Grout and caulk questions [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Grout and caulk questions

AnnainOK
10-26-2008, 09:27 AM
Okie dokie. I'm setting approx. 35ft linear of absolute black granite tile on my countertops. The backsplash is bordered by a neutral horizontal offset stone tile on mesh, and then travertine 4" buff tiles on point. There will be wood trim for the front.

I need black unsanded grout for the granite, and a matching caulk. I'll also need a buff grout for the travertine/border.

Two questions:

1. Do I use black or buff caulk at the seam between the counter and backsplash?

2. I need to find a grout/caulk match for black, but can't find it in Polyblend. I went to the Colorfast site, but they don't appear to make a caulk that matches the charcoal. Am I going to have to change my grout manufacturer, or will a different line's black caulk be close enough?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

Davestone
10-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Black caulk is a real pain, i wouldn't use it unless absolutely necessary,use the beige wherever you can, and consider clear caulk if it will work for the black absolute.If not almost any black will do considering most color caulk rarely match the grout perfectly.

Rd Tile
10-26-2008, 09:39 AM
Tec and Laticrete have matching caulks to all their colors.:)

I would use the color of the backsplash grout for the joint at the counter top.:)

AnnainOK
10-26-2008, 10:58 AM
I had been told that Polyblend would be a better grout for me, as it doesn't set up too fast. I'd love to use an epoxy grout, but the potential problems seem to outweigh the benefits.

I can go with TEC, the problem is that there are NO dealers within a reasonable driving distance. So, I'll have to order it all in. That's really become SOP for us, however. Picking colors off a computer screen is truly a pain.

What about ColorFast EasyClean Grout? Is it as good as the TEC or PolyBlend?

John Bridge
10-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Hi Anna,

Polyblend grout is fine. It doesn't matter which color you use for the transition, but buff is a lot easier to work with than black. ;)