Shiny v's Honed v's Matt [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Shiny v's Honed v's Matt

bobbieboy
10-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Hi, My husband and I are building and are trying to decide which porcelain tile to choose - shiny, honed or a matt finish. We love the look of the shiny tiles but are concerned about the maintenance factor ie looking dirty, showing foot prints and water marks etc. We have a very large area to cover (Kitchen, dining, family open plan area) and two inside dogs. I have been to several tile shops and each sales person tells me a different story - some say shiny is easy to keep shiny and others say its a nightmare.
Can anyone share their experiences and advice? Cheers

Sponsored Links

Scottish Tile and Stone
10-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Your sure its porcelain and not stone?

If its porcelain, I dont see any problems with the shiny stuff, other than it might be a bit slippery.

jadnashua
10-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Honed porcelain (including those polished after honing) opens the pores and requires a sealer (on those I've seen). Normally, a porcelain can't absorb any sealer, so that's another maintenance action. Use a good sealer, and you don't have to do it too often, but you do.

A shiney, polished porcelain, like a polished stone floor, will show any dust, dirt, or whatever on it in the right light. If you don't rinse well when mopping, you'll see the streaks.

A glazed porcelain would likely be a little more forgiving since it doesn't need to be sealed, and the action of applying the glaze means it won't be as consistent as a through-body colored tile.

A through-body, unglazed porcelain can have anywhere from a rough, natural stone texture to quite smooth and shiney.

So, can't help you any more...see what the others think.

tilejoe
10-29-2008, 05:28 PM
I have tile in every room of my house. I also have 2 dogs, 5 cats and a pot bellied pig. You are going to have dirt regardless of what material you use. I would say that the dark slate I have in the bathroom hides dirt the best. Something honed or matte is going to hide it better, but the polished cleans a bit easier. I have to say that the Tec XT grout I used 2 years ago still looks great, and it really takes a beating. As for the tile in the rest of the house, it is a glazed porcelain, kinda matte. It always cleans up nice, but the animals keep us busy cleaning. Thank God I don't have carpet.

bobbieboy
10-29-2008, 11:54 PM
Thanks guys :yipee:

This has helped. I have looked at some tiles today and have gone for the honed. I think the look of the tile won me over - House work :tongue:

Cheers