Our grout is *not* the color we wanted [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Our grout is *not* the color we wanted

Yipcanjo
07-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Lurker and 1st time poster!

My wife and I are remodeling our main bathroom. New vanity, toilet, paint, fixtures, etc.. We're also laying out some 6x6 tiles that have small mosaic-like inset tiles at some of the intersections. It's going to look great! :)

Anyhow, we were just getting ready to grout the floor tomorrow morning, but we ran into an issue: my wife was cleaning some joints with a grout saw, bumped one of the inset tiles, and it came loose! The inset tiles were sitting on thinset on top of Schluter Ditra squares on top of thinset once again -- all to get the height correct. The whole thing came out, and we're wondering how best to get it back in there. Should we re-thinset that small square, or could I use something like Gorilla Glue for that piece? Perhaps that's a dumb idea.... :uhh:

I also fear that this is going to bump our grout project out another day at the very least, but we'd rather do it *right* than quickly.

HELPP!!!!

Thanks,

Yipc

Sponsored Links

Crestone Tile
07-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Hi and welcome ...

How big are the inset tiles?

Yipcanjo
07-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Pretty small. About 2" x 2".

Crestone Tile
07-02-2008, 10:20 PM
The minimum approved size for setting on Ditra is 2" x 2". Re-reading your thread, I have another question - is the entire floor Ditra? I'm trying to understand the height building part.

Yipcanjo
07-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the quick replies, Matt.

So.... 99% of the tile is going directly down on Wonderboard. The inset tiles, however, are not quite as tall as the primary 6x6 tiles. Our local shop recommended cutting Ditra squares, back buttering those, back buttering the inset tiles (thus making a sandwich, so to speak), and then placing those down on the Wonderboard. The height is good with that setup. One of the inset "sandwiches" came off of the Wonderboard, however. :(

Related to this... my wife reminded me that we have some SpeedFinish "floor patch" compound. Could that work for this small job?

Crestone Tile
07-02-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm not really on board with the small squares of Ditra suggestion you followed, but it's done. So.... I would just re-thinset your loose piece back in.

Important things that should have been done:

-Embed CBU in thinset troweled at 1/4" by 1/4"
-Fasten CBU with approved screws or nails at a maximum spacing of eight inches
-Embed tile in thinset with adequate bonding coverage (greater than 85% for your application)
- and ... even though I'm not hot on the little pieces of Ditra idea, the coverage to both top and bottom should be adequate (such as the squares being entirely filled)

Hope it works out for you :)

Yipcanjo
07-02-2008, 10:47 PM
Yeah... we've done all of that. Somehow, though, one of the Ditra/inset pieces came out. I hope the rest are ok!?!

Is thinset the best way to get that little piece back in? Could I use the SpeedFinish stuff? Gorilla Glue? Anything else (that might set faster than thinset)??

Thanks,

Yip

Crestone Tile
07-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Yip,

The Speedfinish isn't appropriate, and I wouldn't use the glue either. If you want the tile to have the best chance of staying set, use thinset. I know it's a pain for such a small piece, but that's my humble opinion. :)

Yipcanjo
07-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Thanks, Matt. I really appreciate your help.

Yipcanjo
07-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Looking for some help on this...

We grouted our bathroom tile yesterday with Custom Building Products 'Polyblend Sanded Grout' in the Light Smoke color. I mixed a 7lb box w/ 1 pint of water, per the directions. Actually, I added an additional 2 oz of water too. Stirred it well, and mixed during the process. Afterward, I wiped the grout and tiles down with a well-wrung out sponge. Went well. A couple of hours later, my wife used a soft rag to wipe the haze from the tiles. Those look fine.

So.... today the tiles look just dandy, but the grout is *MUCH* lighter than what we expected. The 'Light Smoke' color we were hoping for is a medium-brown type color, but we ended up with a tan color at best. Very different look. It also seems like a couple of areas where my wife hit the grout while wiping off the tile are *actually* the color we wanted! It's almost like the grout itself has a "grout haze" on it that needs to be removed.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks!

Yip

Mike2
07-04-2008, 01:00 PM
It's possible you have a layer of efflorescence on the surface of the grout. That can be caused by grouting too soon after setting the tile. Find an inconspicuous spot and try scrubbing the grout with a mix of 50:50 vinegar and water. Let the solution dwell on the surface for 5 to 10 before scrubbing lightly. Let that dry and tell us what you get.

:)

JTG
07-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Yip
Go over everything today a couple times with the sponge squeezed out real wall. When the grout lines get wet they will turn darker and just a little more haze will get removed.
When you seal the grout it will get a little darker then also.
And you can joy in the fact most grout gets darker
Good Luck
JTG

Yipcanjo
07-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Well... we set the tile a week ago, so I *hope* that's not the issue. I'll try the water + vinegar scrub, though.

Let it sit for 5 - 10 seconds, or 5 - 10 minutes?

chimivee
07-04-2008, 01:08 PM
It's my understanding that too much water in the mix or clean up can lighten the grout. (you said you added an addional 2 oz to the mix) That said, I just grouted with Polyblend Sanded "Quartz," mixed properly - and my grout ended up white in most places. If I scrape the surface of either the white or even the darker areas, it is WHITE underneath. I am first to suspect user error... but if that's the case, and from what I've gleaned on this forum, it seems that Polyblend many not be the most "user" friendly. Wish I had a solution.

Mike2
07-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Oops. That would be 5 to 10 minutes

:)

Yipcanjo
07-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Jerry -- Could I cause more harm by adding "water" - even from a mostly wrung-out sponge - to the grout? Otherwise, you leave me VERY hopeful! :)

James -- I know that too much water can harm grout, but the box said 1 pint / 7lbs + up to an additional 4 oz of water. I added 2 oz, so well within their tolerances, I believe.

chimivee
07-04-2008, 01:27 PM
the box said 1 pint / 7lbs + up to an additional 4 oz of water. I added 2 oz, so well within their tolerances, I believe.
Ah, okay. Yes, it does indeed sound like it was mixed to spec.

Davestone
07-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Also i have seen the dry towel wiping actually pushes the dust you clean off the tile right onto the joint,a cleaning i think will definitely help.

custombuilt
07-04-2008, 05:03 PM
like dave said i see it happen all the time when wiped with a dry rag after---I usually just wipe it good with a wet sponge (after dried) which typically does wonders, then try the vinager

JTG
07-04-2008, 05:49 PM
After one week a little water is not going to harm you grout.

scuttlebuttrp
07-04-2008, 06:44 PM
James,
Are you looking at grout or thinset?
Never had a problem with custom; it was the first grout I ever used.

Yip,
The dust idea sounds plausible. I've also heard of grout getting washed out because of well water.

chimivee
07-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Are you looking at grout or thinset?
Grout for sure. My thinset was gray. Again, I'm not ruling out user error on my part... but I don't know what the error was, nor the remedy. :(

Yipcanjo
07-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Sad to say, wiping the grout off -- either "water" alone, or a vinegar+water 50/50 mix -- hasn't done a whole lot. The grout does look better when wet, but honestly the color isn't quite right still. We're going to go ahead and use some AquaMix "grout colorant" to both get the color we want *AND* seal the grout. A bit of a hassle, for sure, but the grout colorant holds up very, very well, which is nice.

Thanks, everyone, for your help!