Anyone hiring for tile installer in FL? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hiring for tile installer in FL?

TiAmoLife
07-06-2008, 09:56 AM
We're located in Port Charlotte, FL and my husband has been out of work now for 2 months. Does anyone know of any builder or someone that is looking for a 22yr, licensed installer? Please help things are getting worse for me & my family. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks and many blessings.

Sponsored Links

ceramictec
07-06-2008, 10:16 AM
as you know the economy and the building is pretty bad in the U.S.. let alone in the bubble States like Florida & California. it wont pick up like it was for a while if ever near that good again. might be time to start looking for some other form of work to hold you over until the trades pick up.

lots of tile guys are lowering their prices to get work, but thats doing nothing but making them work for near free and screwing others up, dont fall into that rut. might be time to find a steady job untrade related or another type of trade thats busy to hold you over until this downturn picks back up.

good luck.

TiAmoLife
07-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Oh gosh do I know what's going on. We've tried to have garage sells. Have sold our vehicles and ended up having to sell my engagement ring. We don't have a problem doing the jobs for less if there were any available unfortnately where I'm at just nothing is happening. I thank you for writing me though it's greatly appreciated. Many blessings.

MudMaker
07-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Life Lover...
Slow up here in Ohio too, so don't come here... Wait a minute...
Who'd want to come here??? :)
Hope you can stay afloat till better times are back.. Best wishes :nod:

ceramictec
07-06-2008, 01:08 PM
I will PM you a name of a large flooring contractor that is going to be tiling a Mall in Ocala shortly. it requires travel and stay in that area with other guys. the pay will be hourly but there will be about 3 months of work. I'm sure they will want to qualify him.
might be a good idea to contact them,
work for them while things get better and pass time.
hopefully they havent got there full of guys for that job.

:)

cx
07-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Welcome, TiAmoLife. Please give us a first name to use. :)

Brian (ceramictech) has suggested moving this thread to the Professionals' Hangout. We'll let it ride here for a while to see what response you might get from local folks, first. If you're not getting any action here, we'll move it to the Hangout for a while, too.

Not sure that'll do you a lot of good, though. If you search the forums a bit you'll see a number of threads from our pros talking about work being slow in their areas, too. :(

There are also a lot of threads about how to promote one's self and get more and better business. You might have your spouse peruse some of those and see if maybe he can't pick up a tip or two that he hasn't thought to try.

Hope y'all can hold out 'till times get better. Unfortunately, feast or famine seems to be the name of the game in the construction industry and I've never known it to be different. :shades:

TiAmoLife
07-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks so much for the input...my hubby is the installer and I'm the helper ... I do the mudding, grouting, all the fun stuff :) This is the first time I've ever seen something like this forum. Didn't know this type of thing existed. Again thanks alot.

Take care,
Liza Manna

TiAmoLife
07-06-2008, 05:41 PM
I hear ya .... this was this man that owns a huge business and he sells tile etc from overseas to here and he said that Florida was the worst state going yet. Hope things look up for you and things start kicking!

Take care,
Liza :)

TiAmoLife
07-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Hey Brian,

Thanks so much for the info. Maybe something will happen. If it does you've been my angel and if it doesn't at least I know there are still kind people left in this world...thanks again and I will keep you posted.

Take care,
Lisa

scuttlebuttrp
07-07-2008, 05:40 AM
Slow up here in Ohio too, so don't come here... Wait a minute...
Who'd want to come here???

I remember Ohio as being a very nice state, with very nice people, with absolutely zero work. Hmm. I guess I don't want to go there either. :)

TiAmoLife
07-07-2008, 08:10 AM
The only place seems to have "some" work is NJ from what I've heard ...I just can't afford to get out there...