Waterproofing behind shower walls? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Waterproofing behind shower walls?

ifletchr
07-06-2008, 03:44 PM
I've tried to look everywhere I could around here, but couldn't find an answer. I am currently remodeling my Master Bath and the tile guy is starting on the shower. He started to lay tile on the shower walls without any waterproofing on the walls, only Durock. When I ask him about it, he said that waterproofing isn't required behind the shower walls if its not a steamer. Is this correct? I've always understood to tape the seams and parge the shower walls with thinset at the minimum and then use redguard or a similar product over that. Other option to use kerdi or some other system.

Advice?

Thanks-

Sponsored Links

lou432
07-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Welcome Fletch?? You need a vapor barrier behind the durock( 4 mil plastic or 15 lb roofin felt & yes tape & mud the seams,or Redgaurd it all but still tape & mud no matter what! But most importantly is what the method of waterproofing for the pan???? preslope? weep holes unclogged?
Check out the Liberry up above or go here>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5434 & go thru the shower construction thread & you`ll be gifted with all the knowledge you need to make sure the shower is done correctly

Davy
07-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Yep, what Lou said. If it's too late for the barrier behind the backerboard, have him put Redgard (or other membrane) over it. :)

John Bridge
07-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Hi Fletch, :)

Lou has you covered. Either a moisture barrier behind the backer board or something like RedGard on the front. One or the other is called for as per ANSI A-108.

1431Gary
07-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Hello-
we just installed the moisture barrier on the 3 walls for a stall shower. Once of the walls is an exterior wall and therefore has insulation between the joists. Is it okay to have the poly over this? Then we plan on hardibacker for the walls. Should we remove the poly on the insulated wall or slit the insulation and then apply the barrier again.

Please help, for some reason, the tile supplier says it is not required and our friends "in the business of home remodeling" say it is required but not over insulation. Who is right?

thanks! sorry if I barged in on this thread.... no sense in starting a new one if the topic is the same, right?

Patty

cx
07-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Actually, Patty, we discourage asking similar questions on someone else's thread. Causes confusion and someone's question invariable gets missed or mis-answered.

I've combined your two threads for your bathroom project and folks are answering the same questions for you there. If you have additional questions or need more clarification, that's the place to ask them so we can keep the history of your project all on one thread. :)

You want a moisture barrier behind all shower walls.

If you've lost track of your thread, you'll find it here. (http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61576)

My opinion; worth price charged.