in the room and then all the caps or chailrails and call it a day.

Jhereg
12-12-2008, 07:31 PM
for the glass bands I'd use easymat to bring it out to flush. I've never had a problem doing glass that way and there's 2 thicknesses to choose from.

ceramictec
12-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Chad,

I don't think he mentioned they were glass, just mosaic's. but who knows.
:jack:

Brad Denny
12-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Hey Ken,
I'm a big fan of the all way round the bottom then up, too. You ain't stackin' a buncha wet on top of each other and you can adjust the corners to line up/space out just right while it's fresh.

**Oh, here's a link (http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=523982&postcount=31) to that Mike2 trickery.

Ken
12-13-2008, 03:59 AM
nah, they ain't glass mosaics, they are porcelain