New Shower Problems [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : New Shower Problems

micp879
07-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Hey Guys,
I have some concerns regarding a new shower, and Im hoping you can help. One month ago, I moved into a newly built house. The area I put the most money into was the master bathroom... spa tub, tiled shower, etc. Well when I was getting ready to use the shower for the first time, I discovered some tiny hairline cracks in the grout at the very bottom of the shower, where the bottom row of tiles meet the shower base (which I assume to be fiberglass). I told the builder, who advised me to use the grout touch up kit they left me to apply some fresh grout.
Well I did so, and sealed all the grout with 511 impregnator. Well since then, Ive noticed the hairline cracks reforming again. Also, I can hear the shower base creaking a bit as I step around in the shower. This is starting to concern me. Was the base installed in correctly? Is it shifting around, causing the grout to crack? Should I use some silicone caulk at the bottom, where the grout cracks have been reappearing?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. When I was having my bathroom built, I would frequently come to this site for ideas and thoughts. Your guys knowledge is phenominal! Thanks so much in advance.

Keith

Sponsored Links

Crestone Tile
07-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Hi Keith,

You should actually have caulk (color matched to the grout if possible) or silicone where the wall meets the shower base. As for the creaking base ... no, it shouldn't do that. It should have been set in plaster or mortar to provide for solid support. The movement of the base is most likely contributing to your grout cracking. Even if it was solid though, it's still proper to use caulk because there's usually enough movement at any change plane to cause cracking in a grouted corner.

ceramictec
07-05-2008, 02:22 PM
it seems like you put money into the bath but the builder didn't utilize it.

your builder should have put some type of support bed under the plastic shower pan and also they should have caulked all corners.

cx
07-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Welcome, Keith. :)

What Matt said.

Ain't no way that shower base should be movin' and creakin' in a new house. And ain't no way a builder should be tellin' a customer to repair his own shower that's not but a month old. I hate it when they do that. :mad:

Time to call the builder back for a proper repair, even if that includes a new shower.

My opinion; worth price charged.

ceramictec
07-05-2008, 02:46 PM
cx is right,
they have a one year warranty to fix things in your home.
not though you can call him for every small item, best to compile a list for him.
do this again before the one year is up.

micp879
07-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Hey guys,
Thanks for the quick replies. Im going to talk to the site foreman on Monday morning. For the most part, they have been very responsive to my concerns thus far. I want to make sure to stay on top of this shower, as I spent far too much money to let it be installed incorrectly. Plus, I dont want those hairline cracks to lead to water damage over time, behind the tiles and shower pan. In the mean time, Ive been doing what I can to prevent damage.... IE ive been wiping walls down after EVERY shower, etc. Thanks again, Ill keep everyone updated.

Keith

Davestone
07-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Builders!Did they leave you some roof tar and extra copper pipe too in case you have some leaks? :bow:

micp879
07-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Hey guys,
I just wanted to give you guys an update on my shower. I told the foreman and his assistant about my concerns, and they immediately came up to check it out. Of course, when I stepped in the shower in front of them, I couldn't get the thing to creak at all. I guess its only when Im actually showering that it does this. They did confirm that a bed of mortar was layed prior to installation of the base (I didnt even have to ask, they just came right out and said there was a bed of mortar underneath it). In regards to the cracked grout all around the base, they said their subcontractor will be out tomorrow to dig out all the cracked grout, and apply something different that will allow a bit more flexibility and not crack so easily. Ill keep everyone updated. Thanks again for the help, Keith