How do I get rid of dried adhesive? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : How do I get rid of dried adhesive?

tfreitas71
06-25-2008, 08:24 AM
OK, so we are going to be laying 18 X 18 inch porcelin tile down in our den. What type of adhesive (the CHEAPEST) would work? Can I use Mapei Premixed Adhesive & Grout???? The new tile will be laid over existing ceramic tile. I know it is not best to go cheap but in this case the only thing cheap will be the adhesive.

Thanks in advance for your advice!!!!

Sponsored Links

ddmoit
06-25-2008, 08:51 AM
Welcome to the forum.:) What can we call you?

"Premixed thinset" is usually more expensive than proper thinset - and it completely inappropriate for your situation. It would likely never dry between 18" porcelain tiles and your existing tiles.

Tell us more about your existing tiles. What kind? How big? How were they installed? Why are you tiling over them?

tfreitas71
06-25-2008, 08:56 AM
Oops sorry - You can call me Tami.

The exisiting tiles that are down are the asbestos tiles commonly found in school flooring. The "old school" type. They are 9" X 9". They are installed against each other (no grout). We are tiling over them due to not wanting to call HazMat to come and collect them due to the asbestos.

The reason we are trying to go the "cheap" route is just simply because money is running out for this project.

Thanks again!!!

ddmoit
06-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the clarification, Tami. I would never have guessed that you were talking about those old 9"X9" asphalt tiles.

It's really best to remove them. Although they probably do contain asbestos, they are not dangerous unless the asbestos becomes friable (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/friable).

I suppose there are cases where you can tile over them, but your floor would have to be really flat. I'll leave a discussion of the method to one of the real pros.

Still, it's best to remove them. They usually come up pretty easy. Then you have to scrape up the cutback adhesive with a 4" razor scraper that can be found at the big box stores. Wetting down the area with a mist of water will keep any asbestos from going airborne.

bbcamp
06-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Your old tile may decide to come up on it's own. That'd be really bad if your have new tile stuck to it. :sick:

I'd rather you switch to a floating engineered wood or laminate floor if you couldn't hire an asbestos abatement company to remove the tile.

dgunnels
06-25-2008, 09:52 AM
I agree with Bob if you don't want to pull that old tile up. Another idea, I don't know how large an area you are talking about but what about a large rug?

tfreitas71
06-25-2008, 09:52 AM
Thanks guys! I am going to call our local Hazmat removal service and see what it will entell to go that route. I am just getting really nervous because this is starting to become a bigger and more expensive project than first thought.

Once we get the tile up, can we still tile over the exisiting black stuff the original tiles were stuck to?

tfreitas71
06-25-2008, 09:55 AM
Neesie,

The area we are redoing is approx. 371 sq. ft. We would have went with carpet but we have 2 cats and 1 dog. This is the reason we went with tile. We already have the tile so no turning back now. Here is a picture of the new tile - http://georgiacarpet.com/images/porcelian-tile/venetian-gray.jpg.

Tami

bbcamp
06-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Tami, the black stuff is called "cutback adhesive." It, too, may contain asbestos, but it is safe to scrape it up with a razor scraper, so long as you don't create fine dust that gets in the air. Any modified thinset that is rated for use over cutback (it'll say so on the bag) is OK to set your tiles.

...this is starting to become a bigger and more expensive project than first thought.:D

dgunnels
06-25-2008, 10:01 AM
we have 2 cats and 1 dog

Well, if you hadn't already bought the tile I was going to suggest astro-turf. :lol1:

The "black stuff" is cutback and it also contains asbestos. In fact, the cutback is probably actually the more dangerous than the tile depending on how it's handled. The problem is not that the asbestos exists but if it becomes airborne and then inhaled.

You didn't say but what part of the country are you in? I noticed that your link was for Georgia Tile. The state you live in may affect how costly this removal is.

tfreitas71
06-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Can you give me an example of a "modified" thinset? Sorry to sound so stupid!!! :rolleyes:

tfreitas71
06-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Neesie,

We live in Nashville, TN.

bbcamp
06-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Is this a wood subfloor or concrete slab?

bbcamp
06-25-2008, 10:04 AM
Versabond is a modified thinset.

tfreitas71
06-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Thanks to all of you !!!! You guys are the BOMB!

tfreitas71
06-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Bob, it is in the basement and is on a concrete slab.

bbcamp
06-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Ok, start scrapin'. :D

mozilla
06-25-2008, 12:32 PM
I just finished my den last month and i also had to deal with old 9 x 9 asbestos vinyl tiles. I'll share some tips that i found to be helpful.

Use a dust mask or better yet, a respirator when scraping the tiles.
Use a 16oz. hammer to break up the tiles( This step saved me hours of labor with a scraper) Scrape the smaller bits that the hammer left.
Clean,sweep & bag as you go. Once you have a pile of tiles, straight to the trashbag & break out a shop-vac for the finer dust particles. Good luck :)

dgunnels
06-25-2008, 12:38 PM
Nice work Randy!

tfreitas71.....Do you have a real name we can call you?

Any news from the haz mat folks? TN shouldn't be too bad cost wise. If you decide to do it yourself please wear a dust mask at the least.

tfreitas71
06-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Neesie and everyone,

I called an enviromental service company in my area. The owner told me that there is no EPA regulations for residential in the state of TN. He also gave me the number to a landfil about 30 miles from here who will dispose of the tile properly for us.

Oh and you all can call me Tami.

Tami

tfreitas71
06-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Randy,

Thanks for the tip!! I would have never thought to use a hammer first. Once again thank you and OH nice work!!!

Tami

tfreitas71
07-02-2008, 07:50 AM
OK, my husband and I are almost through tiling our downstairs basement floor. We are using 18" X 18" porcelin tile. This is the first time either him or I have ever laid tile. with that being said, as we were laying the tile, we did not think to wipe the excess adhesive off. Now it is dry and hard. I was wondering if we can use some sort of abrasive or will this rub the finish off? Here is a picture of the tile we are using - http://georgiacarpet.com/images/porcelian-tile/venetian-gray.jpg

Tami

jgleason
07-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Hi Tami,
I merged your other thread with this new one. Now, in the previous thread it was recommended that you not use the premix but use a modified thinset, like Versabond. What did you end up using?

How much is on the surface of the tile? Post a pic or two if you can and let us know what you used to install the tiles. Hopefully it will be a decent modified thinset. Depending on how much you left on the tile you may get away with a mix of vinegar/water and a scrub brush.

tfreitas71
07-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Well, I told my husband NOT to use the adhesive that I mentioned in my previous post BUT he used it anyway (due to getting a great deal on it (he got 27 gallons for $70.00)- So far, so good - It has all dried and no loose tiles. I am attaching a pic of the tile which is not complete yet. There is not much adhesive on them but enough to make it difficult to get off with just water and a sponge.
Thanks for your help!

Tami

jgleason
07-02-2008, 01:56 PM
tsk tsk, using premix on large tiles like that is just asking for trouble! It may not end up being such a great deal after all.

So, to remove the mastic from the surface of the tile use very warm, even hot water along with a scrub brush. It should soften up. You may want to try using a razor scraper as well. :goodluck:

Mapei Type I premix thinset is specifically not recommended by the manufacturer for installing floor tiles larger than 6"x6".

tfreitas71
07-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Joe, thanks for answering my question. Now I have one more - What could happen from using the premix except for loose tiles? I just want to know what to look out for!

Tami

jgleason
07-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Hi Tami,
the main thing is that the premix will not have dried completely so the tiles will have some movement. Movement will cause your grout to crack.