Concrete front step [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Concrete front step

Robinct
07-05-2008, 09:48 AM
We can't get any straight answers from the local cement co's, should've come here to the experts first!

Question: 50+ yr.old front concrete step that is crumbling. Repaired a few years ago, crumbling again. Don't know if it is just a slab or part of the house foundation (the back step was - had to have it removed when addition added). We'd like to put bluestone slabs on top and possibly rock facing on the riser. Any way of repairing the concrete w/o removing the whole thing and putting in new slab?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

Rd Tile
07-05-2008, 09:59 AM
You need to remove all the loose stuff down till you find solid base, then, you can reface it.

cx
07-05-2008, 10:05 AM
This part of that porch you're puttin' slate on, Robbin? You fixin' to pewt slate on these steps, too?

Here's a product (http://www.abatron.com/cms/buildingandrestorationproducts/concretemaintenance/aboweld551.html) from the Abatron company that will fix your steps. I've used this stuff only once, but I use their wood repair products regularly. The concrete pookey did exactly what they said it would, too.

A bit spendy, but you only need it once. If you're fixin' to tile over the steps, might not be the right fix at all, though. Dunno.

My opinion; worth price charged.

ceramictec
07-05-2008, 10:06 AM
I agree with Richie.

where are you located at ?
water & feeeze could be making the steps crumble and the new stuff you did also.

Robinct
07-05-2008, 10:48 AM
The concrete step is not part of the 3 season porch that we are putting slate on, it's the front step of the original part of the house - blt. 1950. We are in CT so we do get extremes in weather.

Robinct
07-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Hmmmm....that stuff looks great. Wonder if we can slate over it? Brick? Anyone use this and add anything over it?

:confused:

Rd Tile
07-05-2008, 11:54 AM
No need for all that, I've bricked up and done many stoops, you need a footing around the old to square it up, the new brick is then built around the old steps, when you place the bricks across the old steps, just use the same mortar as you are using for the bricks, then fill in all the voids and square it off for your treads, spread some modified thinset or portland and water mixed to a paste as you set them.

This is all easier said than done, NOT A first time diyer project, setting brick correctly takes time to learn, here's my stoops done over the old concrete ones that are under the new brick and stone.

ceramictec
07-05-2008, 12:08 PM
I like the last 2 pictures. reminds me of the North East. :tup1:

Rd Tile
07-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Think that's where Long Island is. :D

flatfloor
07-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Yup, we're still here. :)

Nice work Rich.

cx
07-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Rich is responsible for Lon Guisland bein' inna northeast? :scratch:

I thought he alla time called upon Alex for them really tough jobs. :D

flatfloor
07-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Some guy named Glacier left us here. :)

cx
07-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Oh, yeah, he works with Alex, right? :twitch:

Rd Tile
07-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Who's Alex? :uhh:

ceramictec
07-05-2008, 02:48 PM
he's the member you summons like a Genie. :lol1:

flatfloor
07-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Nah, he's on second. :twitch:

Robinct
07-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Didn't know my post was gonna start you guys off on a roll, ha!! Anyway, nice brick work. Still not sure if we are going to do brick, I'm trying to stick with stone face and slab top. Our house is dk grey, very N.E.-ish and I like the look of the bluestone. The stone face is pricier than brick, though, and I don't like pavers (sorry for those of you who do...just a personal pref). Really just a little nervous about putting anything over the crumbling concrete, afraid that it will effect the integrity of the new stuff. But if you say it's okay.....I believe you!

Davestone
07-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Robin, posting pics sometimes shuts them up.