I know it's a Tile forum but.... [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : I know it's a Tile forum but....

Twist1285
09-29-2008, 04:37 PM
The HO asked me to install the bamboo also. Now I have done this before, but they are pressing me badly. I wanted to stack the bamboo in house for a minimum of 72hrs, they want it installed the day it's delivered(tomorrow). Now this is a brand new house, but they have the A/C on already. My question is with the A/C on how long will it take? Thanks and my appologies for the wood in a tile forum!

Sponsored Links

mdanforth
09-29-2008, 04:58 PM
I wouldn't install the same day, I like to let all my wood flooring sit in the house for a week before I put it down.......

Twist1285
09-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Same here...as I said I like a minimum of 72hrs I was however hoping the air conditioning would help

MudMaker
09-29-2008, 05:02 PM
The HO asked me to install the bamboo also.

We quite often have to tell people things they don't want to hear.. It comes with the territory... :D

JTG
09-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Also my experience. You need to let it get use to the house.
And you said you have done Bamboo before? Be real carefull. That stuff no matter what brand and type I found that you could dent it in a heard bead. I never saw one that I couldn't put an indent in it with my thumb nail.
Good Luck
JTG

Davestone
09-29-2008, 05:38 PM
I installed some awhile back and the air was off, the weather was nice, the bamboo was in the house 3 weeks, in the middle of doing it the owners turned the air on because of the young kids,,,,now they call me telling me the boards are shrinking and there are gaps....hmm, i warned over and over about this but they couldn't be swayed. :bow:

koihito
09-29-2008, 05:55 PM
That surprises me Jerry, I've got bamboo in my living, dining, and kitchen; it's WAY more durable than any oak I've ever had or installed.

Let it acclimate, it'll come back to haunt you if you don't.

09-29-2008, 07:10 PM
what kind of floor, real wood, engineered, etc.

Stapling down the smaller strips holds them down pretty darn good. (2" staples). I really don't see how they can twist or pull their way out of that.

I also ask the gomer that I buy it from and see how long they've had it on their floor/yard/warehouse. ASSUMING they know what they're talking about, I figure there's not much difference in climate if I stay w/in the same area.

But I'm in a very dry/arid area, so that may make a difference.

Tool Guy - Kg
09-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Brett, you gotta do what you know is right and allow it to acclimate. :)

stullis
09-29-2008, 09:19 PM
:uhh: Acclimation for wood or bamboo is NOT a time thing especially with bamboo.
Get a moisture meter and learn how to use it.

Jaz
09-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Gary,

There is no nail that can keep wood from shrinking or expanding as it wants to. I think the common rule is to place it in the room at least 3 days prior. AND, you have to open all the boxes and spread the stuff out. Otherwise I recommend a week or longer.

If they want it done right away. Warn them again, and have them release you from any future problems. Have them sign the agreement of course.

Jaz

Twist1285
09-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Ha Ha Ha I don't know why i asked this question, as I already stated the answer in my first post. I guess i was looking for someone to justify doing something wrong. So guess what I am going to refuse to install unless it aclimates for at least 3 days, and also check it with a meter. I have a butt load of mud-set stone work anyway, they wanted this done so they could bring their cabinets in and set it on it (I know I know I told them about this as well, being bamboo dents and scratches so easily), they are cool people, I jsut need to be a bit for forceful I suppose. Thanks for shutting down my butch like thinking! He He