Grouting / Sealing / Shower - Wait times [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Grouting / Sealing / Shower - Wait times

thepilo
09-15-2008, 01:38 PM
I am redoing my bathroom, and will be grouting the shower/bath today. House long should I wait in between each of the steps listed above. (we have a single bath house so we are without the shower now... not too convenient..

Here is a picture of the tile work so far.

Sponsored Links

Mike2
09-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Dan, first you need to pick a brand of sealer. It's instructions should give you this information. If not, give us the brand and maybe we can help.

Many but not all brands suggest waiting 72 hours after grouting before applying it. Afterwards, many will suggest waiting 24 to 72 hours for full cure before using.

thepilo
09-15-2008, 01:49 PM
I am yet to get the sealer, Is there a recommended brand that is available from either HD or Lowes?

Mike2
09-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Sorry, no brands at any home center store that I would recommend.

Go to a real tile store/dealer and pick up a professional brand from StoneTech, AquaMix, Miracle Sealants, TEC, etc., and of the major players.

Note that you will find sealers from some of those companies at HD and Lowes. But they are "watered down" versions, not the same professional strength and quality like I would recommend.

:)

thepilo
09-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the info, I will look for some of then. Last question... Caulk... before or after the grout sealer is applied?

GeorgeT
09-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Caulk before you apply sealer.... The sealer can prevent caulk from bonding properly....

thepilo
09-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Mike,

Can't find the products that were listed, but a shop recomended a product called tileguard (sp?) for sealing the grout? any experience with this?

Mike2
09-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Dan, you can do a lot better than some spray can product, like Tile Guard (from Homax). A lot better.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/Jeep03/9550_prodimg1.jpg

If you can't find a tile shop with one of those brands I mentioned earlier, pick up a quart of StoneTech Professional Heavy Duty from the TYW Store here. http://www.tileyourworld.com/catalog/index.php

thepilo
09-17-2008, 08:22 AM
The product that they had was not an aerosol, but in a bottle, with a spray nozzle similar to a windex nozzle.

www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(g0k2niv2nofwi0ui23zw4aut)/productDetails.aspx?SKU=998009366

Another question is I Caulked last night, and the caulk between the tub and the wall seems to have a small crack in the middle of it, it is a sanded color matched grout, can I just recaulk on top to seal that with a slightly larger radius? all the caulk in the corners came out fine, no crack...

This is where I got the caulk from....

http://www.stonetooling.com/product/color-fast-tile-grout-caulk.html

Thanks for all the help so far.

Mike2
09-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Color Fast will stick to itself so you can add a little more to fill in that gap.

thepilo
09-17-2008, 09:58 AM
Thanks... Will do. I'll get some more pictures a little later on. This is my first bathroom remodel on my own, and it's coming together pretty well..